Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington EV sales tax exemption and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the sales tax exemption appears to have passed, I'm trying to get a better understanding how this will apply to the Model 3. The way I understand it is that there is no sales tax up to $35,000. From what I also understand is that if the cost of the car is over $35,000, then you have to pay sales tax. So my questions are...

1. If someone orders a Model 3 stripper and then orders floor mats are they now on the hook for sales tax for everything?

2. Or are options not counted in the cost of the car?

Since the sales tax exemption appears to have passed, I'm trying to get a better understanding how this will apply to the Model 3. The way I understand it is that there is no sales tax up to $35,000. From what I also understand is that if the cost of the car is over $35,000, then you have to pay sales tax. So my questions are...

1. If someone orders a Model 3 stripper and then orders floor mats are they now on the hook for sales tax for everything?

2. Or are options not counted in the cost of the car?
It's up to $32,000 exempt, not $35,000. So you pay tax on the amount beyond $32,000, and to qualify for the exemption, the BASE PRICE of the vehicle needs to be no more than $42,500 - so the Model ☰, Bolt, i3, etc but not a Model S or X.

ETA: Here's also a link to the thread from earlier this year when it was revised to include cars up to $42,500 base price.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian