Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing the damn thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I need a hose and a squeegee. Period. If I ever wash it.... How come one of you lazy asses didn't state this already?
My damn truck takes an hour. That's why I only wash it once a yr..if I ever do.

It should be low maintenance for sure. You can get SS products to remove stains if you get them.
I have a DeLorean and I just wash it with plain water and a micro-fiber cloth, followed by drying with a chamois style cloth to avoid water spots.
Recently, I had clear drips on a quarter panel that wouldn't wipe off with water or even soap and water. I tried Acetone..no go. Then I tried Mineral Spirits. That took it off completely with no residue.

I'm guessing Brasso was a joke, but I wouldn't use this unless you want the polish the whole truck. Using it on a spot will likely polish that area and make it mismatch the rest of the panel.

I'm sure Tesla will issue a maintenance guide for the stainless steel panels. From experience, SS is pretty hardy, but there are some acid based products that you need to be careful of.

It should be low maintenance for sure. You can get SS products to remove stains if you get them.
I have a DeLorean and I just wash it with plain water and a micro-fiber cloth, followed by drying with a chamois style cloth to avoid water spots.
Recently, I had clear drips on a quarter panel that wouldn't wipe off with water or even soap and water. I tried Acetone..no go. Then I tried Mineral Spirits. That took it off completely with no residue.

I'm guessing Brasso was a joke, but I wouldn't use this unless you want the polish the whole truck. Using it on a spot will likely polish that area and make it mismatch the rest of the panel.

I'm sure Tesla will issue a maintenance guide for the stainless steel panels. From experience, SS is pretty hardy, but there are some acid based products that you need to be careful of.
Here is my SS Maintenance plan:
Describes my routine to a "T"esla

patina
[ pat-n-uh, puh-tee-nuh ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR patina ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
film or coloring appearing gradually on some other substance.
a surface calcification of implements, usually indicating great age.

One thing I know about brushed stainless is that it’s one of the most fragile finishes you’ll ever see. I used to make stainless kitchen hoods and they could be scratched by a fingernail. They also show fingerprints very easily. So while it is durable, it will have to have a patina in order to realize that durability. People expecting to wash mud off and have it look factory fresh are mistaken. Rubbing dirt on the finish will dull and scratch it immediately. And unlike car finish it can’t be polished out. Just adding some reality to the discussion.

Reactions: MXLRplus
The DeLorean is made of type 304 stainless steel. It does have a brushed finish that was applied by the manufacturer of the panels (British Steel). It is not as fragile as the experience $trong reported with the oven hoods, which is probably explained by different metallurgy.

The Cybertruck uses a different type of stainless steel ( reportedly a special variety of 301) AND is cold rolled which makes it even harder. Thus, any direct comparison to other types of SS is not really relevant. I didn't see a brushed finish on the CT as revealed. It seemed to be raw / mildly polished.

I am gonna have fun with it fur sures.....
I am sure I will get stoned and drunk and break out the oil paints. That'll fall off and I'll get stoned and drunk again.
The cutest thing happened At Auburn U.
the two females living next door knocked on our door while they were high and asked if they could paint my 1971 Datsun four-door. This was in 1987, The Datsun was more of a faded gray primer than the original red. Both were a matt finish.
I said yes. The next morning the passenger door was a cross between
Anatomy And Physiology for Dummies - Google Search
AND
Vintage Operation the electric Game 1965 Smoking Doctor Cover By Milton Bradley | eBay

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
I believe the official instructions are to take a sledgehammer to the doors, that should loosen up the dirt. Then leave it out in the rain. If the windows are still dirty, throw a large steel ball bearing at them a couple of times and that should do the trick.

When I was telling someone about taking my old Jeep to a mud bog he asked me how I clean all of the mud off. I told him with a rubber mallet. The look of shock and horror on his face made me ask him why. Apparently he was wanting to know because his daughter had gotten his Cadillac stuck the night before and he was asking for a suggestion.

Dana! Good to see you here. :)

Reactions: DMC-81