Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing your Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see the moisture here that got under the glass but not in the interior. It is still there. More towards the passenger door as well. Taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at.
so it turned out to be some kind of overspray and they had to use several chemicals to rub it out but it's gone now. I guess I did not notice it upon delivery and only discovered it after washing for the first time.

so it turned out to be some kind of overspray and they had to use several chemicals to rub it out but it's gone now. I guess I did not notice it upon delivery and only discovered it after washing for the first time.
We had the same on our very early M3 (VIN 0018xx) in late 2017- looked like defective windshield and both front side windows. Tried everything to get it out but couldn't. Tesla was going to replace the glass when they figured out what it was and how to clean it off.

Reactions: letswinit
So I've had my white MY for 2.5 months and I've been stressing out about how I am going to wash it (previous cars I've had were either silver or gray so less noticeable dirt :) ). I was thinking about buying one of those California Car Dusters but not sure if that would work.

After considering hand washing myself (worried about the soap runoff and the environment), hand washing at a car wash stall (we have one close by) and taking it to a car wash... I just ended up taking it to the car wash despite all the stuff I read saying you shouldn't.

They were familiar with Teslas and just told me to make sure a leave the key card. 5 minutes later, they tracked me down because I forgot to disable the PIN to drive setting. Not sure if someone stayed in the car to keep it neutral as it was driven through the wash but it showed up at the drying area in one piece. Seemed like everything was okay, I was a bit worried about wheel rash on those metal rails but the wheels looked fine.

My office used to have one of those mobile wash services so once we start going back in (probably in a month or so), I'll be sure to use that instead to cut down on the anxiety. :)

@BigNerd - any issues with the car wash? I am looking at buying a M3 or MY and don't have time to hand wash anything except my kid.

Is the paint really that bad it can't hold up to a car wash? Any input on how the red multicoat holds up? I am debating between it and the white.

@DayTrippin I've only gone through the car wash once. It's one of those hand wash places but it still goes on that conveyor track... no huge automated rotating bristle brushes so that seemed ok.

It looks like there is another closer to where I live so I may try that place next time.

I don't know... everything I read says it's bad for the paint but why would it be different from any other auto paint?

That is my thought as well. If the paint really is the crappy, I am concerned about buying a Tesla. My wife has a Ford we bought almost new (1k miles) that was a demo. It was her first "real" car as she lived in Europe for most of her life and never really needed to drive. Let's just say there was a lot of "learning" with that car for her. It is now almost 8 years old and the paint still looks amazing.

No PPF, no ceramic coating, normal car washes and I am always stressed by how close she follows trucks. It was driven in snow, rain, hurricane, sandy conditions, and places I really wish she hadn't gone. Still the paint is phenomenally good. When reading about how many issues people had with the M3 and MY, I went out and took a close look all over her car to see how it fared in the 8 years and 100k+ miles on it.

There is just some minor stone chipping on the front bumper cover and I am pretty sure those happened with one incident when she was driving. A dump truck hauling a lot of sand had the gate come up and dumped a lot of sand going 70 mph down the road. I look at photos of some of the M3's here and their rocker panels look sandblasted after a few months. It set outside for 99% of its life in desert heat, Minnesota snow and cold, Florida heat. It has been driven across the US, east to west, and north to south, many times.

I really hate to spend 60-70k on a car and then drop another few grand for PPF and ceramic coating just to get the paint to survive. It isn't that hard to get the paint right. Just hire someone from Ford, Acura, Toyota and you should be able to sort it out. On the positive side, it sounds like the paint is getting better. I hpe that trend continues so that by the time I get mine, it will be even better.

On a side note, I am considering the red multi coat. How has that fared for everyone? I know it hasn't been out that long but red typically succumbs to the sun quicker than other colors I have. I love how the color looks on the M3 and MY but I am concerned about its longevity. I assume there is some sort of white or light-colored primer so when it chips, there will be a little white dot under it?