Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Sales Tax Exemption and Long Range Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what I asked though. I know what sales tax is LOL. :D
It does actually look pretty much like what you asked, though. You asked "does the sales tax stay the same?". DSolie gave you an example of how sales tax works.

Maybe give us a more detailed version of the question, or maybe an example of what you are looking into, perhaps?

That's not what I asked though. I know what sales tax is LOL. :D
The only other thing I can think you mean is if you buy a new car in WA, take delivery, pay tax, and then move to CA. Usually if the vehicle is registered in WA (or another state) and THEN you move the other state won't tax it. However, if you try to puchase in WA while you are legally a resident of another state and take the car to that state before you register the car, the new state will collect tax (you also wouldn't qualify for the WA sales tax exemption based on residence)

Reactions: VandalSibs
The only other thing I can think you mean is if you buy a new car in WA, take delivery, pay tax, and then move to CA. Usually if the vehicle is registered in WA (or another state) and THEN you move the other state won't tax it. However, if you try to puchase in WA while you are legally a resident of another state and take the car to that state before you register the car, the new state will collect tax (you also wouldn't qualify for the WA sales tax exemption based on residence)
It depends on how long ago you bought the car. If you purchased the car less than 12 months before trying to register it in CA, you will have to pay CA tax on it. Though the amount owed is reduced by whatever amount you already paid in sales taxes in whatever state you bought the car in. So, no double taxing but no evading paying the CA tax rate on it either. If the purchase was longer than a year ago this doesn't apply.

Reactions: VandalSibs