Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington DC Auto Show 2009

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THAT SUCKS !!!

I am an early 2009 model and part of the reason I took the delay for the Sport model was to get the newly designed interior.

Well, the Sport model won't start production until June. That's no longer early 2009 cars I don't think. So you may be fine. Either way, I'm sure you can request the new interior and be pushed back such that you'll get it.

I keep remembering things I learned...

The DC service center is estimated to be opened in 6 months. That would mean August. They're moving up in priority the DC service center for political exposure purposes. It may even beat out Seattle.

I think that's the car I drove yesterday. When were these photos taken? It had a flat tire yesterday morning which delayed by test drive until fixed.
It likely is the car you drove. VP21 has been used for several drive events on the east coast. Miami, Atlanta, then a review by the Washington Post... I wonder if it's been out there the whole time.

Flickr says the photos were "taken on February 1, 2009 at 4.08pm EST."

Last edited:
I keep remembering things I learned...

The DC service center is estimated to be opened in 6 months. That would mean August. They're moving up in priority the DC service center for political exposure purposes. It may even beat out Seattle.

How about the NY center? Were you told an estimate of when that would be opened? Just curious since I'm in Jersey and would like to know when I would be able to go into the city to see a Roadster in person.

-Shark2k

A few of my photos:

front-quarter.jpg

powertrain-front.jpg

The visor in the up and down position:

visor-up.jpg

visor-down.jpg

The door hinge and door button I spoke of:

door-hinge.jpg

door-button.jpg

This is the "blindspot" when turning your head to the right. When driving I had no trouble using that space through the rear window but above the side of the car to see if there was another vehicle there. With the hard top on it might be more of a problem, however.

blindspot.jpg

And here's the foot well. I wish I had taken another shot with my shoe sitting in position for a sense of scale. Those are small pedals. It's not as roomy as this shot implies:

pedals.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks for the pics, Tesla Dave.

The too-narrow left foot dead pedal is something that I've experienced myself and definitely plan on fixing. Have any owners come up with a solution for this? My first thought is a couple of strips of velcro tape to hold a block of wood in place that would sit next to it and extend its width. Just another inch or two is all that's needed.

For me, the dead pedal could be better, but is not the worst part of the driver side footwell problems. I wish the footwell itself were not so narrow. Surprisingly there is enough leg room for my 6'4" frame, but the footwell is very narrow, and kinda shoved to the right. It means the driver must keep in the same position the entire drive.

Two things I learned from the Tesla reps working the show:

1) The Model S intro on March 5 will be delayed. It won't be ready by then.

It has been tentatively rescheduled for March 26th. It was only due to internal scheduling conflicts. That date is not final. I just found out because I requested two tickets.

2) They don't know when production will cut over to the newly designed interior. Early 2009 cars may not get it.

I also asked specifically about this. The new interior cuts over after the last 2008 Roadster is completed. All 2009 Roadsters and Roadster Sports will have the new interior.

Looks like they have a Signature Green car there too:

3264286787_b06bbcc5a2_o.jpg
3265111418_1cd896d56c_o.jpg
3265111516_97bb73fdf7_o.jpg
3264286831_e607457a25_o.jpg

Unfortunately that "Performance Specs" sign is hiding whether this is a Founders' or Signature 100 series car. The color scheme is almost identical to VP1, except VP1 had black head rests. (I supposed it's also possible that VP1 got new seats.)

Last edited:
Did you notice a clunking from the suspension when going over bumps in the road?

How else was the drive?

What got my attention was not from the suspension but I did notice a bit of a clunk from the drive train when moving the accelerator back and forth between accel and regen. I had read of others mentioning this but I didn't notice it when I previously drove the 1.0 drive train but that time was with the top off.

My drive was enjoyable but being from rural PA, the city streets of DC were not close to the top of my list of places I wanted to test drive the 1.5 drive train.