Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Good To Go Pass - best installation location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the HOV toll lanes are starting on 9/27, I need to figure out how to use the flex pass in the model s. Anyone has ideas?

This would be my worst case scenario, open the window and stick it out when driving under the reader or open the panoramic roof.

I hope I can figure out a more adequate solution though. One alternative might be to mount the flex pass on the outside of the car and prior to starting the trip switch it appropriately based on the number of passengers in the car.

It doesn't look like there is a license plate version of the flex pass. Kind of typical dysfunction for the GTG system.

I didn't bother with the tag/pass, just registered my MS with GTG and they charge me the lower "tag" rate on the 520 bridge but then you will always get charged in the HOV lane.

Last edited:
I did some research and it looks like when set in the HOV mode, the pass transmit a different code to signal the HOV mode to avoid charges. So if the HOV mode is not read (for whatever reason), you will be charged. It can be as high as $10 :(

I am thinking of an external mount too and presetting it before driving. But I need to confirm if it is OK to leave it in HOV when driving on 520. For example, I am driving on 405 and then onto 520. I will set to HOV mode and start driving. 405 will read as HOV but will 520 read the pass correctly. I guess in the worst case, the 520 portion of the drive will charge me the lowest toll rate plus 25 cents since my license plate is registered with GoodToGo.

This is such a mess.

I also emailed Tesla to see if there are other solutions.

For the external mount, I am thinking of building a magnetic mount so I can easily put the flex pass on and remove it easily from the pano roof. I will know more about this design on Tuesday since I need to try out a few things.

I complained about them starting to charge tolls for the HOV lane with no way for me to avoid it. They offered to put me on an email list for a "temporary solution" and eventually a real solution.

Still no word on either one. I hope the temporary solution is something that can be implemented quickly.

We don't have a regular commute; we drive that route at odd times to take care of my wife's parents so we can't register when we will be going. If they are only going to have one solution, it has to work with all cars. I have complained to my legislators - I don't like that a private company with a government-enforced monopoly on fining citizens and keeping most of the proceeds can make it impossible for 10% of the cars on the road to avoid paying when they shouldn't have to.

I complained about them starting to charge tolls for the HOV lane with no way for me to avoid it. They offered to put me on an email list for a "temporary solution" and eventually a real solution.

Still no word on either one. I hope the temporary solution is something that can be implemented quickly.

We don't have a regular commute; we drive that route at odd times to take care of my wife's parents so we can't register when we will be going. If they are only going to have one solution, it has to work with all cars. I have complained to my legislators - I don't like that a private company with a government-enforced monopoly on fining citizens and keeping most of the proceeds can make it impossible for 10% of the cars on the road to avoid paying when they shouldn't have to.
That's my problem exactly. I'm unlikely to drive that area most times, but it's almost a certainty that if I'm driving through there I'd qualify as an HOV. If you do hear back, I'd love to know what they suggest.

I'll try my Legislators, too, and I'll add in Rep. Magendanz. He's an i3 owner and has been involved in a number of pro-EV efforts in Olympia.

It used to be worse. They wouldn't tell you if you got a fine and then would levy late charges on the fines and then late charges on the late charges while you were completely clueless about the fine in the first place. I recall an article about some one who got a multi-hundred $$ fine over that. Several legislators got hit and it apparently got fixed. Their notification system seems to work now - my card expired recently and they notified me via email. Still, I have nothing but disrespect for the GTG system. I wouldn't hold my breath for a decent solution. The obvious one - flex pass license plate mount - makes the most sense but why didn't they just do that from the start? It doesn't help those of us that don't have front plates but we are supposed to have them so I wouldn't expect consideration.

Local news story on the topic HERE.

It sounds like they don't really have a workaround. They just expect people to check the toll site after every trip to see if they were charged or not, and to call in to correct it if they were. Ugh.

I love the quote from the article "Rubstello said the glitch affects less than one percent of users ...". I don't think it's 1%. I bet its more like 10% or even higher based on the number of cars with metailzed windshields. BS minimization of a real problem by a BS bureaucrat.

Good to Go - We put the fun in dysfunction!

Yesterday, Good-to-Go e-mailed the following information:
Thank you for your interest the I-405 express toll lanes pilot program for problem windshields. You have indicated that you plan to drive the I-405 express toll lanes as a carpool using a vehicle with metalized windshield or the Eyesight safety feature. These features may prevent toll equipment from reading a toll transponder that is installed on the windshield.

Many vehicle manufacturers provide a transponder “cut out”
If you haven’t already done so, please contact your dealer or window manufacturer to determine if your vehicle has a "cut out" in the windshield. The cut out is often located behind the rear view mirror or in the corner of the windshield. If you have a cut out, you can use a Flex Pass and install it in that location. You will need to visit a customer service walk-in center to verify that the Flex Pass will not work on your vehicle. Please bring any confirmation information about your windshield from your car manufacturer, dealer, or owner’s manual.

How will the problem windshield pilot work?
This new pilot program will allow you to receive a credit back for tolls on the I-405 express toll lanes or SR 167 HOT lanes if you were driving as a carpool. In order to participate in the program, you must purchase and install a license plate pass on your vehicle and activate it on a Good To Go! account. If you already have a license plate pass on the vehicle with a problem windshield, your license plate number and pass number will need to be registered with this pilot program on your Good To Go! account.

Once your license plate pass is installed and active on your account, you can use the I-405 express toll lanes or SR 167 HOT lanes with your license plate pass and you will be charged a toll for the trip. To receive a refund for your carpool trips on these two toll facilities, you can contact customer service up to 45 days following the trip. You will need to identify the date and time of the toll transactions taken as a carpool to receive the refund. The easiest way to identify specific trips is to print your transaction history from your account and mark which trips qualify as carpool. The toll credit will be applied to your Good To Go! account.

In summary, here are the steps to participate in the problem windshield pilot program:
[if !supportLists]1) [endif]Visit a customer service walk-in center to confirm that your vehicle’s windshield does not have a “cut out” location for a transponder where the Flex Pass could be installed. If you qualify, a customer service representative will register you for the pilot program while you are at the walk-in center.
[if !supportLists]2) [endif]Install a Good To Go! license plate pass and activate it on a Good To Go! account.
[if !supportLists]3) [endif]Information about the program and the Refund Request Form will be emailed to you once you are registered.
[if !supportLists]4) [endif]At least every 45 days, check your Good To Go! account to identify the I-405 express toll lane or SR 167 HOT lane toll charges that were carpool trips.
[if !supportLists]5) [endif]At least every 45 days, contact Good To Go! customer service to request a credit for those tolled trips. You will be asked to attest that the list of I-405 express toll lane or SR 167 HOT lane tolled transactions you provided were carpool trips that should have been toll-exempt. You can receive your credit by:
[if !supportLists]o [endif]Emailing the completed Refund Request Form and an annotated copy of your transaction history to: [email protected]
[if !supportLists]o [endif]Calling customer service at 1-866-936-8246. You will be asked to provide the list of tolled transactions to be credited back and verbally attest that they were carpool trips.
[if !supportLists]o [endif]Visit a customer service walk-in center at Bellevue, Seattle or Gig Harbor.

If you have more than one vehicle with a problem windshield, please complete these steps and register each vehicle at a customer service center.

Questions? Please contact us at [email protected]

Thank you,
WSDOT Toll Division Communications

My hack for getting the Good To Go Flex Pass to work with my Model S. I have a magnetized no drill and non-invasive mounting system for the front license plate - No Drill Tesla Model S Front License Plate - (I have no affiliation with them. I think their product works really well.) I put double sided tape on the plastic mount of the Flex pass and on the back of my front rubberized license plate holder. Then I put the actual Flex Pass in a ziplock bag to protect it from the elements and click the Flex Pass into the clear plexiglass holder that is secured to the back of the license plate holder. I will have to switch the pass before I start my trip, but I think it will work ok. I'll find out this week!

IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Ahh do you have the plate on the other side? I would think that the metal plate would block the signal....

I do have a metal plate on the other side. I'm hoping since it's outside of the car and that there is a gap in the vertical plane directly above the pass, the system will pick it up. I'll know tomorrow when my wife takes the kids to school. I'll log on to the Good To Go website and see if it charged her for being in the HOV lane and report back.

My hack for getting the Good To Go Flex Pass to work with my Model S. I have a magnetized no drill and non-invasive mounting system for the front license plate - No Drill Tesla Model S Front License Plate - (I have no affiliation with them. I think their product works really well.) I put double sided tape on the plastic mount of the Flex pass and on the back of my front rubberized license plate holder. Then I put the actual Flex Pass in a ziplock bag to protect it from the elements and click the Flex Pass into the clear plexiglass holder that is secured to the back of the license plate holder. I will have to switch the pass before I start my trip, but I think it will work ok. I'll find out this week!

Thanks for the post and photos.

Today, I tested the flex pass by taping it in the rear window and it worked! I confirmed that it works for the following cases:
* west bound on 520 with Flex-Pass set to toll - billed me the correct amount and shown on my online account when I checked 60 minutes later
* both north and south bound on 405 HOV with Flex-Pass set to HOV - so far so good, I have not seen any charges and it has been 6 hours since I drove the routes earlier today

I taped the flex-pass vertically on the back glass so that I can see the HOV/Toll setting from the driver's rear view mirror, can have a rear seat passenger switch the pass as needed and not blocking much of the rear view when driving. I will post a photo tomorrow. So it looks like the rear window is not metalicized.