TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wasn't AWD option supposed to be available last week? or is this delayed?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by plasmo, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. plasmo

plasmo Member

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

It's "available" but apparently they are only inviting people in small batches all over again. Seems silly way to do it, but this is what the general consensus states is happening. I think the end of quarter and 200k target looming, they are just trickling them out for now. Once July 1st hits, I think things will be opened much more. My hope anyway.

3. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

It's available for early line people

4. plasmo

plasmo Member

well, the option was "available" for a few minutes on my online profile a few days ago, but it disappeared. wasn't sure if this was a glitch or delayed.
    I was #30 in chicago line, and S and X owner so hopefully soon...

5. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

This is the most screwed up system. I have had my email to order since December and I have to wait again. The logic is baffling. So I can order a rear drive model, but not the AWD??? It is right there on the screen - just grayed out, letting me know that somehow, someday, it might be live. My wife is pretty much over Tesla even though she drives the S daily.

• Like x 1
  6. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

It's not even going into production until July. Chill

• Like x 1
  7. plasmo

plasmo Member

I hear ya... same here, the option has been there for a long time but just greyed out.

Interesting that if we put our $1000 into btc at that time, it would be worth $18,391 today.

8. plasmo

plasmo Member

Just as I type this, I got the email telling me to order!

Dd7CQ9hVAAAadLu.jpg

• Like x 6
  9. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

Thanks for giving me hope. I will be fanatically checking my email and Tesla account until I can order my Model 3.

10. AviP

AviP Member

I'm a line waiter and it's available for me. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for SR AWD. But I'm curious why you need AWD in SoCal.

11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

WTR AWD. My experience with our car and loaners is that AWD significantly helps the handling.

• Like x 2
  12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Well, the AWD version of the Model S has significantly longer highway range (much more than what is stated in the official specs) than the RWD version.

13. Krash

Krash Data Technician

That is because the S has a newer drive unit in the front with range optimized gearing. The 3 already has the most optimized range motor in the back. Consider the front performance optimized induction motor for the 3 as just extra weight if you don't care about handling or performance. Likely Tesla reduced the RWD EPA rated range for this reason, so that the AWD can look the same when actually it is a little lower.

14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's all speculation at this point.

• Like x 1
  15. Krash

Krash Data Technician

True, but Musk said the front motor is induction and we know the EPA range numbers were understated. I think it more speculative to think that Tesla has a secret induction technology saved for the front that is more efficient than the PMSR in the back.

16. cella

cella Member

The AWD is also expected to have stronger regenerative braking, which may make up for the increased weight. It's all speculation at this point, but I think the real world range will be very similar overall.

• Like x 2
  17. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I will need to try an AWD 3. Every car that I have ever driven that has both AWD and RWD, the RWD handles curves better.

18. liuping

liuping Active Member

At least on the Model S, the D models handle better and accelerates faster.

The P85 was lost traction when you floored it and could start to fish tail. The AWD versions are much better at handling all that torque. And they are a blast on mountain windy roads. Also great for ski trips as well as much better handling when it actually does rain.

I would get the D version in a heart beat over the RWD version. Our Model 3 is RWD only because my wife really does not care, and did not want to wait when we got the invite back in December...

• Like x 1