Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Supercharger - WARNING - Now issuing £100 parking fines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is what I thought. there are minimum signage requirements for parking fines. Surely there must be some somewhere. they cant be that dumb to think they can fine people without even warning them??

Just thinking out loud, but it’s going to be difficult to prove signs weren’t there at the time. It would never occur to me to take a photo under normal circumstances. I’m not saying their tactics are in any way okay, but just tricky to challenge.

I’m confused, please forgive me

So......have you got to register at hotel reception, in order to park up and charge your car? If the hotel were requiring this, surely that would imply that they own the apace at which the charger is situated, which again in turn beggars the question, was this not all discussed and terms agreed when Tesla installed the chargers themselves?

Sounds like there is an issue between hotel and Tesla. Possibly hotel is trying to vary some Ts&Cs and Tesla has told them to go ...so the hotel is getting awkward. I like the laminated sign idea. As you said can they remove it...let's find out. Anyone local?

I’m confused, please forgive me

So......have you got to register at hotel reception, in order to park up and charge your car? If the hotel were requiring this, surely that would imply that they own the apace at which the charger is situated, which again in turn beggars the question, was this not all discussed and terms agreed when Tesla installed the chargers themselves?

I would expect that the hotel does own the space and the arrangement with Tesla will be some sort of deal for low or free rental in return for the potential benefit of custom. Equally the Hotel will have a 'standard' arrangement with the Parking camera folk whereby all cars are checked but the hotel removes the licence numbers of parked customers - essentially parking validation. It'll just be a case of hotel using a poorly designed 3rd party system to prevent non-custom parking that just doesn't have a Teslas go free option. I've not been there but looking at maps it strikes me that unwanted parking there is highly unlikely so again it will be a deal across the whole hotel chain without thnking ahead for the charger cases here. There are other charger sites where one is supposed to go to hotel reception and tell them you're charging - so not unique. Tesla should install signs and Tesla drivers should just get into the habit of popping into receptions at any Hotel charger sites.

I'm intending to use Washington SuperCharger on Sunday (9th). I will volunteer to make up some signs - it will help me to remember to register at the hotel myself :rolleyes:. Although I also intend to have my tea there whilst I wait so isn't that the same place?
Amazing thank you! Would you be able to take a photo of any existing signage? As the hotel manager invited there was some being installed this week. It's one of the worst hotels in existence so you're better off going to the carvery over the road if its open for food.

I took a photo and have posted it in this thread that I started the day after this one which I didn't see beforehand:

Fines at Washington chargers

The signs are stuck on each of the chargers but they're not that noticeable. I only got lucky because when I came out of the loo, I mentioned I was just charging the car to the guy at reception and he then warned me I had to log my reg on the screen. He did me a favour as I would not have been happy to get a fine.

I agree it’s a pain. Of course it’s a money spinner for the hotel and the private contractor. But that’s life. It’s no hardship to stroll in and enter your details. However, it’s knowing you have to do this in the first place. If would be useful if Tesla could perhaps add a more noticeable marker on the nav in locations where this is in place.

• Disagree
Reactions: willparkinson
I agree it’s a pain. Of course it’s a money spinner for the hotel and the private contractor. But that’s life. It’s no hardship to stroll in and enter your details. However, it’s knowing you have to do this in the first place. If would be useful if Tesla could perhaps add a more noticeable marker on the nav in locations where this is in place.
I'm not sure we should be so accepting of this. I know EVs take longer to refuel than ICE vehicles (and hydrogen vehicles) but refuelling is why you are there. Someone else has mentioned, no one gets a parking fine for stopping their car to refuel at a petrol stations (even if they then used the attached shop to buy groceries) . It just feels wrong to me that Ev owners should be singled out.

What about a popup warning message on the screen when you plug in at these locations? That would be helpful

I charged there the other day and went into hotel reception to register free usage, which takes literally 10 secs. The guy on the desk informed that, if I use it regularly, then select option for overnight stay and select 90 days, so you don’t need to register again until 3 months down the line. Not defending the system, but sometimes you just have to roll with it

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Is charging the same as parking now? Would you need to register at reception to fill up your gas car?

Sometimes yes. Its becoming more popular for petrol stations have say 30 minute restrictions. Whilst filling up with petrol/diesel may be a quick, if you need to stop for longer, ie intend to do an accumulation of things whilst on site, or so something longer such as charge an EV (BP Chargemaster, Shell Recharge etc), then you need to check if you need to register as its not always expected or initially obvious.

Reactions: CMc1
Just another money making scheme. They could have limited it to 45 minutes or ignored Tesla pictures but they won't.
Legalised crooks who can access the DVLA records.
I beat the buggers twice now.
Once where they installed the cameras in a car park that used to be £1 for unlimited stay after 6pm then caught me out because the rules changed. I printed and sent in mitigation a whole wad of conflicting information from various web sites that they couldn't be bothered to read and cancelled the "fine".
Second time was a supermarket that required me to add the car reg to a box I didn't see anywhere. They cancelled that one when I proved I was shopping there.

Make it £20 or £30 and I would just pay it but £100 is just taking the pi$$ and more than many can afford or spend on food for a week.

Like gambling, the govermnment need to put a far lower limit on these "penalties".

Now knowing this, I'd go and register at the reception - but if I got a "fine" (it's not a fine) unwittingly, then I'd just ignore it. These parking organisations are thieves pure and simple. If they persist with a court hearing I can't imagine any court siding with them given that you were charging at a Tesla SuC.