Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Good To Go Pass - best installation location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a front plate, so that won't work. The motorcycle headlight pass can't be removed, so I would get charged for using the Hot Lane on 167 even if I had passengers in the car. If you already have the movable Popsicle stick pass, try it on the top edge of the rear view mirror. I really think it will work there. Alternatively, register your license plate. It costs only 25 cents more to cross the bridge than having a pass.

I just stopped by the GtG pass store off of Northrup in Bellevue and picked up a motorcycle headlight pass. They activated it and added it to my account while I was in the store, very simple. I just stuck it on the headlight near the chrome part that doesn't have any lights in it on the outside edge. First time across the 520 and it worked perfect and is barely noticeable.

Could you post pics? Isn't there now a black dot on the headlight?

The other thing I'm considering is to mount the motorcycle pass on the nose-cone. It seems like it would be invisible on it?

I don't run a front plate - haven't for close to four years now, with no issues here in Washington. It's also extremely rare that I might have passengers in the 167 HOT lane. (Never, come to think of it.) So the solution for me was to install the license plate pass behind the nosecone. I just used some heavy duty velcro to attach it to the front of the bumper that's behind the cone. Works great, and no ugly sticker. (Also behind the cone are my radar detector and GPS antenna for the same.)

The front mount plate pass is freakin ugly.The motorcycle pass on the headlight is very elegant, looks like a beauty mark:
WP_20130622_001.jpg
WP_20130622_002.jpg
WP_20130622_003.jpg

Also the GtG people knew about the problematic windshields and had no problem selling me a motorcycle GtG pass.

Also FYI Bellevue SC can install your front license plate using the upside-down no-drill zip-tie method. Got stopped by the PoPo for no front plate so I had it done. Also that stop was the strangest thing. It was near the child-jail/"Don't pickup hitchhikers" part of I-5, think that is near Kalama. The WSP came up to the passenger window and said I stopped you because you have no front plate. I said that the car was new and I just hadn't got to the "dealer" to have them install it yet and it was in my trunk. He said well as long as you know about it and you get it taken care of that's fine. I handed my license to my passenger and he handed it to the officer he just wrote it down on his pad and sent us on his way. Didn't ask for my registration or insurance, just kind of lingered for a moment looking at the car then left. Well he might have wanted a closer look, can you blame him? :)

Well I checked my GtG account and it looks like it didn't actually work, crap. Maybe it needs to be further away from the metal. However I saw someone else with this same setup on their Model S at the meet-up at MD and that is where I got the idea.
G2G.JPG

I'll have to stop the by the GtG store and have them test it to make sure it is working.

hay-zoos, this is starting to look like a Klusta-fwok. Anyone tried the MC pass on the passenger side?

@deonb, is that the straint pass fee? It's hard to tell with variable pricing. I'm still a bit confused by the options available. I think if I register a license plate, they just charge me a quarter extra. For some one going over the bridge only a few times a month, that might be preferable to a pass and all the fussing

edit: deon, not sure why your post is below mine now. might be a bit confusing but I am referring to post #18

Last edited:
I affixed it to the opposite side of the light, and it possibly worked. I went over the 520 bridge twice, and got the entry below.

Good To Go.png

So there is no Photo Enforced Associated Fee, and it's at the GTG rate, but it shows my license plate instead of my Pass Id. So not sure now what to think.
GTG Transactions 2.png

The two GTG entries at the top are with the Tesla. The one at the bottom is with my highlander with a windshield mount.

- - - Updated - - -

hay-zoos, this is starting to look like a Klusta-fwok. Anyone tried the MC pass on the passenger side?

@deonb, is that the straint pass fee? It's hard to tell with variable pricing. I'm still a bit confused by the options available. I think if I register a license plate, they just charge me a quarter extra. For some one going over the bridge only a few times a month, that might be preferable to a pass and all the fussing

edit: deon, not sure why your post is below mine now. might be a bit confusing but I am referring to post #18

I had to delete my post in order to edit the pictures - hence why the 2 posts are reversed. The TMC site doesn't allow you to delete a picture once posted :(

Anyway, yes, it's the correct "Good to Go!" rate for that time of the day. It's not the "Pay by mail" rate - which you get if you have NO pass registered. So with a license plate registered against a GTG account I'm expecting to get the "Good to Go!" rate + 25c "Pay By Plate" toll rate.

But I just got charged the normal "Good to Go!" rate as if it was a working pass.

It looks like that would work fine taped inside the nose cone. Anyone try it?

I just had it put behind the nose cone a few days ago. I have yet to drive across the bridge. It's hard to find a spot without too much metal around it or behind it. The inside metal bumper may interfere with the antenna on the GTG pass....we'll see. I just mounted it with some masking tape so I can move it to a different place if necessary. I think you want a surface that is slightly slanted so that the antenna can see it.

Learned of a cool trick to loosen the nose cone at the Bellevue Service Center this week. You don't need to pry it off just bang your fist on top of the plastic (the horizontal surface, just to the right of where the chrome ends. That is, above the side of the nose cone and not the nose cone it self). You have to hit it real hard and then the nose cone magically pops loose on that side. Then you can gently pry it off with your hands all the way around.... no tools. Be careful so that the nose cone doesn't fall on the ground as it could easily scratch.

Last edited:
Just confirmed today as I crossed 520. The pass was read correctly when mounted behind the nose cone.

Here is a pic of where I put the pass if anyone else wants to try it (which is behind the nose cone and a little higher than where the metal bumper will be located when nose cone is installed again. My goal was to mount it so that it is not near metal -- around or behind -- so as not to interfere with the signal. There is no perfect location but this was the best I could find):

Tesla_good2go.png

Last edited:
Here's a pic of where I put my Good To Go sticker pass. I slid it so it's a little bit under where the mirror housing meets the windshield. Has registered every trip I've made over 520 over the last couple of weeks.

sticker.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
For whatever it's worth, I decided I didn't want the pass attached to my car, or a front plate at all (let alone that gigantic front plate attachment thing). I've gone over both 520 and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and it's reading my back plate. I think it's supposed to charge an extra $0.25, which I would pay since I only go a few times/month, but so far the tolls have matched the posted ones exactly. YMMV...

For whatever it's worth, I decided I didn't want the pass attached to my car, or a front plate at all (let alone that gigantic front plate attachment thing). I've gone over both 520 and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and it's reading my back plate. I think it's supposed to charge an extra $0.25, which I would pay since I only go a few times/month, but so far the tolls have matched the posted ones exactly. YMMV...

I think this is what I'll do as well since I don't travel those bridges often.

I read this thread and didn't see anything conclusive about motorcycle pass. Well, I've been using mine for a week and it's worked every time.
I placed it on the lower windshield on the driver's side, right by the VIN.

2014-08-24 20.18.24.jpg

I decided to go without a sticker on my car.

I registered my license plate with my existing online Good To Go account. I do not have a front license plate installed. With only a back plate on the car and no sticker/sensors I've driven across the bridge a few times in the last week and the transactions appear online with no problem.

Without a transponder, there's a $0.25 extra fee for photo enforcement validation. I'm not a daily bridge commuter so it'll probably just be a couple bucks a year for me, worth it to not have a sticker in my opinion :)