Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How was the experience? I pick my Y in Lynnwood on Tuesday. Did it have the new AMD chip?
Excellent experience! I worked with Kimberly in person and she was so nice, really patient and answered all of our questions without ever feeling rushed. The car was immaculate, but needs one minor cosmetic issue fixed which mobile service can handle. Yes, I have the Ryzen MCU and she confirmed the newer Li-ion battery also (as well as the “old” UI which is fine by me).

Excellent experience! I worked with Kimberly in person and she was so nice, really patient and answered all of our questions without ever feeling rushed. The car was immaculate, but needs one minor cosmetic issue fixed which mobile service can handle. Yes, I have the Ryzen MCU and she confirmed the newer Li-ion battery also (as well as the “old” UI which is fine by me).
Man i miss V10 UI..
congrats!

Anyone knows how much the car registration costs in WA? I’m moving there this week and heard someone saying around $850 for their MY which I think it’s outrageous. I didn’t get a renewal for my current MY since i got plates in July but I’ve been told around $600. Thanks

Anyone knows how much the car registration costs in WA? I’m moving there this week and heard someone saying around $850 for their MY which I think it’s outrageous. I didn’t get a renewal for my current MY since i got plates in July but I’ve been told around $600. Thanks
I find it ironic a CA transplant would even bat an eye at WA taxes of any type...

Moving on, Tooleman had it right. If you're within the RTA boundaries, annual vehicle tab renewal is a lot more expensive than if you are not so the answer is "it depends".

If you're old, and have been here awhile, the RTA boundary tax is more analogous to how it was before a local clown who goes by the name of "Tim Eyman" put forth a citizens initiative that forced the state to lower the fee to $30/year. That got struck down but it permanently lowered renewal fees here, absent the RTA specific areas where more is collected.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you pay sales tax based on delivery location. Anyone know in the Seattle area where the lowest tax location to take delivery?
I think they will only deliver to a location that is your address or one of their locations. Lynnwood, Bellevue and Renton are all in RTA locations so no love there. If you have an address in Pierce County non RTA you would be at 8% sales tax and avoid RTA fees. That is probably your best bet in the south sound. North side you would have to go to unincorporated Snohomish county in a non RTA area to get 7.8%.

I think they will only deliver to a location that is your address or one of their locations. Lynnwood, Bellevue and Renton are all in RTA locations so no love there. If you have an address in Pierce County non RTA you would be at 8% sales tax and avoid RTA fees. That is probably your best bet in the south sound. North side you would have to go to unincorporated Snohomish county in a non RTA area to get 7.8%.
I think you're mixing two concepts - licensing fees and sales tax. If you live in a non-RTA zone, the licensing fees will get collected when purchasing at a dealer inside the RTA zone, but it will get refunded back later. Sales tax is where you take delivery.

Reactions: Obiwanjr