Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing my Model S - First Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2-cents:

• Touchless carwashes are great, especially in the winter, but they don't get all the dirt off your car's paint the way hand washing will.

• Before hand washing, I suggest rinsing off your car with a pressure washer (soap not required at this stage). This will prevent you from scratching the paint with fine dirt particles when you hand wash it.

• NEVER use a sponge to wash your car. Instead, use a lambswool wash mitt and high quality car wash soap. Keep as much soapy water between the mitt and the paint as you can. I recommend laundering the wash mitt after every wash, so you may want to buy several of them. Do not use fabric softener on the mitts and allow them to air-dry.

• I dry my car with a synthetic chamois. These are a fantastic invention and should also be laundered after each use due to microscopic abrasives you may have picked up while drying you car. The chamois can go right back into its container from the washing machine. They are supposed to remain damp. I also use a white towel to do door sills and jams, as well as the plastic surround in the frunk.

Thanks to these precautions, my P85 with 33K miles on it still looks brand new, even after two Vermont winters.

Todd_WashSM.jpg

Really? Hmm. That surprises me.

Enlighten me. English is not my native language. Where in my post did I judge you or insult you?
I was talking about a car. Not about you.
I'm really curious how you believe that this was judging or insulting you.

Thank you for responding. I deeply appreciate it. Honestly, I think I was having a bit of a "moment" when I read your comment. But I do have thoughts, speaking only for myself.

1: I am a woodworker who specializes in finish, so that sets the stage.
2: I have LOVED cars since I was probably 4 years old. My Dad had an original Ford Thunderbird and at first sight, I was completely in love. That began my passion and love for not only cars, but the paint that made them so attractive. I have been obsessed ever since. I would beg my parents to let me wash and wax their cars when I was a kid. Once they finally thought I was old enough to do it safely, they allowed it. Victory! And their cars always looked perfect.

To me, it is not the car, per se. They will always go away sooner or later, as we all will. It is the PROCESS of making, keeping, helping a lovely item maintain it's best form. It may be a 200 year old dining sideboard (from my family and now in my home with great pride), or it may be something as simple and pedestrian as my gardening tools (sharp blades...). I just plain simply enjoy helping physical items be the best they can be. I actually do the same in my relationships with people too. I try, as best I can, to provide the support they need to be their best...only somewhat successful, but at least I am trying...Why should we not be the best that we can be while we are here on this planet for the short time that we are allowed?

So, I think your comment, perceived by me to be made quite strongly, pressed that "button" in me and I felt compelled to respond.

You are completely correct. A Tesla is simply only a car. And it will go away soon. Perhaps more soon than some of us would like. It is only a "thing". When, one day, when I am gone, who is going to care? Nobody...I absolutely guarantee it. But while we are here and we have the rare privilege of buying something so groundbreaking, expensive, hopefully mind changing in our carbon-intensive culture, AND simply cool beyond belief, I believe that every single one of us should enjoy it to the fullest. Whether that be obsessing until 3AM polishing (that's me. Yes, a loser. But boy oh boy, does she look good!) or just letting it age as is until it's utility is complete.

Thanks for allowing my rant and my reply.

Some thoughts having given my car a wash today. Watch the mirrors (this one is kidna obvious), side marker lights and tail lights soap likes to hide in there. You'll want to crack a door while drying to force the handles out to avoid them dumping water over your recently dried car. The Model S has significant portions of exterior paint that is actually somewhat hidden (e.g. edges of fenders hidden by frunk lid, run off channels on either side of the rear hatch, bottom of the rear hatch) which you'll want to clean. It's been my observation that Michelin Primacy tires always look dirty, not sure what to do about that.

Good point. One thing I'll likely do is after I think I've dried it, is to take a lap or two around my block, then come back and dry up any water runoff from the cracks and crevices. Unfortunately, I don't have a compressor to get the water out--but I DO have a leaf blower. If my neighbors think I'm weird now, just you wait... haha! :biggrin:

Good point. One thing I'll likely do is after I think I've dried it, is to take a lap or two around my block, then come back and dry up any water runoff from the cracks and crevices. Unfortunately, I don't have a compressor to get the water out--but I DO have a leaf blower. If my neighbors think I'm weird now, just you wait... haha! :biggrin:
Wouldn't you be worried to be sand-blasting your car?

Wouldn't you be worried to be sand-blasting your car?

I use a gas powered Stihl leaf blower to blow dry my MS and Rover. Massive time saver and gets all the water out the nooks and crannies. Not sure why you would think it's getting sand blasted unless you wash your car on a dirt road or the beach? It just blows air at a high velocity.

Obviously, don't try to blast the car with air by bouncing the flow of air off the ground.

Obviously, don't try to blast the car with air by bouncing the flow of air off the ground.
I think that was what caused my instinctive question. When you see people using a leaf-blower to... err... blow leaves, they obviously point it at the ground. So in my mind the air flow of a leaf blower always has debris in it. But of course, in your own driveway, pointing it straight at the car, it wouldn't do that...

I use a gas powered Stihl leaf blower to blow dry my MS and Rover. Massive time saver and gets all the water out the nooks and crannies.
^ This! Leaf blower makes quick work of drying car. Since nothing touches your car, probably safer on paint than any MF or wafer towels. I'm lazy and always look for new methods, I'm guilty of buying virtually everything car wash related gadgets available on Amazon ;-)... So here goes my lazy method:

1. Spray all wheels with Meguiar's D14001 Wheel Brightener. Let soak.
2. Pre-rinse car with power washer, but not touching the wheels (allowing wheels more time to soak in & devolve the brake dust).

3. Use Chemical Guys - MTM Next Generation Professional Foam Cannon with power washer to lay a nice & thick coat of suds on entire car & wheels. Allow suds to soak for 2-3 mins.

4. Rinse off suds with power washer.

5. Leaf blower to dry out car. Wafer MF towel is still needed to dry out door sill & lift gate in opened position. If you don't have leaf blower, would highly recommend getting the Silicone T-Bar Waterblade.

Note: If car is caked up in mud & dirt then I would deploy the 2-bucket with MF washing mitt after the foam gun.

I use a gas powered Stihl leaf blower to blow dry my MS and Rover. Massive time saver and gets all the water out the nooks and crannies. Not sure why you would think it's getting sand blasted unless you wash your car on a dirt road or the beach? It just blows air at a high velocity.

GAS powered blower???

It's been my observation that Michelin Primacy tires always look dirty, not sure what to do about that.
Came across this very good article which explains "tire browning" and why it is actually a good thing that you shouldn't try to get rid of:
Tire Detailing DetailingSpot
Apparently, it is due to a compound called "antiozonant" which they put in the rubber to prevent ozone and UV damage. It continuously leaches to the surface as you drive the car and protects the rubber. In short, it's not good to clean it off since it's there to protect the tire and if you do clean it off it will come back in a week anyway.
The article also covers different tire coatings to make the tire look shiny but the caveat is that they are probably not good for the tires.

Came across this very good article which explains "tire browning" and why it is actually a good thing that you shouldn't try to get rid of:
Tire Detailing DetailingSpot
Apparently, it is due to a compound called "antiozonant" which they put in the rubber to prevent ozone and UV damage. It continuously leaches to the surface as you drive the car and protects the rubber. In short, it's not good to clean it off since it's there to protect the tire and if you do clean it off it will come back in a week anyway.
The article also covers different tire coatings to make the tire look shiny but the caveat is that they are probably not good for the tires.

Thanks that was informative.

As has been discussed, to each their own when it comes to keeping the MS clean and "up to standards". I had a local guy put a Rejex coating on my MS. After the clay wax, the coating was applied. It works very well. I usually use a dry dusting cloth to keep it clean.

On another note, the local SC gives free car washes at the local Brushless Car Wash. All good usually. But I have the rim protectors from Evannex. Sure enough, both left side wheels were bumped in the track and had some damage. Glad I had rim protectors! Hand wash from now on.

Because the car is manufactured in California, there are legal restrictions on the use if Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), which ultimately means that Telsa's paint is not very hard.

You observation was confirmed for me by a Tesla delivery point detailer who had previously detailed for european luxury car brands. He said that Tesla paint is the softest he has ever worked on.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rheazombi for your power wash video.

Just one question from this denizen of arid SoCal; what is that mysterious fluid that was sprayed on the car? Could that be the fabled stuff we have heard of, called - what was that name again? Ah yes - water? :)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Model-S-First-Time/member.php/1209-Rheazombi

How do you protect the paint finish from the sun? After 10 years of parking outside at work in the summer, my Prius's paint is fading and peeling; avoiding that on Model S is very important.

Clay bar to remove contaminants in the paint that will spread defects under stress unless they're removed. I clay top surfaces of my cars every 2 years and the sides every 4. You'll be shocked how much crap comes out of the surface of the clear coat.

Just got my new baby this past weekend. It's already a bit dusty and will be ready for a wash soon! I have been leaning toward the CG (Chemical Guys) product line. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I would need? I usually take my old car (2003 Honda Civic--quite the upgrade eh?) to the auto wash, which I realize, from reading other threads, is a huge no no.

My MS is White and I was thinking of a 2 bucket wash system. Wash and wax. They have wax specifically for white cars. What supplies could I possibly need and which wash would you recommend?

Has anyone had issues with using hose water? Where I live, I have particularly hard water, but I'm not sure how much that matters if I'm using the water as a simple rinse agent.

Lastly, what about those microfiber towels and applicators? Can you just throw them in the wash or do you guys just rinse it out and air dry?

Summary of Questions:

1) What soap, wax, and cleaning supplies would I need to do a good wash job on my model S?
2) Any issues or ideas to mitigate hard water? Or is this a moot point?
3) Any tips for using, then cleaning/reusing microfiber towels, drying towels (what to use), and applicators?

Thanks guys!

As far as towels go, we have found that using a microfiber-specific cleaner and not getting them hot in the dryer will extend the life of your towels a ton. We use low dryer heat until not quite dry, then air dry. For microfiber cleaner we use Micro Clean by Shine Supply. Great stuff. Also if you want the best towels check out Microfiber Madness - most amazing towels we've ever used if you want to get a bit nutty :love:

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm fairly new to this high-end take-care-of-the-paint kind of car ownership and I hope you'll forgive my newb questions.

I know myself and my habits, and I am not going to bathe my car weekly as many here do, nor am I going to wax/seal regularly, and an automatic brushless car wash is a LOT more likely than a careful hand wash due to schedule and climate. Thus, I am considering a coat to protect the paint. I hear a lot about Opti-Coat, and a rumor that CQuartz might be the better choice. Can anyone here chime in with recommendations?

Thanks!

I hear a lot about Opti-Coat, and a rumor that CQuartz might be the better choice. Can anyone here chime in with recommendations?

Thanks!
The rumor I heard (and my installer backed this up) was that CQuartz had the better water-shedding (translation: better for lazy owners like me) properties. I don't have comparative data to offer, but I can tell you I am very, VERY happy with CQuartz Finest. I even run the car thru one of those hanging-rags auto washes. I will probably take her in after 2 years to get a de-iron maintenance.

I use Eco Green and love it. I can clean my whole MS using about 2 quarts of water and it comes out beautifully. I rinse the microfiber towels out after use and wash them in the washing machine when they get ugly. Eco Green has several strengths of wash. I use one called "Freedom One". Others have more wax in the mix and take a bit more care in wiping off the residue. They also make a tire dressing that works well.
Washing is a two-step process.....Wet a microfiber towel in water and wring most of it out. Apply a spray or two of Freedom One on the towel and spray a minimal amount on the part of the car that you want to clean. Wipe the area and then use a dry microfiber towel to wipe off the haze. That's it. Their website has a "how to " video which uses a MS as the car being cleaned. Good stuff.