Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing/cleaning advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very new to the world of owning a nice car. Any washing cleaning advice for my Model 3 performance would be awesome.

I’m hand washing and drying with microfiber. All of these towels were recommended to me but are still leaving tiny micro scratches that I can spot in the light. Any microfiber cloth advice would be good...

What’s your system? What products do you like? I want to take care of my baby and I feel like I’m failing already hahaha.

Look up the two bucket method. There are millions of videos out there. If I remember correctly I watched the Meguiars one first, then fell down the obsessive detailing hole for a while and watched many others, gradually adding grit guards, clay bars, mops, sealants, waxes and many other unguents. Be careful out there, your wallet will suffer but your car will SHINE.

After ten years of the obsessive detailing on a variety of cars, I got this car PPFed and ceramic coated on delivery and I've reverted to just the two-bucket method.

I have full exterior Xpel PPF on our 3, so I just use a clean microfiber to dry. For the NSX and Volt, which only have PPF on the front, I use a MetroVac Air Force Master Blaster to dry. It blows warm, filtered air to blast away the water from the car. It's expensive and loud, but it does work...

Buy about 20 microfibre wash cloths. Drop them all into the bucket with the soap and water. Take one out, wring out excess water, fold it in half two times. Wash a small area with one side, flip over and wash a small area with the other side. Then undo the last fold and fold in the opposite direction and use these two clean sides for a small section each. Toss the cloth into a pile of dirt wash cloths, grab the next one out of the bucket and repeat. Each clean section of wash cloth only touches 1/80th of your car and your not dragging grit around scratching your finish.

No second bucket needed. Gather up all the cloths and launder. Store in the wash bucket for the next cleaning.

I used to detail cars back in the day. When I got my Model 3 - I was pretty adamant about hand washing only.

However, I just do not have the time for hand washing only.

Plus, I live in a climate where I need a good wash to remove road salt.

I recently began taking my car to a nice automatic car wash. I allow extra space between me and the car ahead. The employees seem to recognize my paranoia and do not give me grief.

It's just a car and they won't give you anymore for it when you sell it in the future. Hard to remind myself of this.

I live in the Northeast as well and don't have access to an area that is warm enough in winter to do the ONR method mentioned here and on other posts, so I use a combination of the do-it-yourself spray and wash down the street (water only, don't use their brush, and be sure to spray the undercarriage as well) and a touchless car wash available nearby. Do NOT use a car wash with brushes for a variety of reasons. Remember this; in winter months, the primary objective is to keep salt and other corrosive chemicals off of your car. Come spring, you will be able to return to methods that will make the car look great. Mine cleaned up beautifully after a Maine winter (and lots of quarters left behind at the spray and wash).

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I need to get past the first month of initial wear and stop being so sensitive. Ultimately, I’m handwashing, using micro fiber, waxing, and already going above and beyond. Sigh. If only they could stay perfect hahah.

will take on the two bucket method for now! Thank you.

A step that is often overlooked in the car wash process that is prone to induce scratches and swirls is drying the car. Here is a video by Larry from Ammo NYC. He is an obsessed detailing expert and has posted many informative videos.

To avoid inducing scratches and swirls while drying, you can either use forced air or you can dry using a drying aid. A drying aid serves as a lubricant. My favorite is Ammo NYC Hydrate. I actually just ordered 2 bottles since he offers free shipping on Black Friday. And no, I do not have an affiliation with Larry. I just really appreciate his expertise.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobRain
Buy about 20 microfibre wash cloths. Drop them all into the bucket with the soap and water. Take one out, wring out excess water, fold it in half two times. Wash a small area with one side, flip over and wash a small area with the other side. Then undo the last fold and fold in the opposite direction and use these two clean sides for a small section each. Toss the cloth into a pile of dirt wash cloths, grab the next one out of the bucket and repeat. Each clean section of wash cloth only touches 1/80th of your car and your not dragging grit around scratching your finish.

No second bucket needed. Gather up all the cloths and launder. Store in the wash bucket for the next cleaning.
What soap do you use?

Saw the Auto Spa Suds N Go set from Costco today for $25 and wanted to know if this brush was ok to use on the baby soft paint of the Model 3? I appreciate there are many washing recommendations out there (I use the “Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax ALL“ microfiber towel method when I have time), but I’m trying to come up with a solution that will allow me give to give the car a quick wash in under 15 mins and not use too much water. We have a lot of dust and pollen in the air which leaves a layer on the car every day and hopping this will fit the bill.

Attachments

• 1569FD57-3D88-4E19-8187-CC1FFD22FB84.jpeg
    1569FD57-3D88-4E19-8187-CC1FFD22FB84.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 99
  • A23459E3-A5A8-4D09-B673-41B7E9719FAB.jpeg
    A23459E3-A5A8-4D09-B673-41B7E9719FAB.jpeg
    891.7 KB · Views: 55
I wouldn’t touch my soft paint with that brush.

If you’re just dealing with dust/pollen, best to wash, clay bar, and then put on a good spray-on paint sealant after washes. Then with the super smooth paint surface you’ll have, you’ll be able to use a California Duster to easily remove the dust/pollen between washes. If you’re paint surface is crap, dust sticks really well.

I use Nanoskin towel with Nano Shock sealant to clay bar and seal in the same step. Super easy. Then after each wash, a quick sprits with Nano Shock keeps the paint super shiny and slick.

Everything is on Amazon for less than $100.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tbwnm
I agree with TLLMRRJ - I would not use that brush on the Tesla paint.

If you already use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All, isn't that a good solution? I believe you should be able to wash the entire car in about 15-20 minutes using this waterless wash.

Reactions: tbwnm
I agree with TLLMRRJ - I would not use that brush on the Tesla paint.

If you already use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All, isn't that a good solution? I believe you should be able to wash the entire car in about 15-20 minutes using this waterless wash.

I find with all the dust/pollen I can't realistically use the dry method (unless I maybe use 10 microfiber towels per wash and good deal of Wash Wax All). I always have to wash the car first and then do another pass with the Wash Wax ALL. Takes me about 45 minutes and another 15 minutes or so for the inside. Really needs to be done every week but I realistically I just don't have an hour a week to give to this. I might give the clay bar, sealant, California duster method a go as proposed by TLLMRRJ and see how that goes. Thanks!

Last edited: