TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Washington state’s electric-vehicle sales tax break to end

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 206er, Mar 21, 2018.

1. 206er

206er Member

#1 206er, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    There goes WA's only EV incentive (unless I've overlooked something)... :mad:

The 7,500 total EV max (not manufacturer-dependent) should be reached this summer... so much for anyone in WA holding out hope of snagging the SR Model 3 and being able to utilize this incentive.

• Informative x 1
  2. Mariner022

Mariner022 New Member

• Love x 1
  3. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

That bill did not pass. This year's session is over.

4. boiler81

boiler81 Member

And to think I wrote my WA state representatives to support the bill:mad:.

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yep. They blew it. Hopefully they will see that the lack of incentive results in a slowing of EV sales in the state and they will re-up on an incentive from the 2019 session. I don’t know if sales will actually stall because the Model 3 will actually start to be available enough to most of us by the time a new incentive might be considered. Super annoyed though...Both bills seemed to pass the first steps easily and then stalled. Fail.

6. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

7. ww73

ww73 Member

Or another way to look at it.. Snag a LR/PUP now and get both the federal $7500 and $3200 state incentives!

Personally, I think range is King and I would always opt for the larger battery.

8. Ken Roach

Ken Roach Member

#8 Ken Roach, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    To my knowledge, we have the February 2018 count of eligible vehicles (6843), and the average rate of new EV registrations in Washington is 275 per month.

The tax exemption expiration is triggered by that 7500-vehicle report from DOL to DOR, and then it switches to a sunset date: the end of the month after the trigger month.

So if we hit 7500 vehicles in April, the exemption will expire at the close of business on May 31 (a Thursday).

My understanding is that you become exempt from the sales tax at the time that you would pay it, which is when you apply for title and registration of your vehicle. New vehicles have that application made by the dealer.

So my question is: could I take my VIN number to the DOL agency office and apply for a registration ? Or is this totally out of my hands and I have to hope Tesla files the paperwork the same day I take delivery ?

9. graphix25

graphix25 -=electronboy=-

The sale tax for me was computed at time of sale/delivery. The sales tax line on the bill of sale excluded the first 3200 in sales tax. It was done automatically by Tesla. Hence the sales tax on the car was around $2300 rather then $5500.

10. graphix25

graphix25 -=electronboy=-

Exact numbers.
    Cash Price for Vehicle $56,000
    Sales Tax $2,472

The first $32,000 is not taxes so I just paid tax on $24,000. Good luck. Sucks the legislation could not muster the will to get this great program extended for the year.

• Like x 1
  11. Ken Roach

Ken Roach Member

12. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Technically, it's up to the DOR to tell us when the tax break will end, not the DOL. The DOR is legally required to put the end date on their website as early as practical once they are aware, and they haven't yet. As long as they were notified after April 5th, the break should end June 30th, not May 31st. Given DOL didn't put it on the site until April 16th, it appears it didn't happen before April 5th.