Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State: Model S Plaid/LR waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the best strategy is use autopilot on freeway, with a 5 following distance, and never use autopilot when not on freeway.

The reason for not on freeway is that when you need to intervene off the freeway you normally end up with a ding. I.e. when driving manually I can predict things better than autopilot. For example when coming towards a pedestrian crossing with someone walking towards it I will start to slow down in anticipation. When on autopilot you would be inclined to not do anything, until you suddenly need to, and that is when you get the ding.

Further more autopilot does not count against you, it also does not count for you. So when autopilot is braking, turning, etc. you don't get any credit. So if you make a mistake during the short time you are driving you get a heavy hit on your score, since it is % hard braking for all the times you braked, it does not include the times autopilot braked. However if you have been manually driving most the time and have a hard breaking issue the % hit will be much lower.
I agree with your strategy. I am all about keeping my beta sores high so that I can be approved for beta FSD testing, and will only be engaging autopilot on the freeway for time being. I am currently averaging 99 after getting a 98 on yesterdays drive. Unfortunately a bus pulled out and was dinged for braking. Some of the dings don't make sense to me, particularly the unsafe following one as I am very conservative in my following distance. I also got dinged yesterday for aggressive turning, which had me scratching my head in wonder without a clue.

Reactions: Mark II
I wanted to highlight a problem I am experiencing with my 3 week old MSLR in hopes that some of you might be able to shed some light or insights on solutions. I have a service request into Tesla for ranger visit next Wednesday to try and unscramble the apparent problems I am having getting summons to work properly getting my car out and into my garage. Never had a problem previously using keyfob for my 2015 MS85D. When I engage summons on my smartphone, it activates summons and moves my car to edge of garage and then shuts down. Can't get it to move the car out of the garage, which is very annoying. The keyfob does not work at all to activate summons the way it is supposed to, and also will not open the frunk or trunk as my previous keyfob did for my 2015 MS85D. Do any of you owners have any light to shed and is summons working for you? I have a very tight garage and using summons really reduced my stress for my past MS. Hopefully Tesla will be able to fix this problem for me.

I wanted to highlight a problem I am experiencing with my 3 week old MSLR in hopes that some of you might be able to shed some light or insights on solutions. I have a service request into Tesla for ranger visit next Wednesday to try and unscramble the apparent problems I am having getting summons to work properly getting my car out and into my garage. Never had a problem previously using keyfob for my 2015 MS85D. When I engage summons on my smartphone, it activates summons and moves my car to edge of garage and then shuts down. Can't get it to move the car out of the garage, which is very annoying. The keyfob does not work at all to activate summons the way it is supposed to, and also will not open the frunk or trunk as my previous keyfob did for my 2015 MS85D. Do any of you owners have any light to shed and is summons working for you? I have a very tight garage and using summons really reduced my stress for my past MS. Hopefully Tesla will be able to fix this problem for me.
I’m curious how you are doing this since I didn’t really understand it when it tried to use the feature. I see two options for summon: 1) summon to yourself and 2) summon to a target. Are you setting it to go to the target?

Also, there’s an option within the car to not require holding down the button when summoning. I have this enabled but still need to hold it down in the app, so I have no idea what I’m doing wrong there.

Can you elaborate on what steps you are taking to perform the summon? I can try to see if I can replicate ir just compare with what I’m doing (which is probably wrong).

I’m curious how you are doing this since I didn’t really understand it when it tried to use the feature. I see two options for summon: 1) summon to yourself and 2) summon to a target. Are you setting it to go to the target?

Also, there’s an option within the car to not require holding down the button when summoning. I have this enabled but still need to hold it down in the app, so I have no idea what I’m doing wrong there.

Can you elaborate on what steps you are taking to perform the summon? I can try to see if I can replicate ir just compare with what I’m doing (which is probably wrong).
I used summons previously with my MS85D for over 6 years with key fob, to move out and into my garage and followed the process described in the owners manual. This is not the go to target variant of summons. I have not elected the hold down button option, which would eliminate the key fob summon option. The option which I described is the one that had worked on my previous MS. Something is amiss and summon is not working for me, but hopefully I will get it resolved with Tesla service visit nextWednesday. I enter summon from my Tesla app on my Iphone and depress the direction (back or forward) that I wish the car to travel up to 39’ in any direction. The key fob option described in manual is not engaging and not working at all. In my 2015 MS85D the key fob was the only option for moving car in summons, and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
I agree with your strategy. I am all about keeping my beta sores high so that I can be approved for beta FSD testing, and will only be engaging autopilot on the freeway for time being. I am currently averaging 99 after getting a 98 on yesterdays drive. Unfortunately a bus pulled out and was dinged for braking. Some of the dings don't make sense to me, particularly the unsafe following one as I am very conservative in my following distance. I also got dinged yesterday for aggressive turning, which had me scratching my head in wonder without a clue.
Unsafe following is only measured when you are traveling at least 50 mph. This also means you only get credit at 50 mph or higher. So if you always drive manually off the freeway, i.e. likely below 50, and autopilot on the freeway. You don't get dings, but you also don't get credit. So for most people that follow the strategy of autopilot on freeway and manual off freeway need to be very careful about transition. i.e. on ramp and off ramp. As you merge onto the freeway you need to be sure the vehicles you merge behind are at least more than 1 full second ahead of you. Also you need to be no more than 3 seconds behind to get credit. More than that is not counted as following.

I use the old 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi way to determine follow distance. I.e. as the back bumper of the car in front of me passes a road sign I start counting until my front pumper passes the same sign. I aim for 2 seconds. I do this when trying to fix a ding. I use autopilot to get onto freeway, wait until I am following someone at the right distance, i.e. about 5 setting for following distance, then disengage autopilot for a few miles. This fixes it very quickly.

Reactions: Davidrun2B
Sorry, I hardly ever use summons. It freaks out in my garage. I think I have too much stuff on the sides that confuses it and makes it want to drive in crooked.

Got weird question figured I will ask the group here:

1. So the trunk covers are missing for my Model S LR but there's trunk inside trunk (really deep). Does that come with cover as well ? How many pieces am I actually missing ?
2. Car came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and as per my google search these are summer tires ? I was under the impression that the car came with all seasons. Anyone tried getting them swapped from tesla lynnwood ?

1. So the trunk covers are missing for my Model S LR but there's trunk inside trunk (really deep). Does that come with cover as well ? How many pieces am I actually missing ?
Two pieces I believe (still waiting for mine). A large one to cover the big hole, and a smaller one to cover the hole on the left. Found this on the web:
1649643450333.png

2. Car came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and as per my google search these are summer tires ? I was under the impression that the car came with all seasons. Anyone tried getting them swapped from tesla lynnwood ?
Mine came with Continental ProContact RX all seasons (M+S). I would ask for sure. I have heard others have had success getting theirs changed (not sure which SC).

Two trunkcovers,large and small one on left side. Both were provided to my LR last week by Lynwood SC.

Two pieces I believe (still waiting for mine). A large one to cover the big hole, and a smaller one to cover the hole on the left. Found this on the web:
View attachment 792247

Mine came with Continental ProContact RX all seasons (M+S). I would ask for sure. I have heard others have had success getting theirs changed (not sure which SC).
Thanks Mark. I have updated the ticket with service center. lets see what they say

I seem have this issue where my side mirror (passenger side) always points in some weird direction, especially if the auto tilt is enabled. It rarely goes back to the profile settings and I have to touch the profile name again for it to reset properly.

Is that a known issue? I put this into the service request back in feb and of course they came back with “could not replicate”….

View attachment 792247

MY 19" LR came with Pireli Treadwear 280, Traction AA, Temperature A (255/45 R19 104Y). Anyone have any idea what these are, Summer or all season? Ok, I googled and looks like they are all season tires. No problem with the tires on my car :0)

I will be taking my car into Tesla Lynwood SC tomorrow to evaluate the summon issue. Additionally my two keyfobs do not open the frunk/trunk as they are supposed to, and will not engage summon as they are supposed to. Any of you with a similar problem?

Last edited:
MY 19" LR came with Pireli Treadwear 280, Traction AA, Temperature A (255/45 R19 104Y). Anyone have any idea what these are, Summer or all season? Ok, I googled and looks like they are all season tires. No problem with the tires on my car :0)

I will be taking my car into Tesla Lynwood SC tomorrow to evaluate the summon issue. Additionally my two keyfobs do not open the frunk/trunk as they are supposed to, and will not engage summon as they are supposed to. Any of you with a similar problem?
I can't seem to get summon to work with the Fob either, not that I ever use it. However I can open the trunk and frunk by double clicking the fob.

I can't seem to get summon to work with the Fob either, not that I ever use it. However I can open the trunk and frunk by double clicking the fob.
You have to depress top of keyfob until the lights start flashing and then depress trunk or frunk to indicate direction. The keyfob works as well as the IPhone, but only advances the car to edge of garage and then shuts down. Outside my garage summons works like a champion. Tesla thinks I have an obstruction in garage impacting the WIFI signal. Never had a problem with summons before with my 2015 MS85D with over 6 years of using summons, and never had a problem getting car out of garage. I am not sure what the problem is or how to fix it, short of upgrading my router, which I intend to do. At least everything else is working, so for now I will be backing my car out of garage sans Summons. My keyfob works for opening the frunk and opening/closing the trunk with the double click you mentioned.

BTW I just ordered Taptes spoiler for my car, and can't wait to see it installed on the trunk. TAPTES® Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Spoiler for Tesla Model S

I am on the fence regarding ordering mudflaps but am considering them as well.

Last edited: