TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Washing the damn thing

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Interior & Exterior' started by lafrisbee, Dec 29, 2019.

1. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

So I need a hose and a squeegee. Period. If I ever wash it.... How come one of you lazy asses didn't state this already?
    My damn truck takes an hour. That's why I only wash it once a yr..if I ever do.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Don't forget the Brasso!

https://www.amazon.com/Brasso-Polish-Bottle-Stainless-Aluminum/dp/B00U370E1U/ref=asc_df_B00U370E1U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312279483767&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=797808913693374008&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031575&hvtargid=pla-569483874654&psc=1

3. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

"SCREW IT THEN!"
    One of the least noted aspects of the vehicle is that you won't waste your time having to primp it. And now you think I am going to "brasso" it? ever?
    how soon can I get my "hunred" back! lol

4. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

Now do a 2 ton belt buckle.

• Funny x 3
  5. keeney

keeney Member

If you don't need a pressure washer to get it clean, you are not using your truck to its fullest.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  6. DMC-81

DMC-81 Member

It should be low maintenance for sure. You can get SS products to remove stains if you get them.
    I have a DeLorean and I just wash it with plain water and a micro-fiber cloth, followed by drying with a chamois style cloth to avoid water spots.
    Recently, I had clear drips on a quarter panel that wouldn't wipe off with water or even soap and water. I tried Acetone..no go. Then I tried Mineral Spirits. That took it off completely with no residue.

I'm guessing Brasso was a joke, but I wouldn't use this unless you want the polish the whole truck. Using it on a spot will likely polish that area and make it mismatch the rest of the panel.

I'm sure Tesla will issue a maintenance guide for the stainless steel panels. From experience, SS is pretty hardy, but there are some acid based products that you need to be careful of.

• Helpful x 4
    • Like x 1
  7. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

Here is my SS Maintenance plan:
    Describes my routine to a "T"esla

patina
    [ pat-n-uh, puh-tee-nuh ]
    SEE SYNONYMS FOR patina ON THESAURUS.COM
    noun
    film or coloring appearing gradually on some other substance.
    a surface calcification of implements, usually indicating great age.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  8. DMC-81

DMC-81 Member

Hilarious!! :)

9. dazedNconfuzed

Some surfaces improve looks with age, weather, wear, and damage.

• Like x 2
  10. TechOps

TechOps Member

I believe the official instructions are to take a sledgehammer to the doors, that should loosen up the dirt. Then leave it out in the rain. If the windows are still dirty, throw a large steel ball bearing at them a couple of times and that should do the trick.

• Funny x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  11. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

I can’t wait to bedazzle mines

• Funny x 1
  12. $TRONG

$TRONG Member

One thing I know about brushed stainless is that it’s one of the most fragile finishes you’ll ever see. I used to make stainless kitchen hoods and they could be scratched by a fingernail. They also show fingerprints very easily. So while it is durable, it will have to have a patina in order to realize that durability. People expecting to wash mud off and have it look factory fresh are mistaken. Rubbing dirt on the finish will dull and scratch it immediately. And unlike car finish it can’t be polished out. Just adding some reality to the discussion.

• Like x 1
  13. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Member

I don't think it's brushed stainless. Probably similar finish to @DMC-81's car.

14. DMC-81

DMC-81 Member

The DeLorean is made of type 304 stainless steel. It does have a brushed finish that was applied by the manufacturer of the panels (British Steel). It is not as fragile as the experience $trong reported with the oven hoods, which is probably explained by different metallurgy.

The Cybertruck uses a different type of stainless steel ( reportedly a special variety of 301) AND is cold rolled which makes it even harder. Thus, any direct comparison to other types of SS is not really relevant. I didn't see a brushed finish on the CT as revealed. It seemed to be raw / mildly polished.

• Informative x 2
  15. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

I am gonna have fun with it fur sures.....
    I am sure I will get stoned and drunk and break out the oil paints. That'll fall off and I'll get stoned and drunk again.
    The cutest thing happened At Auburn U.
    the two females living next door knocked on our door while they were high and asked if they could paint my 1971 Datsun four-door. This was in 1987, The Datsun was more of a faded gray primer than the original red. Both were a matt finish.
    I said yes. The next morning the passenger door was a cross between
    Anatomy And Physiology for Dummies - Google Search
    AND
    Vintage Operation the electric Game 1965 Smoking Doctor Cover By Milton Bradley | eBay

• Funny x 1
  16. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

The Brcklin was washed easy, just to get dirt off. No polish.
    I take my S thru the car wash, my dog loves it.
    I want rubber floor carpeting, and vynal seats. Get home from mudding, used a hose to wash it out. Hope it drains .

17. KenC

KenC Active Member

A nice patina can turn a $300 Tiffany lamp into a $1M treasure in a hundred years.

• Like x 1
  18. KBowden

KBowden Member

When I was telling someone about taking my old Jeep to a mud bog he asked me how I clean all of the mud off. I told him with a rubber mallet. The look of shock and horror on his face made me ask him why. Apparently he was wanting to know because his daughter had gotten his Cadillac stuck the night before and he was asking for a suggestion.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Dana! Good to see you here. :)

• Like x 1