Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have my MYLR yet. I am slightly concerned about me living in cow country here in the NE US and buying a white car. I usually can't go more than a day or two without needing a wash on my Red ICE car. The roads here are just dirty and when it gets even slightly wet outside the wheels sling all of it right onto my cars. On any given day you can probably pick out my car as the dirtiest car in the parking lot, even when I wash it regularly.

What I have typically done is use a drive through wash close to where I work where I pay a monthy fee for unlimited washes. Who wants to take an hour minimum from their day to wash a car when it's 20F out? The drive through wash I go through has been good to my other car. That wash uses 'brushes' but they are of the soft felt type and not rough bristle brushes. That wash is gentle. I have seem people driving high dollar cars though it without a second thought. Do you think it would be ok to go through this wash with a Tesla? This is the type of wash that you enter, put your car in neutral and the car wash pulls the car through. I guess I'm not even sure how to put a Tesla into free roll neutral yet.

In the summer I will sometimes decide to hand wash a car, however due to time I am not generally at liberty to do that, so I prefer to use a wash like this if it doesn't cause issues.

Reactions: HarryChimp
I think there are people who do that. Whenever you wash your car, in an automated machine or otherwise, USE THE CARWASH MODE. It disables the automatic windshield wipers and the charge port flap from opening. Otherwise they'll all go flappy flappy and get broken off.

• Helpful
Reactions: starise
You can do it certainly but dirt from other cars can scuff and scratch the paint. Also, some of the car washes use very strong chemicals.

What I would do in your situation is rinse the vehicle quickly as often as needed with a hose or pressure washer. Then when your able hand wash.

It's certainly understandable however if you opt to use the automated car wash too.

There have been many, many threads here on TMC with people complaining about soft paint on the the Tesla. I always bucket wash mine in a heated garage, so I can not say if those are true or not, but might be something to think about.

There have also been threads and pictures posted about harsh chemicals in car wash that discolor the black trim.

You might invest in a portable pressure washer like others have suggested.

Do you think it would be ok to go through this wash with a Tesla?
Absolutely, I do it all the time for my 2018 M3. No issues, easy peasy.
This is the type of wash that you enter, put your car in neutral and the car wash pulls the car through. I guess I'm not even sure how to put a Tesla into free roll neutral yet.
You or the car wash attendant need to remain in the driver’s seat to prevent the car going into Park. That and turn off the wipers. Also good to fold in the side mirrors. Note that you can set the car wash as a geolocation to automatically fold the mirrors, as I’ve done. Works flawlessly. As for Neutral, best to RTFM. Here’s a link for the Model Y.
In the summer I will sometimes decide to hand wash a car, however due to time I am not generally at liberty to do that, so I prefer to use a wash like this if it doesn't cause issues.
No issues, enjoy a clean car. The scaremongering in the manual and many posts is unwarranted. Now, if you’re prepping your car for a local Concours d’Elegance entry, that’s a whole different ball game. If you’re not, use the car wash.

Last edited:
Tunnel washes are harder on a cars finish than proper hand washing, even the soft brush washes though they're better than synthetic bristles - a real no-no if you care about your finish. Anyone who tells you a good tunnel wash is just as safe as a proper hand wash or even proper rinseless wash routine doesn't know what they're talking about. But you may not care about the difference, and that's your choice.

The finish on Teslas is not as robust as legacy automakers, so more reason to be cautious about tunnel washes. I will only hand wash my MYLR, I had to do that with an earlier black Audi - just depends on how much you care about the finish. If it gets really dirty, I will take it to a pressure wash just to knock off as much dirt as possible.

If you want cheap and convenient, that's what tunnel washes are for. A tunnel wash will certainly get your car clean, and if you don't look closely for swirl marks and scratches, I am sure you will be satisfied. Most people aren't particular about clean scratch free cars...

Tunnel washes are harder on a cars finish than proper hand washing, even the soft brush washes though they're better than synthetic bristles - a real no-no if you care about your finish. The finish on Teslas is not as robust as legacy automakers, so more reason to be cautious about tunnel washes. I will only hand wash my MYLR, I had to do that with an earlier black Audi - just depends on how much you care about the finish. If it gets really dirty, I will take it to a pressure wash just to knock off as much dirt as possible.

If you want cheap and convenient, that's what tunnel washes are for. A tunnel wash will certainly get your car clean, and if you don't look closely for swirl marks and scratches, I am sure you will be satisfied. Most people aren't particular about clean scratch free cars...
Agree, and respectfully disagree. Hand-washing with proper mitts/cloths is certainly easier on any finish than alternatives, including the touchless car washes with their high-pressure strong detergent sprays. That said, tunnel washes today are far more gentle to finishes than those of years ago. I foam-cannoned/hand-washed my black Model 3 for the first year primarily out of fear raised by Tesla’s owner’s manual cautions and catastrophies that would happen as threatened by online forums like this one. After a year or so, I tried the local car wash to remove mud, dirt, bugs, etc., after returning from an especially dirty road trip (no, not OFF-road, just DIRTY-road). Lo and behold, no damage. Haven’t hand-washed since…don’t intend to either. Car remains scratch-free, at least to the naked eye. I suppose a scanning electron microscope would reveal some clear coat issues, but I sold mine to buy the Model 3 so I don’t know.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
Winter weather in Cleveland - Good news, they use so much salt that the roads are usually in really good shape. Bad news - they use so much salt that my blue Model Y frequently looks like a white Model Y.

Because of this, I find I may have to wash the car twice a week. I use a touchless car wash, and after 30,000 miles the finish still look perfect. And thank you to the engineer who created Car Wash Mode...

I have a video that will be published soon. This is how I maintain my Tesla. The pressure washer is key. If your short on time rinse with pressure washer to keep it mostly presentable until you can hand wash it. Get a grit guard for your bucket.

Get some mud flaps this will reduce alot cow *sugar* getting on the bottom half of your vehicle as wellas reducing tar which may be flicked up
Agree! I live in a rural area as well. I have the Tesla mud flaps on the front (because they are flexible) and the tesmanian mud flaps on the rear.

Because I have the P and it rides lower the tesmanian mud flaps broke on me when going over speed bumps. The Tesla mud flaps scrape but they are flexible so they don't break. They will also protect from rocks and gravel being flung up by the tires.

I read somewhere that bristles are actually better than soft cloth automatic car washes. Their explanation was that the soft cloth will hold onto the dust and dirt from earlier cars that can scratch your car. Who really knows, though? If that is a good car wash and you aren’t going to be washing it by hand, I suppose the decision is made for you. Good luck!

I bought a small portable battery powered pressure washer. Draws water from a bucket and works well to get most of the dirt off. If I have time, I follow up with a soft car wash mitten to remove the remaining film and then a final rinse. Works great.
I don't use any soap/detergent. It's just dirt on the car, not grease and all of these can damage the finish and remove wax, etc.

Reactions: 3YMimi73 and KJD
I second a portable electric power pressure washer. Just don't go overboard and start removing paint. Get a foam cannon and some good suds. Pressure spray the car getting under the wheel wells. Follow up with the foam cannon, let it soak and rinse. If by chance it's really dirty, use a soft hand mitten to go over the car once the foam has a chance to work dumping the mitten often in clean bucket of water so not to carry the dirt all over the car. It sound like a lot of work but you can do this all within 15min. This also gives you a chance to clean out the door jams and around the trunk and frunk jams. You can always look into PPF. This makes cleaning a bit easier. it's also self healing so if you do happen to obtain a scratch running though the car wash, usually leaving it in the sun will make the scratch fade.
Congratulations on your purchase. The MY is an awesome vehicle that checks many boxes. I think it has a very sporty feel to it but yet big enough to carry anything you need. It also can do a little tow duty if needed. Getting the long range also allows you to later purchase the acceleration boost if you want a little extra kick in the future.

Reactions: starise and mspohr
Thanks for these helpful suggestions.

Maybe there are different grades of touchless car washes. They always left a dirty haze, and I'll admit, the higher pressure concerns me. If I were going in a tunnel wash behind a muddied up 4 wheeler I would be hesitant to go through. I have never had dirt scratches to my other car. Not sure how they manage to do it, but the dirt mostly stays off the brushes between washes.

I have a few pressure washers, a lower pressure electric plugin and a higher pressure gasoline powered one. I might just leave the lower pressure Harbor Freight special outside under the overhang in the summer all ready to go. I could put it in an empty trash container to keep it further out of the weather. In winter this is not an option here as lines will freeze.

I am looking at PPF for the front and mud flaps. Front of car is a bug magnet. The bugs are like glue sticking to the front when they are collected. Lower side panels especially prone to road gunk. I just don't like a dirty car. I understand that due to my rural area I probably won't be keeping a pristine car all the time.

If you get a pressure washer with a high enough pressure to remove all of the dirt you risk damaging the paint.
Best to use a lower pressure washer to get off the big chunks and then use a soft car wash mitt to remove the remaining film. Use gentle pressure and rinse it frequently to avoid scratches.

• Helpful
If you're looking for what your car will look like or where you might want PPF, I present to you exhibit A.

IMG_3632.jpg

Driving in the Catskills in upstate NY in the winter does this every time my car pretends it's clean. Notice the beautiful gradient it forms up the side of the car! Mud flaps might be a good move, but I tend to like that my car looks like it lives a fun life outside!

Reactions: mspohr and starise
Here is the pressure washer that I use:

Here is the pressure washer that I use:
Very nice. Reminds me of my Harbor Freight special- I don't know why I cut corners after ordering a Tesla. Might as well spend it up on a nice one lol.

I just remembered that I have valves installed that will route hot water out to my front hose connection. I could give the Tesla a HOT pressure wash.

Very nice. Reminds me of my Harbor Freight special- I don't know why I cut corners after ordering a Tesla. Might as well spend it up on a nice one lol.

I just remembered that I have valves installed that will route hot water out to my front hose connection. I could give the Tesla a HOT pressure wash.
I wouldn't use hot. Warm would be fine. If you want to go crazy you can put filters on the water supply and all that. I don't bother...I have a sediment filter which goes down to 1 micron on the house.