Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch App for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone interested in Apple Watch apps I recently installed the ‘Watch App for Tesla’ after watching a nice review of this on the ‘Frugal Tesla Guy’ YouTube channel. He gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up and my experience so far is also very positive. It was easy to install and configure, although setting up the background image showing an avatar of your specific car model and colour etc takes a little more effort, but isn’t difficult. It gives you quick access to see car data (including battery charge) and control many basic car functions from the watch, without getting your phone out. I found it useful to open the front boot when walking back from shops for example. Anyone else tried this app?

For anyone interested in Apple Watch apps I recently installed the ‘Watch App for Tesla’ after watching a nice review of this on the ‘Frugal Tesla Guy’ YouTube channel. He gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up and my experience so far is also very positive. It was easy to install and configure, although setting up the background image showing an avatar of your specific car model and colour etc takes a little more effort, but isn’t difficult. It gives you quick access to see car data (including battery charge) and control many basic car functions from the watch, without getting your phone out. I found it useful to open the front boot when walking back from shops for example. Anyone else tried this app?
Yes, I watched the same YouTube video, and decided to give it a go. All seems to work fine, although I’ve not yet set up the background image!

I watched this - looks good. Would be great though if Tesla allowed an Apple Watch to be set up as an actual key.
Yes I was also hoping Tesla would provide an Apple Watch version of their phone App but so far not. Until they do, this App seems like a reasonable option. It will be good if the developer offers some additional configuration/customisation options in future but it is already nicely designed.

Bought this at the weekend to try it out and I’m getting a few % battery drain per day since then that I wasn’t seeing before. I think I have it set to do background refreshes every hour as I haven’t changed how it was set up on install. Do people turn that off and even if it is on, should that account for a few % drain?

There's a free option for sending requests through a combination of apple short cuts and a 3rd party API that takes the hard work out of waking up the car if needed. I don't have the watch buy have been using the shortcuts quite happily. I don't see any reason why the shortcuts can't be set to be available from a watch if they're not already.

When you turn it off, it has a time scale at the bottom underneath. Do you need to select the longest time ie 5 hours?
The time is for how frequently the app will try to update whilst in the background. I have mine set to 1 hour. This allows the complication on my watch to update every hour. However, with “allow wake in background “ disabled, it doesn’t wake the car to update.

Reactions: jfrancis
Set up Wear For Tesla on my phone/watch.

All works great on my Fossil, but have noticed that once I'd got it all working, the phone's Tesla app has stopped connecting to the car when on my home WiFi. Turn it off and go to 4G and it all connects again fine.

Very odd. Might try uninstalling the WFT app to see if that fixes it again.

Edit - Fixed. Restarted the phone just in case and when launching the Tesla app, I had a popup asking me to allow the app to use WiFi. Never seen that one before!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-01-17-12-32-506_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-01-17-12-32-506_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 88
Set up Wear For Tesla on my phone/watch.

All works great on my Fossil, but have noticed that once I'd got it all working, the phone's Tesla app has stopped connecting to the car when on my home WiFi. Turn it off and go to 4G and it all connects again fine.

Very odd. Might try uninstalling the WFT app to see if that fixes it again.

Edit - Fixed. Restarted the phone just in case and when launching the Tesla app, I had a popup asking me to allow the app to use WiFi. Never seen that one before!
I think you’re going a little off topic. Wear For Tesla (an Android Wear app) is a completely different beast to Watch App for Tesla (iOS / Watch app).

Reactions: Nick77