Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a message from the service team who will be taking care of some of the things that needed fix upon delivery. They said that since the vehicle was not built with lumbar, they will not be able to retrofit it for me. Complete BS answer but it is expected. They also want me to mark with blue tape everything that needs to be fixed when I drop off the car. Hmmm. This whole thing seems ingenuine and shady.

I just received a message from the service team who will be taking care of some of the things that needed fix upon delivery. They said that since the vehicle was not built with lumbar, they will not be able to retrofit it for me. Complete BS answer but it is expected. They also want me to mark with blue tape everything that needs to be fixed when I drop off the car. Hmmm. This whole thing seems ingenuine and shady.
Sounds like what i had to do when i bought a new house. Marked every area that needed fixing with blue tape and had the builder come in and fix it all. Did they give you an estimate on how long it'd take to fix all the issues?

Sounds like what i had to do when i bought a new house. Marked every area that needed fixing with blue tape and had the builder come in and fix it all. Did they give you an estimate on how long it'd take to fix all the issues?
They said it could be up to 3 days if they need to repaint anything. That alone sounds sketchy because the vehicle I've had painted in the past required a lot longer curing time. I have no idea what else to expect. I assume they mean blue painter's tape?

Last edited:
They said it could be up to 3 days if they need to repaint anything. That alone sounds sketchy because the vehicle I've hand painted in the past required a lot longer curing time. I have no idea what else to expect. I assume they mean blue painter's tape?
That's all 100% legit. I did it with my 3 back in 2018 (when builds weren't quite as good as they are today). Most builds I've heard about recently have been excellent though if you're nitpicky or have bad luck, you can use blue painter's tape to mark off all items you want addressed on the car (I'd recommend doing that once you get to the store so you're not driving around with tape on the car). Paint shops have same-day curing that'll work in many cases.

Did you already pick up the car or is this all just-in-case?

And all that being said, as much as this isn't ideal now, it'll be a blip once you're past it. Our car's been an absolute joy with almost no issues. And we're having our Y delivered on Thurs. Super excited.

That's all 100% legit. I did it with my 3 back in 2018 (when builds weren't quite as good as they are today). Most builds I've heard about recently have been excellent though if you're nitpicky or have bad luck, you can use blue painter's tape to mark off all items you want addressed on the car (I'd recommend doing that once you get to the store so you're not driving around with tape on the car). Paint shops have same-day curing that'll work in many cases.

Did you already pick up the car or is this all just-in-case?

And all that being said, as much as this isn't ideal now, it'll be a blip once you're past it. Our car's been an absolute joy with almost no issues. And we're having our Y delivered on Thurs. Super excited.
Thanks for the input! this is real-life as I took delivery last week. I admit I am being nitpicky but that's because I was told by them in writing I would have the new headlights and the removal of lumbar support remained un-mentioned. If they are not going to be straightforward with me then I will do my best to find out everything else that isn't perfect. Petty, I know, but I believe it's justified.

I figured when purchasing that the most common color would play a big role in facilitating delivery, so with my two choices being the multicoat red and multicoat white, I went with white with black interior.

I don't know what your VIN is, but mine was 1989XX, which is a very new build. Not only that but there were less than 20 miles on the odometer. As mentioned by the delivery rep, the quality of the new builds is excellent, and indeed mine had no defects at all. It was beautiful. I had an extensive checklist, but I wasn't going to keep the rep waiting for me to go down the entire list. What I and my son and wife did was do an overall exterior and interior inspection to ensure no gaps, malalignments, or major paint or interior defects, and that all doors and lids opened and closed properly and the rear seats functioned as advertised. Also, ensure the charging cables and tow hook are present and the glovebox opens. That's all you need to do to accept delivery and only took about 5 minutes. Then sign for acceptance on the rep's cell phone and he boots the car and your Tesla app, and it's now yours. I said thanks to the rep and let him go with the knowledge that I had 24 hours to finish my detailed checklist and report any flaws on the Tesla app. Fortunately, I found none.

Another thing to note with a car this new and with very low miles is that it takes at least 25 miles to calibrate the cameras before autopilot can be used, and I experienced that on my test drive. Surrounding the autosteer icon will be an advancing blue circle to let you know the progress in achieving calibration. Once the circle completes it then goes away and you have autopilot functionality.

While I was learning the display modes an update alert appeared. I elected to schedule the update, which takes 25 minutes, at 2 am, but then I decided to display the owner's manual. I got a bizarre sequence when the manual would not display, the air conditioner fan speed went to max, then the car shut down and rebooted. This repeated every time until I decided to perform the upgrade immediately. After that, I rebooted the car by holding down the two rotating knobs on the steering wheel while pushing the brake pedal and after a couple of minutes, the car came back to life, I could now read the owner's manual, and the bizarre reboot sequence disappeared. I'm not sure this would be intuitive to the average buyer.
Almost forgot to ask - was front license plate bracket installed, or just included (for you to install) in the frunk?

Thanks for the input! this is real-life as I took delivery last week. I admit I am being nitpicky but that's because I was told by them in writing I would have the new headlights and the removal of lumbar support remained un-mentioned. If they are not going to be straightforward with me then I will do my best to find out everything else that isn't perfect. Petty, I know, but I believe it's justified.
Did you get Performance? From what I've seen, only MYP has the new headlights. So that's odd they'd say any differently, especially in writing. Re: lumbar, perhaps you can get a service credit to get it installed at a later date? It isn't important to most people, but when we all ordered, it was listed...so I think it's reasonable to find resolution there if it's indeed a needed feature. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she had no clue lumbar adjustments were even a thing in the car we've had for 3 years haha.

Just stopped by the Bellevue storage location. Huge amount of cars sitting there waiting for delivery. All MYPs had projectors, none of the LR or standard ones had projectors.

Couldn't see if any of them were missing the lumbar control unfortunately.

I also forgot to look if any of them had the new wood trim on the door.

Fingers crossed that one of them is mine.

Nah i plan to do the same, for the amount of money we are spending on these cars, they should be flawless coming from the Factory. Never have i had to go through an inspection check list for any other cars i purchase.

I made sure when they prep my car that they don't wax or finish it, just give it the bare minimum wash with a new water and towel. Will save me the hassle of decontaminating it later when i ceramic coat it.

Nah i plan to do the same, for the amount of money we are spending on these cars, they should be flawless coming from the Factory. Never have i had to go through an inspection check list for any other cars i purchase.

I made sure when they prep my car that they don't wax or finish it, just give it the bare minimum wash with a new water and towel. Will save me the hassle of decontaminating it later when i ceramic coat it.
They left wax all over my car. Every sensor had wax packed around it.

Just took delivery of our MY from Renton. Process was painless, just signing some title documentation and then driving off. Probably took 15 min start to finish.

They do give you 24 hours/100 miles to note any defects in the app. Granted, since this was a pickup, we did a semi-thorough look over to see if there were any issues. The only thing I found was that the rear hatch was a bit misaligned.

Car did come with PPF and no lumbar.

Just took delivery of our MY from Renton. Process was painless, just signing some title documentation and then driving off. Probably took 15 min start to finish.

They do give you 24 hours/100 miles to note any defects in the app. Granted, since this was a pickup, we did a semi-thorough look over to see if there were any issues. The only thing I found was that the rear hatch was a bit misaligned.

Car did come with PPF and no lumbar.
How did their lot look in terms of inventory?