Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State: Model S Plaid/LR waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like this may be a broader issue with the new MS, see here:

Mine seems to be OK, but now I am going to compare with the older MS to see how far off it is. GPS has some inherit errors built in, however the two cars should show the same degree of error at a given time.
I turned off autopilot after turning it on on I-5 several days ago because it was behaving strangely and may be related to the location/GPS error noted previously. I never had a problem with location/GPS errors with my 2015 MS85D over 6 year period of ownership.

Reactions: Mark II
I turned off autopilot after turning it on on I-5 several days ago because it was behaving strangely and may be related to the location/GPS error noted previously. I never had a problem with location/GPS errors with my 2015 MS85D over 6 year period of ownership.
I have noticed a lot more phantom breaking with my new car. I though it may be due to lack of radar, however it could also be GPS thinking my car is not on the freeway. Will need to pay more attention next time it does it. I know some of them are due to it thinking the good to go scanners are traffic lights. Filed a few reports on those already :-(

Got my MSLR back from Lynnwood SC today. Paint and door alignment issues fixed, and also got both missing trunk covers. They also fixed my GPS/location issue and Tessie now knows the right location, and where she is. I am unfortunately still having problems with summons, and can’t get the car to leave my garage without shutting down. Hopefully will get this remaining issue resolved . Absolutely love my new baby, and the 8 month wait was worth it IMHO. Also thinking about getting a spoiler for my LR, anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Got my MSLR back from Lynnwood SC today. Paint and door alignment issues fixed, and also got both missing trunk covers. They also fixed my GPS/location issue and Tessie now knows the right location, and where she is. I am unfortunately still having problems with summons, and can’t get the car to leave my garage without shutting down. Hopefully will get this remaining issue resolved. Absolutely love my new baby, and the 8 month wait was worth it IMHO.
Glad they got most your issues resolved! I eventually got an update to 2022.8.3, which fixed dashcam on honk, but still no dashcam button.

I also have a new issue (before the update), my right front door handle does not always retract. A light push will cause it to snap back, or it will randomly snap back while I am driving. First time it happened I thought something hit my car!

After the update I am now getting reduced regenerative braking warnings, even though the outdoor temp is 54 F. Seems a bit high? Never saw this before the update, even when it was colder outside.

Glad they got most your issues resolved! I eventually got an update to 2022.8.3, which fixed dashcam on honk, but still no dashcam button.

I also have a new issue (before the update), my right front door handle does not always retract. A light push will cause it to snap back, or it will randomly snap back while I am driving. First time it happened I thought something hit my car!

After the update I am now getting reduced regenerative braking warnings, even though the outdoor temp is 54 F. Seems a bit high? Never saw this before the update, even when it was colder outside.
Yes I also got the OTA update. Will let you know if I get any regenerative braking warnings. You should not get a warning at 54 degrees.

My safety score magically appeared in the app today, even though I am still on the factory build. When I checked this afternoon the menu item was there and the page said it would show the score after my first drive, which it did after a short 3 mile drive.
I turned on my beta as well, and so far have been getting 100 for last two drives, I have my fingers crossed that I can be approved to be an FSD beta tester. I have been driving in chill mode and have been getting incredible efficiency in my new LR, 250 w/mile, much better than my previous 2 MS’s.

I turned on my beta as well, and so far have been getting 100 for last two drives, I have my fingers crossed that I can be approved to be an FSD beta tester. I have been driving in chill mode and have been getting incredible efficiency in my new LR, 250 w/mile, much better than my previous 2 MS’s.
I find not getting negative points for hard braking is harder with the Model S refresh, since there is no low regen setting, unlike the 2018 Model S. With the older car I could use regen braking on any gradient and not get a ding, however with the Refresh I get dings even for very slight inclines. I still manage to have a 100 score, however it takes more effort.

Meanwhile on the 2018 the score is now 99 after a FCW warning caused by someone overshooting a stop sign. Those are the worst. Either need to drive a 1000 miles or wait 30 days.

Reactions: Davidrun2B
I find not getting negative points for hard braking is harder with the Model S refresh, since there is no low regen setting, unlike the 2018 Model S. With the older car I could use regen braking on any gradient and not get a ding, however with the Refresh I get dings even for very slight inclines. I still manage to have a 100 score, however it takes more effort.

Meanwhile on the 2018 the score is now 99 after a FCW warning caused by someone overshooting a stop sign. Those are the worst. Either need to drive a 1000 miles or wait 30 days.
My only dings were 3.5% for unsafe following. Not sure where that came from as I was hanging back on all my drives.

My only dings were 3.5% for unsafe following. Not sure where that came from as I was hanging back on all my drives.
I gave up on the safety score. It dings you even if Auto Pilot does some wonky phantom braking or when it can’t anticipate a problem coming.

After several weeks of enabling, I found that almost all of my “red” marks came from instances where autopilot was engaged. If you want the beta FSD, I’d recommend not using autopilot until you get it. The irony……

Reactions: Davidrun2B
I gave up on the safety score. It dings you even if Auto Pilot does some wonky phantom braking or when it can’t anticipate a problem coming.

After several weeks of enabling, I found that almost all of my “red” marks came from instances where autopilot was engaged. If you want the beta FSD, I’d recommend not using autopilot until you get it. The irony……
Yes, not an enjoyable experience at all - especially since they have not added AND new US testers since last December!

I have never received a ding on autopilot. It is the only way I can drive on the freeway without getting unsafe following. I.e. merge onto freeway will give you a ding unless on autopilot, or people giving a large gap, which they never do. Also, while driving if people switch to your lanes without leaving a 2 second gap behind them you get a ding, unless on autopilot.

You sure you getting the ding on the freeway and not after or before? I used to get dings for hard braking all the time. I thought it was autopilot, it was actually me, right at my house :). I figured it out using an app on the store (iOS Safety Score Accelerometer). Turns out there is a curved down hill road that ends at a traffic light. I was braking to hard there, consistently.

I have never received a ding on autopilot. It is the only way I can drive on the freeway without getting unsafe following. I.e. merge onto freeway will give you a ding unless on autopilot, or people giving a large gap, which they never do. Also, while driving if people switch to your lanes without leaving a 2 second gap behind them you get a ding, unless on autopilot.

You sure you getting the ding on the freeway and not after or before? I used to get dings for hard braking all the time. I thought it was autopilot, it was actually me, right at my house :). I figured it out using an app on the store (iOS Safety Score Accelerometer). Turns out there is a curved down hill road that ends at a traffic light. I was braking to hard there, consistently.
I actually get most of the dings on a regular road with autopilot, not on the freeway. I did get one hard braking issue with autopilot in the freeway but then resolved that by changing the cruise distance to 4 or 5.

Almost all of the issues are from some sort of hard braking, mostly when using autopilot on local roads. Maybe I shouldn’t do that :)

I actually get most of the dings on a regular road with autopilot, not on the freeway. I did get one hard braking issue with autopilot in the freeway but then resolved that by changing the cruise distance to 4 or 5.

Almost all of the issues are from some sort of hard braking, mostly when using autopilot on local roads. Maybe I shouldn’t do that :)
I found the best strategy is use autopilot on freeway, with a 5 following distance, and never use autopilot when not on freeway.

The reason for not on freeway is that when you need to intervene off the freeway you normally end up with a ding. I.e. when driving manually I can predict things better than autopilot. For example when coming towards a pedestrian crossing with someone walking towards it I will start to slow down in anticipation. When on autopilot you would be inclined to not do anything, until you suddenly need to, and that is when you get the ding.

Further more autopilot does not count against you, it also does not count for you. So when autopilot is braking, turning, etc. you don't get any credit. So if you make a mistake during the short time you are driving you get a heavy hit on your score, since it is % hard braking for all the times you braked, it does not include the times autopilot braked. However if you have been manually driving most the time and have a hard breaking issue the % hit will be much lower.

I found the best strategy is use autopilot on freeway, with a 5 following distance, and never use autopilot when not on freeway.

The reason for not on freeway is that when you need to intervene off the freeway you normally end up with a ding. I.e. when driving manually I can predict things better than autopilot. For example when coming towards a pedestrian crossing with someone walking towards it I will start to slow down in anticipation. When on autopilot you would be inclined to not do anything, until you suddenly need to, and that is when you get the ding.

Further more autopilot does not count against you, it also does not count for you. So when autopilot is braking, turning, etc. you don't get any credit. So if you make a mistake during the short time you are driving you get a heavy hit on your score, since it is % hard braking for all the times you braked, it does not include the times autopilot braked. However if you have been manually driving most the time and have a hard breaking issue the % hit will be much lower.
Yeah I think this makes sense. I think I’m at the point where getting the actual FSD isn’t worth the hassle of trying to get a good score that caters to Tesla standards. I do have to keep an eye on what autopilot does on the local roads. And like you said, I interrupt it relatively frequently to avoid an “anticipated” issue that the current autopilot tech cannot predict.

That being said, I don’t like the eyesore of a low 90’s score, so I’ll probably follow your strategy for a bit and see if that helps improves my self esteem.