Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing -what do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Washed MY today and got amazing results. (Front was covered in bugs and came off with ease). I got the Chemical guys honeydew snow foam. Used foam cannon and did the 3 bucket wash system afterwards. (Clean, rinse, rim buckets)

I shopped local due to being impatient and here is what I bought:

1) Autocraft chenille wash mitt

2) Autocraft microfiber drying towel

3) Surfacemaxx foam cannon

New owners here… Any suggestions on what’s the best product to remove tree sap or bugs off the bumper?
For insect splatter, bird droppings I use an ammonia based cleaner such as Windex and a paper towel. For road tar I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on small square of clean cotton cloth (like from an old T-shirt/), then rinse with some water.

New owners here… Any suggestions on what’s the best product to remove tree sap or bugs off the bumper?
As others have mentioned, there are a lot of products or home concoctions. Idea is to soak and liquify or harden so it comes off in one go. I use some turtle wax foamy bug and tar remover stuff, a can of that has lasted 5 years ish, mainly because neither of those are major issues where we live.

The other thing to consider is PPF across the front. Many people think its not worth the money and they're probably right in terms of not recouping the expense when selling. But for $1-2k just for the nose and hood, it'll help make clean up of the front quite a bit easier, and remove risk of damaging the paint during removal.

Last edited:
optimum no rinse cuz I'm lazy

n00b question to all who clean their cars... I feel like my car gets dusty the moment I drive it out after cleaning... is it because I'm not washing right or something like that?
What color is it?

I have not washed my MSM in 2 weeks and it still looks fine. I’m in New England and probably put 500 miles since I washed it.

MSM rules for least washing needed ;)
MSM is the lazy man’s color.
Actually cross that. It’s the busy man’s color. I’m to busy doing other stuff to worry about dust on my car. There probably is dust but you can’t see it.

My wife’s white car always looks like *sugar*. And we drive it less.

I'm not big into detailing, although I like driving a clean car, but I think the following gets the average person 80% of the way to a shiny, easy-to-wash car that's reasonably protected from the elements and makes bugs/tar/bird droppings easy to remove. If you want to go 100%, you may want to look at other recommendations.

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash - Works in a foam cannon (when a car is really dirty) and in the wash bucket. Very gentle.

Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax - Very easy to apply and buff off. Looks great and lasts for months. Start with a dual coat 12-24 hours apart per instructions.

On my older cars, I used a clay mitt to wash the car before applying the 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax. It's way easier and quicker than a clay bar (I couldn't believe how much was embedded in the clear coat) and the finish comes out super smooth and ready for the 3-in-1. The 100% crowd will recommend paint correction and polishing prior to applying protection to the clear coat, but that's not something I've attempted yet.

Griot's Glass Sealant - Great on the roof, windshield, and side windows. No water spots after washing. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Glad someone mentioned Zaino!
Having owned several Vettes in the past, everyone on those forums use Zaino.
Zaino longevity is hard to beat!
Any other Zaino fans ?
I was a loyal Zamino user for over 10 years, way back when hardly anyone knew of the product. For my MYP, I went with Avalon King DIY ceramic coating. Happy with it so far, but I think the Zaino would add more depth to my blue MYP.

I live in California and the tap water always show up with big water spots on my blue exterior.

Now I wash the car and then use TURLE WAX (Wax and dry) spray to wipe off "while" it is still wet.

No more water spots. Last items is clean the windows in and out with a window cleaner.

That is my routine.

I was almost skeptical of chemical guys, feels like a gimmick and they have what I would deem as too many products, however after trying numerous lines I do think for the price CG has some of the best options. I use the pink soap, foam cannon and two bucket with wash gloves. Pressure wash everything off, dry and let it be. Going to add ceramic after my PPF is reinstalled but a lot of people still like a wax or sealant instead, that’s certainly personal preference.

I've moved from doing foam cannon and 0 bucket wash (using multiple soapy microfiber towels) to doing ONR (mckees n-914 actually) with multiple microfiber towels. Takes half the time (no setting up a pressure washer, foam cannon, or rinse step). If its dirty, I'll prespray with ONR then wipe with the soaked ONR towels. Worked great all winter in my garage..and will work great in the summer in the garage where I don't have to wait for a cloudy day (or early morning/night) where I would have to worry about the sun.
If its exceptionally dirty I'll prerinse with a hose, but I plan to only do 1-2 foam cannon washes a year just to get a periodic "deep clean".

I use Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam, two buckets with a microfiber wash mitt and a wheel woolie. Invisible Glass on the windows, spray bottle not the aerosol can. To dry, I use a set of plush microfiber towels.

I got my MYP full body PPF wrapped, so I'm not as concerned about contactless washing methods.

What does everyone prefer to use to clean the interior? A damp cloth or soap and water is ideal for the seats, but how about the rest of the interior, such as the dashboard? An interior detailing brush is also immensely helpful.