Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington D.C. to New York City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Take a look at Boston, MA to Washington, DC - Google Maps

Starting in Boston, the distances are:
  • Boston to Milford - 146 mi
  • Milford to Wilmington - 194 mi
  • Wilmington to Washington - 111 mi

The only part of the trip that bothers me is the Milford to Wilmington section. If you are going a little fast, and get stuck in NYC traffic, this section could cause some range anxiety, exactly what we want to avoid. Another supercharger in Northern NJ would make this section a no-brainer.

I would prefer that Superchargers be spaced so that you can drive 70-80 mph with the air conditioner or heater blasting, get stuck in traffic, and still not have any range anxiety. I think that means that for an 85 kWh Model S the maximun spacing is 125-150 mi. See Tesla Supercharger network - Page 86 for an analysis.

Last edited:
Based on my trip to/from the NYC event, 190 miles is *nothing* for the Model S even with AC or windows down. (-10F outside and stop/go traffic, then maybe).
I drove 190 miles with AC, 75-80 for 25% of the trip, 70 for 50%, and 65 for 25%, and arrived with 50 miles to spare.

Edit: Nothing for the 85 kWh pack, I should say.

Based on my trip to/from the NYC event, 190 miles is *nothing* for the Model S even with AC or windows down. (-10F outside and stop/go traffic, then maybe).
I drove 190 miles with AC, 75-80 for 25% of the trip, 70 for 50%, and 65 for 25%, and arrived with 50 miles to spare.

You started with a full range charge of 265 range miles. Having quick charges at Supercharger sites means not trying to charge past 80% SOC or 212 miles at the Supercharger. After 80% SOC, the charge rate starts slowing down appreciably. That is pretty close to the difference of 50 miles that we are talking about.

I did DC to NYC, adding 35-40 miles (at a standard J1772 30 amp station) in Wilmington and ended up with ~20 miles in both directions. I was able to get rated miles going 65-75 MPH, but only when driving "carefully" maximizing the use of cruise control. Was very impressed with efficiency - but you have to drive gently.

One thing I will say after the trip - I really, really want ACC retrofit-able to the Model S. Cruise control is much more efficient than my lead foot and as much as the CC in the Model S is responsive, I got tired of fiddling with the CC stalk.

Great trip - and the Tesla staff in NYC were phenomenal!

Last edited:
I charged at a standard J1772 30A - I asked if I could be their "test" subject, but no luck! Edited my earlier post to be clear.

Was this station a charge point or blink station?

I'm also thinking for the first couple of east coast supercharging stations telsa is taking avantage of the chargers already surrounding the New York area.

Last edited:
We've heard that the second SC on the east coast will be in Wilmington DE. My candidate for the exact location: the Christiana Mall. Conveniently located directly on I-95, just below the splits of the NJ Turnpike and I-495 to the north and DE-1 heading south to Dover and the beaches, the Mall offers a full range of high-end retailers (Nordstrom's, Macy's, Apple, etc.) and dining.

It's 197 miles from there north to the Westfield Connecticut Post Mall in Milford, which is my guess for the first East Cost SC. Again, EZon, EZoff, with lots of shopping and dining choices.

So, I agree with an earlier post: there should be an SC in northern NJ, perhaps at the Woodbridge Center Mall, which is conveniently close to the intersection of the Garden State Pkwy and I-95. That's 104 miles from Milford and 95 miles from the Christiana Mall. Interestingly, Woodbridge Center and Christiana are owned by General Growth Properties, the same developer that owns the Natick Mall (home to the Boston-area store), so there could be a single negotiation.

(While Tesla is negotiating there, they could add The Maine Mall to the shopping list with GGP. The Maine Mall, right at the split of I-95 and I-295, would be a super location in Maine.)

Last edited:
Robert, you should offer your commercial property consulting expertise to Tesla! Nice that you got the Maine SC request in there too for your summer routine ;)
In truth, with my 85kWh battery, I wouldn't use the Portland SC much -- I can easily get from Boston to my Maine house on a standard charge. Maine is a great vacation destination, though, and I'd like to share it with my fellow Tesla owners!

Semi-OT, re drafting:
You want to really experience it, do it on a light-medium motorcycle. I got to be a real 'spert on finding the right trailing vortex point; at times getting actual push from the swirl! Sometimes had to advance or back off into the wind because the engine was overheating (air-cooled, of course.)
:rolleyes::biggrin:

Bumping this thread to see if anyone with 60 kWh has done this trip? From NoVa/DC to NY is about 250 miles and under normal conditions with one supercharging stop in Delaware this should not be any issue and an anxiety free trip. BUT, what about less than ideal conditions? say you top off to 150 miles on the way to NY at Delaware on a cold day, NJ Turnpike is a parking lot all the way with stop-and-go traffic. Wouldn't range anxiety set in pretty quickly?

Hoping to hear from a 60 kWh owner who has done this trip.