TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Washington State HB 2106 – HOV access for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by v12 to 12v, Aug 16, 2012.

1. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

2. hvb

hvb Member

#2 hvb, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    I would be all for that! Thanks for the heads up.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In case you're wondering where they came up with such a low number...
    ... here's my guess:

Also of note:

4. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Bring it to Oregon too please! For that matter, how about a few more lanes for HOV/EV... like Hwy 26, 217, 84, and just generally more of I5.

5. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Or -- I know this Japanese dude who can get you one or two VERY realistic inflatable girlfriends ...

:redface::cool:

6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Are there any HOV lanes up there? I really can't think of any off the top of my head.

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah only one... it's lame. About 5 miles of I5 North bound (only), right up to the Interstate bridge that take you into Washington.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Isn't it amazing how the come up with these numbers? Fed tax credit also maxed out at exactly the size of the Volt's battery pack as well.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Let me fix that for you...

10. Odenator

Odenator P2607

I contacted both of my 22nd district congressmen (Reps. Chris Reykdal and Sam Hunt) regarding HB 2106-2011-12. These are their responses:

Thank you for the email in support of HB 2106, which would authorize plug-in vehicles to use HOV lanes regardless of vehicle occupancy. This bill was introduced in the 2011 session, however it was not scheduled for a hearing in the Transportation Committee and was not considered in 2011 or 2012. The Legislature adjourned in April and does not reconvene until January 2013. It is not until this time that new legislation can be considered. Anything introduced in the previous biennium does not carry forward, so this legislation would have to be re-introduced. If it is re-introduced, I would likely support it.

Sincerely,

Rep. Sam Hunt

This is a great topic! I haven't followed the regulation in other states but will certainly keep my eyes open. Clearly this would be a huge incentive for electric vehicle drivers and would add important support to our state's fleet conversion. It is probably a very good early-stage incentive. Of course, long-term if everybody were driving electric vehicles, we would take 50% of carbon emissions out of the air (very good outcome), but do nothing to address congestion (bad outcome). So somehow our policy still needs to add further incentive for dual occupancy vehicles. I struggle a bit still with allowing motorcycles. Of course, they are very fuel efficient but they rarely get a second car off the road and their impact to insurance costs are disproportionate. A tough trade-off.

Thanks for the heads up. Let's stay in touch as this issue gets more traction.

Chris

So it looks like this legislation needs to be reintroduced in 2013.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Hm, I wonder what kind of paycheck they pull down for a 4 month job. Maybe I should switch careers...

12. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Good job Odenator. Maybe your Representative, Chris Reykdal will re-introduce the bill. I believe he is on the transporation committee.

That was an interesting comment about motorcycles though. A court ruled some time ago that you can drive any vehicle in HOV lane if you are pregnant.:confused:
    I certainly hope they closed that loophole.