Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing your Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your routine for washing the Y. What products do you use. The first time today washing it and with all this glass it was not easy. Not only do you need a lift to get to the center of the car, because it is also quite tall, but it was also difficult to get the glass streak-free. Seemed like the time it took to wash and dry was almost double of other cars I have owned.

I just did mine for the first time the other day. I used ONR with two bucket method. I've never done it before and it was pretty easy. I just didn't do the glass roof, mine was pretty clean already. I definitely need some sort of ladder to do that in the future.

On my X I use a mop stick to clean the glass top because I can't reach by hand. I make sure to clean it really well after use, and she never gets used on paint. I have hand worn microfiber mits for paint areas.

To dry, get a good towel! I can do my X and the wife's mazda with a single PFM Towel from Griots. Just drape it over the top and pull towards you.

Thanks for the suggestions. After the first wash, I noticed condensation under the glass by the passenger side front and rear passenger side door. After 12 hrs it still remains. I noticed when I took delivery, some wind noise coining from this area so the condensation makes sense. When the tech came out to install a Homelink she mentioned sometimes new seals take a bit to fully expand. Don't think that was the issue.

I washed my MY yesterday for the first time and after a final rinse and dry, I opened the doors and observed quite a bit of water between the lower inside doors and the metal ledge. Same thing for the rear hatch with the water laying in the metal track on both sides where the hinge mechanism is located. Did not use high pressure at the hose at all. Anyone else notice this on their cars? Wonder if this is indicative of misalignment issues which need correction.
Thanks in advance.

I washed my MY yesterday for the first time and after a final rinse and dry, I opened the doors and observed quite a bit of water between the lower inside doors and the metal ledge. Same thing for the rear hatch with the water laying in the metal track on both sides where the hinge mechanism is located. Did not use high pressure at the hose at all. Anyone else notice this on their cars? Wonder if this is indicative of misalignment issues which need correction.
Thanks in advance.
If water is not getting past the door seal, inside the Model Y then there is no problem. The areas you noted are designed to catch water draining around and from inside the doors, around the hatch.

What is your routine for washing the Y. What products do you use. The first time today washing it and with all this glass it was not easy. Not only do you need a lift to get to the center of the car, because it is also quite tall, but it was also difficult to get the glass streak-free. Seemed like the time it took to wash and dry was almost double of other cars I have owned.I
I wash my Model Y by hand using either a small power washer or Optimum No Rinse.

Power washer method:

1600 PSI power washer
Soap cannon (their are many styles, choices of soap attachment for use with a pressure washer.)
Foaming car wash soap (designed to work with a soap cannon)
Various wide spray nozzles for use with the power washer (you want a wide spray nozzle to avoid damaging the paint, tires etc.)
2 buckets; one for washing the other for rinsing your wash mitt or sponge. At least one good grit guard (for the rinse bucket if you only have one guard.)
Microfiber wash mitt *
Large microfiber towels * for drying the glass and paint (2 minimum)
Microfiber mop * with extendable handle (makes reaching all of the glass roof, windshield and rear glass easy.) Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089LXV65C/

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Method: (Great for winter when it is too cold or when your vehicle only needs a light wash.)
1 bucket
1 good grit guard (not all grit guards are the same, some actually do keep most of the dirt at the bottom of the bucket.)
2 gallons of water (does not have to be distilled water)
2 capfulls of Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (it's blue); there is also ONR Wash and Wax (it's green)
1 cross cut sponge (Big Red Sponge or competitor's product) else about 2 to 3 dozen small microfiber wash cloths* (I use a a large cross cut sponge, don't want to have to wash a couple of dozen micro fiber towels after washing the vehicle.)
1 spray bottle filled with ONR solution from bucket, for presoaking extra dirty panels with ONR before wiping off the panel.
3 or more medium size microfiber towels for wiping off ONR from each panel, side of vehicle as you go.

Note: ONR can be used on glass with excellent results. Else I use Invisible Glass and small micro fiber wash cloths to clean the inside and outside windows, windshield, rear hatch glass of the model Y.

* Always rinse, wash microfiber towels, wash cloths etc. in cold water. Never use warm or hot water with microfiber cloth. Air dry only (no heat) as the dryer heat will damage the microfiber material.

Last edited:
Every time you touch the paint on the vehicle you risk some minute amount of damage to the finish. I have to believe that with a back pack blower it is possible to send small bits of debris sucked into the blower out at high speed, impacting the paint.

Reactions: andaconda
It's a car, I take my M3 through the local carwash a couple times a week. Took my red 2017 Dodge Charger through this wash hundreds of times in 3 years. No damage ever. Washing is the least of the hazards in daily driving that the car sees.
Completely agree. We're not talking about a Pagani here. Aside from the method of propulsion, it's just a car. They churn these out in wild numbers. I can't justify spending more than the cost of a complete repaint just to protect the shitty factory paint. I've driven my black Grand Cherokee High Altitude through the carwash probably 75 times since I've had it and it looks great. Sure, it's not a show car, but... it's not a show car. Who cares!

I have to believe that with a back pack blower it is possible to send small bits of debris sucked into the blower out at high speed, impacting the paint.
A "piece of debris" would have to be floating in the air to even make it into the machine. Anything with that characteristic would, by definition, be as light as air. Particles of that size/weight would have zero impact on your paint and would also be the same things you would be dragging across your paint with a towel or microfiber cloth. I've used this method for over a decade and have never once had anything fly out of the leaf blower onto the paint.

A "piece of debris" would have to be floating in the air to even make it into the machine. Anything with that characteristic would, by definition, be as light as air. Particles of that size/weight would have zero impact on your paint and would also be the same things you would be dragging across your paint with a towel or microfiber cloth. I've used this method for over a decade and have never once had anything fly out of the leaf blower onto the paint.
After washing I prefer to dry off my Model Y using two large microfiber towels to avoid water spots. (The local water is fairly hard.) If you use a blower to dry off the vehicle there is a chance that dust, pollen, etc. from the driveway will be kicked up and land on the freshly washed vehicle. Every method has its drawbacks.

If water is not getting past the door seal, inside the Model Y then there is no problem. The areas you noted are designed to catch water draining around and from inside the doors, around the hatch.
You can see the moisture here that got under the glass but not in the interior. It is still there. More towards the passenger door as well. Taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at.

Attachments

• Tesla Roof.jpg
    Tesla Roof.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 248