Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not traditionally super finicky about washing, I wash and wax at home typically but I’ve never applied a ceramic coat, used clay bar or anything like that. Was wondering what are some best practices for washing? Should I avoid an automatic washer? Anything to know about maintaining the structural integrity of the camera housing?

Same as any other car really. I’m a fan of the 2 bucket method, microfiber, good soaps, etc.

I’m not a fan of automatic car washes, especially for cars with frameless windows.

Reactions: john5520 and alexGS
First wash I usually use a two bucket system on a new car.

First wash with auto detergent. Before drying I use a clay bar to remove all contaminations from being in the factory plus during transportation. Rail dust is an issue when delivered by train.
This sets my finish up for a coat of wax/polish and done.

After that it is just a wash when needed and twice a year wax.

I use a microfiber mitt on a pole to reach the center/top of my X. Walk around the car with that same soapy microfiber mitt on a pole, and it is a quick job. Rinse off, then clean tires/Wheels with soft soapy brush. Then a final rinse and soft towel dry.

Takes less than 15 minutes.

I also use the two bucket method, but without soap. I wash my car every week, even if it doesn't get driven, so seldom is there a lot of surface dirt. If it is real dirty (say, it rained), I will use a good quality car wash soap in one of my buckets.

Keith

I had a ceramic coat put on mine and maintain with a weekly hand wash.

I bought this kit from Chemical Guys:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGQTNR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a high pressure power washer to rinse the car off. Then use the foam cannon to fully suds the car and encapsulate all the dirt. Rinse the foam off then bucket wash (single or dual bucket, whatever your preference might be). Then dry with microfiber towels.

There are lots of great videos on how to hand wash your car on YouTube. There is another product called ONR (Optimum No Rinse) that I am also considering but haven't tried yet. Lots of videos on ONR as well.

Quick-rinse with hose.
Prep a bucket or sprayer w/ 1 gallon of distilled water with 1/2 oz (15ml, 3 teaspoons) of ONRW.
Spray or splash on ONRW in distilled water to rinse down tap water to prevent residue water spotting.
Use clean microfiber cloths with this solution to wash car. See youtube videos.
Dry with microfiber waffle-weave towels, using a spritz of OptiSeal per panel as drying aid.
A bottle of ONRW and a bottle of OptiSeal will last you probably a year if you ONRW once a week.
You will not believe how fast and easy it is, how dirt just blows off, and you won't believe the shine.
Try it. You'll never go back.

If you like, a local $100 claybar correction once a year is a good "reset".

20200114_154047_HDRcm.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TX_M3P+
What's the point i live on a gravel road.

Then you want your wash as quick and easy as possible.

I don’t use buckets. I spray the car with foam from a sprayer on a pressure washer (not much detergent needed for this), then either clean it with a mitt or, for a quick wash, just rinse it off with high pressure water. Dry with an air blower. Whole wash in 20-40 minutes depending on whether you want all the door shuts clean and whether it’s worth cleaning the wheels this week.

One reason the foam and rinse works so well is because I took the time to polish the car and apply a ceramic coating. This only needs doing every year, perhaps every six months if you want to maintain perfection.

Interesting how the ultrasonic sensors keep themselves clean on a gravel road.

-Alex

Attachments

• 88AA57D3-9D04-49E7-A488-CB93EF5BA388.jpeg
    88AA57D3-9D04-49E7-A488-CB93EF5BA388.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 75
I had a ceramic coat put on mine and maintain with a weekly hand wash.

I bought this kit from Chemical Guys:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGQTNR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a high pressure power washer to rinse the car off. Then use the foam cannon to fully suds the car and encapsulate all the dirt. Rinse the foam off then bucket wash (single or dual bucket, whatever your preference might be). Then dry with microfiber towels.

There are lots of great videos on how to hand wash your car on YouTube. There is another product called ONR (Optimum No Rinse) that I am also considering but haven't tried yet. Lots of videos on ONR as well.

I'm surprised you have to wash it that often given the ceramic coating. You must either drive it daily and/or keep the car outside?

Agree. Tesla aerodynamic nose seems like a bug magnet. Maybe just because there is no grill or huge radiation to catch some of the bugs where they are not seen.
I use the Aero Wash Wax All on a damp cloth to remove the bugs before they get baked on. It seems to leave a slippery film that makes washing them off the next time earlier. Kind of like a "mini" ceramic coating.
Cheap and easy.

Reactions: C141medic and AC2DC
I keep a higher (1/64) concentration of ONRW in a little spray
bottle, spray each bug-spot, let it simmer (that seems to lift it
from the surface), then spray a rough microfiber cloth
and use that to wipe it off. That also leaves a slick surface for
the next kamikaze bugs. Not much sticks too well to an ONRW
treated surface. But those dead bugs kind of spoil the look.

Road tar and tree sap is the worst as it sets. Turpentine
is made from pine sap, it gently dissolves any that's left after
you pick off the bump with a fingernail or a guitar pick. Then
a quick wipe with ONRW.

I've always preferred a real carnauba wax shine, but after using
a spritz of Optiseal per panel while drying after the ONRW in
distilled water wiping, I just can't see enough of a difference to
bother with paste waxing these days, considering the huge sweat
and time difference.

Last edited:
Pearl white, 110 motorway miles per day in the UK. Weekly wash is almost essential, sadly i'm working every day this month.....

I use my karcher with the pressure lance set on low (first wash I used it on normal and one of the front wing cameras didn't work for 2 days..) to remove loose dust and dirt, the a high power to remove insects and bird poo (not near the edges of panels / glass)

Karcher soft brush across the whole car
Foam cannon and whatever soap takes my fancy
Scrub with soft brush, then rinse with soft brush
Rinse with low pressure lance
Microfibre cloth

Takes me about 30-40mins, but well worth it. Its on lease, so I haven't forked out for any ceramic etc since I'll be handing it back in 2 years and replacing it with whatever EV is en vogue at the time....

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
This is what I did when I took my M3P.

Next day, I did all steps of detailing a car only using Chemical Guys.

Rinse & Wash using two bucket method.
Dried, then clay-bar
Polished any imperfections
Sealant
Ceramic Coat
Wax.

Now Every week, just a rinse & wash will take at most 30 minutes. Wax every two months along with the ceramic coat.

If you have the money and really want to avoid any swirl marks or micro scratches invest in a power washer, make sure the PSI isn't too high or you'll damage the paint. If you really got money buy a deionizer system to go with it. Simply just spray it down with a soap attachment and then spray it down with the deionized water and let it air dry, don't even need to touch the car, unless something is really stuck on it.

I would avoid automatic car washes. Remember, you have sensors and cameras all around the exterior. Pick a reputable car wash shampoo, wax and detailer. Wax at least quarterly, and detail after every wash if possible (weekly or biweekly depending on your situation). The detailer will protect the paint in between waxing. If your car is garage kept, you could probably extend the intervals. I use a quality wash mitt, two buckets with grit guards (one for soap, the other to rinse the mitt), quality microfibers(for waxing and detailing) and a high quality drying towel. Microfibers / wheel brush for the wheel / tires should be kept in a separate bucket and only used for the wheels. Just my 2 cents.

As for products? I'm a staunch believer in Chemical Guys, but you can use any reputable brand. They all get the job done.

Reactions: C141medic