Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington state to Virginia and back in a TMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
started a round trip cross country trip in our 2016 TMS 90D. Biggest trip before was 1500 and this should be 6900 miles. Not sure if my friend was right when he asked “Are you out of your Damned Mind?!?” Being prior Navy we have moved cross country 2 times, and North /south several. As of today we are 1545 miles in, 3 National Parks, many mount ranges and 4 states down. Found 2 broken super chargers and one with standing room only, most have been empty and one with a nice conversation with an owner from Ohio headed to Oregon. More to come if anyone cares.

772AB064-150C-4287-A2DC-D12832B19D5E.png
70F0C441-8DD5-4CBD-B3BD-1C282F8F4718.jpeg
9E86C683-D740-4471-BE22-0E60B5356BBD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun!

In June, my wife and I went from WA to North Carolina in an X 100D. That was 6,500 miles and it was a fantastic trip - we hit National Parks in Arizona, Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee. No issues with the car or charging.

We have taken a trip like that in a Tesla every year since 2010 although they are generally more like 3,500 miles. The longest one was 11,000 miles in 2014, when we went to Acadia in Maine, with stops in Arizona and Colorado.

We have never had a problem with any of the cars. The only time I ever had a problem with charging was in 2010, but that was before charging stations (much less Superchargers) so I was charging at campgrounds.

We find electric road trips to be much nicer than gas ones ever were. You are definitely not out of your mind!

started a round trip cross country trip in our 2016 TMS 90D. Biggest trip before was 1500 and this should be 6900 miles. Not sure if my friend was right when he asked “Are you out of your Damned Mind?!?” Being prior Navy we have moved cross country 2 times, and North /south several. As of today we are 1545 miles in, 3 National Parks, many mount ranges and 4 states down. Found 2 broken super chargers and one with standing room only, most have been empty and one with a nice conversation with an owner from Ohio headed to Oregon. More to come if anyone cares.

TMS...
Please be sure to call or email Tesla about any inoperative or underperforming Supercharger stalls you come across...
Thanks!

Electric road trips are the best !

Instead of going through Chicago, you should go through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then stop off at Mackinaw Island and cross the Mackinaw Bridge. Then go through Harbor Springs, Petosky, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes and down the west coast of Michigan. (If you haven’t been there before.) There are no Superchargers in the UP by Escanaba yet but you could stay overnight at destination charger location through there. I have done it with my 2017 S90D.

Last edited:
Instead of going through Chicago, you should go through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then stop off at Mackinaw Island and cross the Mackinaw Bridge. Then go through Harbor Springs, Petosky, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes and down the west coast of Michigan. (If you haven’t been there before.) There are no Superchargers in the UP by Escanaba yet but you could stay overnight at destination charger location through there. I have done it with my 2017 S90D.
We headed south for Indiana Sand Dunes National Park. But thanks for the advice.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
C7B5EF75-598A-4BB7-991D-89F8E9001911.jpeg
TMS...
Please be sure to call or email Tesla about any inoperative or underperforming Supercharger stalls you come across...
Thanks!

Electric road trips are the best !
It would be helpful if Tesla gave us a 800 number to call that didn’t leave you on hold for 20 minutes or better yet a number we could text with info. I have found 2 broken chargers and one where they need to fire the contractor who installed the stalls, in this pic, the furthest on the right isn’t in a stall and all the rest don’t aline with the parking spots.

View attachment 453573
It would be helpful if Tesla gave us a 800 number to call that didn’t leave you on hold for 20 minutes or better yet a number we could text with info. I have found 2 broken chargers and one where they need to fire the contractor who installed the stalls, in this pic, the furthest on the right isn’t in a stall and all the rest don’t aline with the parking spots.
Agreed. There is an email alias you can use to report issues too. I forget what it is now but a google search would probably help you find another way to try and contact them and get ignored :D

View attachment 453573

On your account page, perhaps just request help for charging and mention it in there. Then they “should” have a record of it.

B742851C-BE26-49BB-AF8B-724C1A65796C.jpeg
View attachment 453573
Well I just call about two problems in Maumee, OH 2b kept stopping and 3a is missing part of its plug, and the phone was answered in less than 20 seconds.

7581.4 Miles of road trip in a 2016 Tesla Model S 90D and I found out a few things, wonder if Tesla will care? We have zero problems with the car, it drove and handled perfectly! The GPS is a different story. We estimate the GPS was correct on location of Super Charger 40% of the time. “Your destination is now on the right” nope, left. “Your destination is on the left” nope, not in sight, drive 1000 yards, go behind a restaurant and low and behold there is the super charger. I mean come on Tesla it is your directions how about “Your destination is behind the Ruby Tuesday”. 3 times the GPS failed to tell us to take a spilt on a highway!! The first time, we were facing a direction we didn’t know which one to take, 3 interstates splitting, 4 state highways and NO direction from the GPS. YEP we chose poorly. Lucky for us it was a Y we could cut across and join the right interstate and it only cost us 20 minutes, toll money and not the extra hour on our journey the other route was calling for. The next two times we were better prepared and had a better handle on the area and got the right direction. I have never had that happen in any GPS system in any other car before! GPS should not be in Beta for a car that is on the road, there should be a finished product, Beta should be “upgrades” to test. This was a major flaw. The way the GPS zooms in and out while driving on and off highways is hard to navigate too, not seeing direction of turns because the map is zoomed out wide for highway driving even after your off the highway and trying to figure out your next direction is rough in the dark and pouring rain. Using cell connection for GPS data is a bad idea (when compared to speed and accuracy of a CD/Sim system) waiting for the data to fill on the map, directions to propagate, and to find out where you are heading next can take many minutes when you are in a area with low cell coverage. My Waze app was always faster that the GPS system. I know there are many threads about head lights but until you drive in an area with zero streetlights and you are all alone on a highway, do your really realize how terriable the head lights really are, I am now looking for a salution for them ASAP. Not sure what their thought process was for the placement of a Super charger in PA, had to get off the Toll road, use the super charger, pay a toll to get back on the toll road, and within ½ mile there was a service oasis. WHY did they not put the Super Charger AT the service oasis? super chargers are for traveling not people to use around home are they not? Maybe the state would not let them add them there, but to a traveler to have to exit the toll road, travel 4 miles, super charge, then travel back seemed a bit ridiculous. The PROS: met some nice people along the way at super chargers, both Tesla owners and not, talked to a mobile tech in Norfolk VA who insisted on filling my windshield washer fluid tank. Visited 5 National Parks, 2 National Monuments and 22 states crossed the continental divide twice, drove by the golden spike and up to the 2nd highest point east of the Mississippi (in Smokey Mountain Nation Park). GPS did direct me to super chargers (close enough) that we never had range anxiety once! With free super charging ZERO cost to cross the country and home! If you are thinking of trying this, do it. Many super chargers are in hotel parking lots and it works out great at the end of a day to unpack, relax and set a timer to remember to go unplug the car after a full charge for the next days start. We had a great time. Hope to see you out there next time we hit the road.IMG_6866.jpegIMG_6945.jpegIMG_6945.jpegIMG_6962.jpegIMG_7039.jpegIMG_7081.jpeg

Reactions: Eugene Ash
On your account page??? I think of the dozen or so times I've contacted Tesla through the web page I have gotten a reply once! Just ONCE!

Sorry to be a downer, but I am completely disappointed in my car because of the way Tesla treats people. I guess that's why they let you buy online, trying to sell through stores would lose more sales than they make if sales works like the rest of the company.

I'm glad the OP is enjoying the trip.

Weird. I’m two for two. But it does take a few days to hear back (which is too long).