Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing method / PPF / CeramicPro Gold 9H / 36k Miles & 1 year later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
The question about paint protection film / ceramic coating / washing comes up often. I wanted to post a short video of my car after 36k miles and one year old.

Had my 2017 S100D covered head to toe with PPF and CeramicPro Gold 9H a week after delivery. I do NOT use the multi-bucket 100 rag/towel method of washing lol. I have a monthly unlimited wash sticker for my local laser touchless car wash and just run it through that as needed. Drive it home and spritz it with OptiCoat gloss detailer spray and wipe dry with microfiber towels bought by the bundle at Sam’s Club. No special towels either.

Here is a short video taken a year and 36k Miles later:

A side note. I had just the front of my 2015 S85D PPF’ed and decided I would have 100% coverage on any new car from that point forward. On that note our new X75D is coming home tomorrow from being covered and coated as well.

Will post pics of our X75D soon.....3 months maybe 6 months for sure :):)

FA0DF678-5B23-4D79-AEBC-C1C585BDA126.jpeg
Just had our X delivered from our detailer / installer same package head to toe...

I recommend professional polish before any paint protection. Paint from the factory isn’t perfect. This isn’t just Tesla related, it’s just a matter of fact of all new car manufacturers including top end brands. On a side note if you already have some swirls and defects ceramic pro does a good job of hiding them and making the paint look better.

Reactions: appleguru
Sorry if this is a newbie question... Isn't it more cost effective to just re-paint the car after like 2-3 years than to get these films/paint protection? Just something I had on my mind...

Yes.....BUT if you have never had your car finish fully protected before you wouldn’t understand why people do it. It makes such a difference that I wish I had even remotely known about it during my BMW ownership years as well.

Last edited: