Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla at it again, playing games and moved up my EDD from 12/28 - 12/31 to 12/23 - 12/31...
your not alone lol Order date 10/16/21 MYP White/Black no tow Original EDD 12/02-12/30 than 12/09-12/31 than 12/29-12/31 than today it switched to 12/24-12/31... My 90 day rate/loan lock expired last week i called Tesla they told me to switch to Cash for now and once i get a vin to call back and switch it back to financing. Just want my car 🥲

your not alone lol Order date 10/16/21 MYP White/Black no tow Original EDD 12/02-12/30 than 12/09-12/31 than 12/29-12/31 than today it switched to 12/24-12/31... My 90 day rate/loan lock expired last week i called Tesla they told me to switch to Cash for now and once i get a vin to call back and switch it back to financing. Just want my car 🥲
Lucky EDD you got, I ordered 10/31 with the same config and I am Jan into Feb.

Tesla at it again, playing games and moved up my EDD from 12/28 - 12/31 to 12/23 - 12/31...
Tesla can't seem to win. By updating the possible date windows as the probability of one being ready changes, they are "playing games". By keeping it vague (say a 2-4 week window), then dropping a next day delivery date on people, they're drawing fire.

What would be your solution to design the perfect prediction and notification system? Be specific.

Tesla can't seem to win. By updating the possible date windows as the probability of one being ready changes, they are "playing games". By keeping it vague (say a 2-4 week window), then dropping a next day delivery date on people, they're drawing fire.

What would be your solution to design the perfect prediction and notification system? Be specific.
I was being quite sarcastic, but sure I'll bite. To start, I shouldn't have to be specific, I don't work for Tesla. So it isn't my job to solve their prediction and notification system, they have people on payroll for that. But it seems they are winning quite a bit as a billion dollar company, yet still can't accurately provide a viable EDD system.

To start, they've updated my EDD window more times than weeks since I've ordered, basically more than one update per week. That is absolutely ridiculous as most of your customers need time to figure out finance, their car (if trade is needed), and life in general. I don't wish my experience on anyone waiting for their order. What happened to the 'customer experience' or 'customer first' mentality? Seems like a lot of that has gone away with the dodo.

They've been building cars since 2008 and have a decade of data on their manufacturing output, they know their output capacity. Specifically only have a few build options to streamline production, and only have one factory in the US for US based customers. By all intent and purposes, they should be able to very accurately predict when you should receive your order. Possible solution? Don't update the EDD until you know a VIN WILL BE assigned, not might, maybe, or possibly. From your comment, there looks to be a big disconnect from their EDD system and VIN assignment system. Why are they assigning a VIN the SAME DAY when they just pushed out someone's EDD by weeks if not months?

It's much better to under promise and over deliver, than vis-versa. I've seen others with the same config, similar OD, and same region have only a few EDD windows vs. my dozen updates, and would prefer the former. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for my Tesla, but if you think this system is anywhere near ideal, please gather some perspective and stop drinking the Tesla kool-aid. I'm just asking to give me one or several dates, and stick to it so I can properly plan. Not 13 EDD windows later.

Last edited:
a
I was being quite sarcastic, but sure I'll bite. To start, I don't have to be specific, I don't work for Tesla. So it isn't my job to solve their prediction and notification system, they have people on payroll for that. But it seems they are winning quite a bit as a billion dollar company, yet still can't accurately provide a viable EDD system.

To start, they've updated my EDD window more times than weeks since I've ordered, basically more than one update per week. That is absolutely ridiculous as most of your customers need time to figure out finance, their car (if trade is needed), and life in general. I don't wish my experience on anyone waiting for their order. What happened to the 'customer experience' or 'customer first' mentality? Seems like a lot of that has gone away with the dodo.

They've been building cars since 2008 and have a decade of data on their manufacturing output, they know their output capacity. Specifically only have a few build options to streamline production, and only have one factory in the US for US based customers. By all intent and purposes, they should be able to very accurately predict when you should receive your order. Possible solution? Don't update the EDD until you know a VIN WILL BE assigned, not might, maybe, or possibly. From your comment, there looks to be a big disconnect from their EDD system and VIN assignment system. Why are they assigning a VIN the SAME DAY when they just pushed out someone's EDD by weeks if not months?

It's much better to under promise and over deliver, than vis-versa. I've seen others with the same config, similar OD, and same region have only a few EDD windows vs. my dozen updates, and would prefer the former. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for my Tesla, but if you think this system is anywhere near ideal, please gather some perspective and stop drinking the Tesla kool-aid. I'm just asking to give me one or several dates, and stick to it so I can properly plan. Not 13 EDD windows later.
None of this really answers my question :)

Maybe they should take a non-refundable $10000 deposit to stop the holds and configuration changes, in order to provide a more deterministic EDD? In many ways their flexibility impairs the ability to predict arrival.

You certainly don't need to work for Tesla in order to think through the complexity of the problem. This would make a good tech interview question methinks.

a

Maybe they should take a non-refundable $10000 deposit to stop the holds and configuration changes, in order to provide a more deterministic EDD? In many ways their flexibility impairs the ability to predict arrival.

You certainly don't need to work for Tesla in order to think through the complexity of the problem. This would make a good tech interview question methinks.
Configuration changes don't matter because if you make one you go to the back of the line. The hold issue is ridiculous as well but that is an entirely separate topic. No holds is bad customer service and people would bash them for not being customer centric, but when you allow it people abuse the system and process so others gets screwed. Lose, lose either way.

Reactions: nguyem86
Configuration changes don't matter because if you make one you go to the back of the line. The hold issue is ridiculous as well but that is an entirely separate topic. No holds is bad customer service and people would bash them for not being customer centric, but when you allow it people abuse the system and process so others gets screwed. Lose, lose either way.
Don't understand the logic here. Any change on the part of the customer alters their ability to predict a delivery date. Full stop. The degree to which it alters may differ - e.g. white exterior / black interior probably least impactful since it's the most common config ordered. But it's not zero impact. For some geographies it could change a smaller queue that's in it quite drastically.

No doubt their system is imperfect, but if you really think through the problem, you'll start to appreciate the complexity.

a

Agreed that a starting point would be to take a higher deposit as $250 for a $60K car seems a bit low. Also, don't change or update the EDD until a VIN is assigned. If it your order comes sooner, have the option of picking up early, or follow the EDD window you assigned, but from the looks of it, people are trying to pick up their orders ASAP. This way, Tesla has some skin in the game to provide more accurate dates if they don't want cars to sit idle. This whole, "you have 2-days to pick up your car" on very specific timeframes from VIN assignment, but your EDD was 4-weeks out is poor service.

Agreed that a starting point would be to take a higher deposit as $250 for a $60K car seems a bit low. Also, don't change or update the EDD until a VIN is assigned. If it your order comes sooner, have the option of picking up early, or follow the EDD window you assigned, but from the looks of it, people are trying to pick up their orders ASAP. This way, Tesla has some skin in the game to provide more accurate dates if they don't want cars to sit idle. This whole, "you have 2-days to pick up your car" on very specific timeframes from VIN assignment, but your EDD was 4-weeks out is poor service.
Giving an EDD based on VIN makes some assumptions about *when* the VIN is actually assigned. Beyond production, had you thought about the "carriage/transport" availability including weather conditions, delivery to the SC, prep time for the vehicle, and the SC's "velocity" to deliver cars? There are many variables here and each one compounds the level of imprecision when forecasting a date.

The latter point I don't disagree with but the complaint was bouncing EDD's. How much time you have after being notified, to take delivery, is an entirely different subject.

Don't understand the logic here. Any change on the part of the customer alters their ability to predict a delivery date. Full stop. The degree to which it alters may differ - e.g. white exterior / black interior probably least impactful since it's the most common config ordered. But it's not zero impact. For some geographies it could change a smaller queue that's in it quite drastically.

No doubt their system is imperfect, but if you really think through the problem, you'll start to appreciate the complexity.
I haven't made a single change since putting in my order. So what's causing them to alter their ability to predict a delivery date? They shouldn't pull up my EDD unless a VIN is assigned. Full stop. They have everyone's place in queue, so they should be able to assign a pretty accurate EDD based on production output. If people change orders or place on hold, other's place in line should only move up sooner, not later. If Tesla were more accurate and flexible with their VIN to delivery system, I bet less people would put their orders on hold --as well as a higher deposit per your suggestion. If customers do place holds/delay, they get bumped to the back of their config build queue. But even then, they can be conservative with their output (under promise, over deliver) and EDD, they should know what their output is based on available inventory and supply.

I haven't made a single change since putting in my order. So what's causing them to alter their ability to predict a delivery date? They shouldn't pull up my EDD unless a VIN is assigned. Full stop. They have everyone's place in queue, so they should be able to assign a pretty accurate EDD based on production output. If people change orders or place on hold, other's place in line should only move up sooner, not later. If Tesla were more accurate and flexible with their VIN to delivery system, I bet less people would put their orders on hold --as well as a higher deposit per your suggestion. If customers do place holds/delay, they get bumped to the back of their config build queue. But even then, they can be conservative with their output (under promise, over deliver) and EDD, they should know what their output is based on available inventory and supply.
All the other people in the queue with you affect the date.

I think putting more friction for changes, and more $$$$ up front, would improve predictability. Whether it causes more customer sat than less overall would need to be something they consider.