Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch out for poor quality Type 2 cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 10m Type 2 cable in advance of my M3 turning up.

Thought I'd plug it into my Pod Point, just to test out the fit and how much it'll stick out from the house when plugged in.

On unplugging, I luckily noticed that the plastic point from on of the pins in the cable's connector had snapped off and was now stuck inside one of the points inside the Pod Point connector.

I turned off the Pod Point at the RCD and managed to fish the plastic point out with some tweezers. If I hadn't noticed and tried to plug in again, the point would have been pushed in deep and I'd not have been able to get it out again.

Either this is a very fragile design, having clip in plastic points, or this particular cable make isn't great. Whichever, it's worth checking everything on your cable is nice and solid before you use it for the first time, I should have inspected mine more thoroughly.

Thank you, that is very useful.
As a warning to us, would you be able to share the make/model of the cable and where you got it from?

Yeah, I don't want to bad-mouth these guys, it came quickly and well packaged. I'll reach out to them today or tomorrow.
Could be they're all made like this and I just got unlucky? It's just worth knowing it can happen so you don't damage your charging points......
EV Public Charging Cable | Type 2 to Type 2 | 16/32 Amp | 3.6/7.2 kW | 5/10 Metre |

buy directly from Tesla service centre for about £250, but it should come with the car anyway

Yeah, I just needed a longer one :(