Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wasn't AWD option supposed to be available last week? or is this delayed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's "available" but apparently they are only inviting people in small batches all over again. Seems silly way to do it, but this is what the general consensus states is happening. I think the end of quarter and 200k target looming, they are just trickling them out for now. Once July 1st hits, I think things will be opened much more. My hope anyway.

well, the option was "available" for a few minutes on my online profile a few days ago, but it disappeared. wasn't sure if this was a glitch or delayed.
I was #30 in chicago line, and S and X owner so hopefully soon...

This is the most screwed up system. I have had my email to order since December and I have to wait again. The logic is baffling. So I can order a rear drive model, but not the AWD??? It is right there on the screen - just grayed out, letting me know that somehow, someday, it might be live. My wife is pretty much over Tesla even though she drives the S daily.

Reactions: sigmo32
This is the most screwed up system. I have had my email to order since December and I have to wait again. The logic is baffling. So I can order a rear drive model, but not the AWD??? It is right there on the screen - just grayed out, letting me know that somehow, someday, it might be live. My wife is pretty much over Tesla even though she drives the S daily.
It's not even going into production until July. Chill

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just as I type this, I got the email telling me to order!

Dd7CQ9hVAAAadLu.jpg

Well, the AWD version of the Model S has significantly longer highway range (much more than what is stated in the official specs) than the RWD version.
That is because the S has a newer drive unit in the front with range optimized gearing. The 3 already has the most optimized range motor in the back. Consider the front performance optimized induction motor for the 3 as just extra weight if you don't care about handling or performance. Likely Tesla reduced the RWD EPA rated range for this reason, so that the AWD can look the same when actually it is a little lower.

That is because the S has a newer drive unit in the front with range optimized gearing. The 3 already has the most optimized range motor in the back. Consider the front performance optimized induction motor for the 3 as just extra weight if you don't care about handling or performance. Likely Tesla reduced the RWD EPA rated range for this reason, so that the AWD can look the same when actually it is a little lower.
That's all speculation at this point.

Reactions: preilly44
The AWD is also expected to have stronger regenerative braking, which may make up for the increased weight. It's all speculation at this point, but I think the real world range will be very similar overall.

I will need to try an AWD 3. Every car that I have ever driven that has both AWD and RWD, the RWD handles curves better.
At least on the Model S, the D models handle better and accelerates faster.

The P85 was lost traction when you floored it and could start to fish tail. The AWD versions are much better at handling all that torque. And they are a blast on mountain windy roads. Also great for ski trips as well as much better handling when it actually does rain.

I would get the D version in a heart beat over the RWD version. Our Model 3 is RWD only because my wife really does not care, and did not want to wait when we got the invite back in December...

Reactions: preilly44