TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Washington vehicle registration

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by drdui, Feb 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. drdui

drdui Member

I'm waiting for home delivery in Wenatchee scheduled for 2/27 @4:00PM. Rez: 9960. VIN: 4923.

I know several Washington owners are picking up their cars this weekend at Bellevue Square. I am curious how those deliveries have gone and if the vehicle had temporary plates for WA.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

My Roadster and Model S both came with "paper plates" that are taped in the back window, and good for 30 or 60 days or something like that.

Tesla should mail you the real plates before they expire. For me it was just barely; some have reported they arrived late. But fortunately not many people really check the expiration date on the paper plates.

If you want custom plates, you have to wait until after the real plates arrive to apply.

This may not apply over in Wenatchee, but if you are signed up for something like a Good To Go toll pass, you can register the paper plates, but of course you have to remember to change it when you get the real plates.

3. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

My plates arrived about 10 days before my paper reg was going to expire. I picked up my car at Seattle's Westlake service center on 12/11 and the paper reg expired on 1/25.

4. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

My car was delivered on 1/17 with a temporary paper plate good for 6 weeks. The real plates came in the mail 3 weeks later. I then ordered custom plates. They've cashed the check for those - we'll see how long until they arrive.

5. JackA

JackA Member

drdui: For sure let us know how your Wenatchee delivery goes. Is this posted by John B. by chance?

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Just paid my 2014 registration

WP_20140106_002.jpg

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. Big fan of the RTA tax. Pay 0.3% of the MSRP of the car forever regardless of how much the car is worth years from now.

8. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

We have a place and chelan, Washington. What our registration be cheaper if I registered it there instead of Seattle?

9. dsm363

Probably. Think the RTA doesn't apply there.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

11. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

ok, im in $0 for registering in Chelan!!!

2014-01-09_10-26-45.jpg 2014-01-09_10-26-03.jpg

12. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Why do we have to pay this? I don't recall having to pay this for any of my other vehicles. Is this just an EV thing?

13. dsm363

I think it is all vehicles. It is to pay for transportation projects like the street car. For the Roadster that means over $500 a year even if you never use it.

14. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Oh good then I'm exempt where I'm at then because I just looked at my tags for my other two vehicles and it's zero. Got a bit scared for a moment. That figure took me back about 15 years when we used to pay outrageous amounts for tags. And I'm sorry but this Rta tax seems a bit much! I know our roads need to be repaired. I get that. But the street cat. C'mon. Ok. Off soap box

15. dsm363

I agree with you. The tax in principal is fine but it is the brand new MSRP price of the car even ten years after you have the car I believe. It should at least be the estimate bluebook value of the car or some lower number each year.

16. JackA

JackA Member

EV Registrations by County

I know this is not exactly on topic but I found this map of EV registrations by county and thought it would be of interest to those in the counties subject to the transportation tax.

WA EV Registrations.jpg

17. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

Jack, do you know what constitutes an EV in that map? Plug-ins like Volt? Prius (probably not)?

18. JackA

JackA Member

This is plug-in electric only. Jack

19. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Geez, mine was $575 in Seattle.