Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery yesterday of my MYP and I've already experienced a problem. I didn't even think to check the tires because my buddy took delivery of his MYP just a week ago and it came with Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons, so I just assumed that's what I would get. I accepted delivery but then when I got home, I noticed I had Pirelli P Zero summer tires. Summer tires in Nov in the PNW - how wonderful! I called Tesla to see what I can do, and my only option is to buy another set of tires for ~$2K. Since I already accepted the car, I can't reject delivery anymore (even if I could, there's no guarantee the next car would have all seasons). The person I spoke to said they're seeing both configurations being delivered - some will get all seasons and some will get summer tires. I recognize ultimately it's my responsibility and I should've checked before accepting delivery, but it would have been nice if Tesla can inform customers what kind of tires they're getting. So lesson learned - check your tires if you want all seasons.
I realize your narrative draws this same conclusion but for clarity - "Check your tires if you want all seasons" would imply that you have any choice in the matter, like Tesla will swap them out. Not how it works. Your options are to reject the car, and hope some with Michelin appear later, or accept the Pirelli and complement or replace with a set of all seasons.

If I had to theorycraft a few hypothesis regarding tires it's either:
a. Whatever they have in inventory during the time your car is built
b. A car was built for a buyer in a state where summers make more sense (like CA), the owner got VIN'd and cancelled, and Tesla's <next order up for that config> or whatever crazy algo chooses the next owner, then assigned and routed to a state where all seasons are more desirable.

I realize your narrative draws this same conclusion but for clarity - "Check your tires if you want all seasons" would imply that you have any choice in the matter, like Tesla will swap them out. Not how it works. Your options are to reject the car, and hope some with Michelin appear later, or accept the Pirelli and complement or replace with a set of all seasons.

If I had to theorycraft a few hypothesis regarding tires it's either:
a. Whatever they have in inventory during the time your car is built
b. A car was built for a buyer in a state where summers make more sense (like CA), the owner got VIN'd and cancelled, and Tesla's <next order up for that config> or whatever crazy algo chooses the next owner, then assigned and routed to a state where all seasons are more desirable.
I don't expect Tesla to swap out the summer tires for new all season tires because that would be a level of customer service that's actually meaningful. But my point is check your tires so that you're 100% aware of what you're getting, so that you can make an informed decision if/when you accept delivery. If I could go back in time, I would have rejected delivery.

To play devil's advocate, you now have the best performing tire for summer. Not sure you'd want to run the Michelin in the winter anyways. So now you can get a good set of All Weather (like Cross Climate II) or a good Winter (like Nokian R5 or Michelin X-Ice) for winter and have max performance Pirelli for summer. Tire cost is moot as you just wear them each less per season. Only added cost is a new set of wheels as I'd probably downsize to 19" for the winter tire instead of mounting and un-mounting the tires from the 21" wheels every season.
Valid points, but nothing I really care about. What does concern me is that I have a new car with 15 miles on the odometer sitting in my garage that I now have to buy a new set of tires for if I want to actually be able to use it. It's regularly sub-40 F, especially in the mornings where I live, and I don't want my wife driving it with summer tires.

Reactions: Whiz
Valid points, but nothing I really care about. What does concern me is that I have a new car with 15 miles on the odometer sitting in my garage that I now have to buy a new set of tires for if I want to actually be able to use it. It's regularly sub-40 F, especially in the mornings where I live, and I don't want my wife driving it with summer tires.
So you're good with spending ~$85k out the door on the car, but not $2k to properly shoe it? Interesting...

For the people who picked up in the Seattle location recently - did your Y come with the front mud flaps and PPF on the rear quarter? Picked my 2023 up on Friday and it did not have those. I figured it would be standard here in the PNW.
I picked up my Y last week and no mudflaps or PPF. I just installed some Yeslak mudflaps and I have an appointment for front PPF in 2 weeks at NW Autoshield.

You could probably sell those new tires and uberturbines for more than what a new 19” set with good all seasons costs.

How was your experience in putting the order on hold? Did you call the SA who contacted you after getting the VIN? How long were you able to keep the order on hold?
Since I ordered through the website and never got assigned a SA for this order i just received a text msg from a number that my phone automatically named Tesla, with the link to schedule delivery. So i just texted back saying i need to hold. They told me that Tesla MIGHT cancel my order if i request to hold again.

For the people who picked up in the Seattle location recently - did your Y come with the front mud flaps and PPF on the rear quarter? Picked my 2023 up on Friday and it did not have those. I figured it would be standard here in the PNW.

Hey @UoMDeacon. my wife and I picked up ours (MY LR, base with tow) on Saturday (Nov 5th), and no, I did not come with neither front mud flaps nor PPF. We did get the cargo cover (aka parcel shelf), which I was actually looking forward to. It would have been nice to get those, but I am personally really happy with it so far!
Edit: Also, since we got a base LR we got all ProContact season tires.

Hey @UoMDeacon. my wife and I picked up ours (MY LR, base with tow) on Saturday (Nov 5th), and no, I did not come with neither front mud flaps nor PPF. We did get the cargo cover (aka parcel shelf), which I was actually looking forward to. It would have been nice to get those, but I am personally really happy with it so far!
Edit: Also, since we got a base LR we got all ProContact season tires.
Cool, thanks for chiming in! Seems like the Seattle location isn't providing the mud flaps or PPF. I've actually set up a post delivery issues service appointment and I requested both of those. Will see how it goes on the 16th.

Reactions: volium
Cool, thanks for chiming in! Seems like the Seattle location isn't providing the mud flaps or PPF. I've actually set up a post delivery issues service appointment and I requested both of those. Will see how it goes on the 16th.
I’ve heard that Tesla uses really low quality ppf. Better off buying xpel precuts and diy. Should cost the same

Portland / Seattle

MYP blue / black
Ordered 10/9
Estimated 11/9
VIN 10/31
1st Delivery 11/3. Tesla canceled the night before.
2nd Delivery 11/8. Tesla canceled the night before but didn’t notify me this time.
Now 11/? Maybe

Attempted to fly to Seattle to pick it up but they tried to charge me an additional $2k in local Seattle taxes compared to Vancouver WA taxes that they didn’t mention.

Now they have removed my delivery date entirely as well as my vin number.

I made the foolish mistake of paying them and getting insurance and selling my previous car. I would rant to Tesla but their phone system automatically ends the call after 10 minutes if I’m on hold.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
Portland / Seattle

MYP blue / black
Ordered 10/9
Estimated 11/9
VIN 10/31
1st Delivery 11/3. Tesla canceled the night before.
2nd Delivery 11/8. Tesla canceled the night before but didn’t notify me this time.
Now 11/? Maybe

Attempted to fly to Seattle to pick it up but they tried to charge me an additional $2k in local Seattle taxes compared to Vancouver WA taxes that they didn’t mention.

Now they have removed my delivery date entirely as well as my vin number.

I made the foolish mistake of paying them and getting insurance and selling my previous car. I would rant to Tesla but their phone system automatically ends the call after 10 minutes if I’m on hold.
Well that sounds like a miserable delivery experience :-(

Regarding taxes, from your initial order agreement:

"Price indicated does not include taxes and governmental fees, which will be calculated as your delivery date nears. You will be responsible for these additional taxes and fees. "

Well that sounds like a miserable delivery experience :-(

Regarding taxes, from your initial order agreement:

"Price indicated does not include taxes and governmental fees, which will be calculated as your delivery date nears. You will be responsible for these additional taxes and fees. "
Actually the taxes were factored into the original agreement but the county Seattle is in has a 11% sales tax rate on vehicle purchases but Clark county has about a 8% tax rate on vehicle purchases.

For whatever reason they calculate it in the county it was purchased in if it was purchased within the state.

Actually the taxes were factored into the original agreement but the county Seattle is in has a 11% sales tax rate on vehicle purchases but Clark county has about a 8% tax rate on vehicle purchases.

For whatever reason they calculate it in the county it was purchased in if it was purchased within the state.
Not when I ordered. Taxes were not calculated until there is an MVPA document generated, Order agreement has no taxes on it. You always pay taxes where it's ordered.

Order agreement:
Screenshot 2022-11-08 070728.jpg

MVPA (generated when you have a VIN and delivery is scheduled) is when taxes are calculated. I took delivery at the Lynnwood, WA SC.
Screenshot 2022-11-08 071143.jpg