Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington state’s electric-vehicle sales tax break to end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. They blew it. Hopefully they will see that the lack of incentive results in a slowing of EV sales in the state and they will re-up on an incentive from the 2019 session. I don’t know if sales will actually stall because the Model 3 will actually start to be available enough to most of us by the time a new incentive might be considered. Super annoyed though...Both bills seemed to pass the first steps easily and then stalled. Fail.

To my knowledge, we have the February 2018 count of eligible vehicles (6843), and the average rate of new EV registrations in Washington is 275 per month.

The tax exemption expiration is triggered by that 7500-vehicle report from DOL to DOR, and then it switches to a sunset date: the end of the month after the trigger month.

So if we hit 7500 vehicles in April, the exemption will expire at the close of business on May 31 (a Thursday).

My understanding is that you become exempt from the sales tax at the time that you would pay it, which is when you apply for title and registration of your vehicle. New vehicles have that application made by the dealer.

So my question is: could I take my VIN number to the DOL agency office and apply for a registration ? Or is this totally out of my hands and I have to hope Tesla files the paperwork the same day I take delivery ?

Last edited:
The sale tax for me was computed at time of sale/delivery. The sales tax line on the bill of sale excluded the first 3200 in sales tax. It was done automatically by Tesla. Hence the sales tax on the car was around $2300 rather then $5500.

To my knowledge, we have the February 2018 count of eligible vehicles (6843), and the average rate of new EV registrations in Washington is 275 per month.

The tax exemption expiration is triggered by that 7500-vehicle report from DOL to DOR, and then it switches to a sunset date: the end of the month after the trigger month.

So if we hit 7500 vehicles in April, the exemption will expire at the close of business on May 31 (a Thursday).

My understanding is that you become exempt from the sales tax at the time that you would pay it, which is when you apply for title and registration of your vehicle. New vehicles have that application made by the dealer.

So my question is: could I take my VIN number to the DOL agency office and apply for a registration ? Or is this totally out of my hands and I have to hope Tesla files the paperwork the same day I take delivery ?

Exact numbers.
Cash Price for Vehicle $56,000
Sales Tax $2,472

The first $32,000 is not taxes so I just paid tax on $24,000. Good luck. Sucks the legislation could not muster the will to get this great program extended for the year.

The sale tax for me was computed at time of sale/delivery. The sales tax line on the bill of sale excluded the first 3200 in sales tax. It was done automatically by Tesla. Hence the sales tax on the car was around $2300 rather then $5500.

Reactions: Ken Roach
Technically, it's up to the DOR to tell us when the tax break will end, not the DOL. The DOR is legally required to put the end date on their website as early as practical once they are aware, and they haven't yet. As long as they were notified after April 5th, the break should end June 30th, not May 31st. Given DOL didn't put it on the site until April 16th, it appears it didn't happen before April 5th.