TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

watch out for rust

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Skivvy, May 25, 2020.

1. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

Make sure you keep an eye on your rear hatch. Discovered this the other day. I've got an appointment on 6/3. They better have a loaner while they fix all the little things in this car. I've got a laundry list haha. But, I do really love the car.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  2. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

That is ridiculous. What part of the car are we looking at?

3. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

Trunk hatch. I love the car and Tesla, but they need to learn how to paint a freaking car. Looking forward to stainless on the CT.

• Love x 1
  4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Wonder if the enviro regs that limit quality paint in Cali are causing this, or is it just poor paintmanship?

5. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

That's an excellent point, California probably has some crazy environmental rules regarding painting vehicles. I really just think it's poor craftsmanship. there's various issues all over the car that any autobody guy could see a mile away. But i knew this going in so i can't be too upset.

6. Young Phenom

Young Phenom Member

Almost looks like clay

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I thought it was turmeric. Maybe they sprinkle turmeric over the car for good luck, like they do at the Bhandara Festival

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  8. Scooby24

Scooby24 Member

Seeing as it appears to be under the rubber seal it's probably metal dust from manufacturing that got trapped under the seal and is rusting on the surface of the paint

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

If that's rust, it's definitely presenting oddly. Looks more like powder.

10. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

That's what I thought but it's definitely fused to the paint or body. I scraped it a little and it's definitely adhered

11. Scooby24

Scooby24 Member

In my experience rust from under the paint won't present like this. This is fast surface rust from something on top of the paint. Embedded iron or steel dust does adhere and stick to the paint. Removers like clay bars or chemical decon products like ironx are usually pretty effective at removing.

Under the paint rust takes a long time and doesn't break the surface like this. It bubbles and takes time and even if it is truly rising from underneath, you won't see it as rust. Just bubbles and after a good while it will then break through but doesn't present with the dusting you can see migrating across the surface.

• Like x 2
  12. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

You're right I didn't think of that. Rust usually happens under the paint with that bubbling effect.

13. ThomasD

ThomasD Member

That looks like flash rust. Moisture hitting bare metal Looks like little pieces of metal contaminated the paint and rusted.

• Informative x 1
  14. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Looks like you have the rubber siding pulled away. What tipped your off? Were you able to see it with the rubber installed? Makes me want to go remove all the rubber trim and look underneath.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Isn't the body Aluminum there? That looks like environmental contamination......

16. Skivvy

Skivvy Member

I could see it without removing the seal. I was just walking by taking pics of other things to have serviced and noticed. I pulled back the seal to get a better look

17. mac9899

mac9899 Member

Not necessarily a Cali issue, Just crappy paint shop, apparently even when it was the Numi factory, that plants PaintShop was shitty, not much has changed...

18. mac9899

mac9899 Member

The rear hatch seems to be the Model Y's problem spotlight. Between bad fitting, issues closing, and others, it just seems the model's problem child at this point.

19. JMar

JMar Member

#19 JMar, May 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020
    How do you like this gem, "Due to his outstanding performance as head of the paint shop in Fremont, Richard Miller is now promoted to the position of overall manager of Fremont production". This is from an email that went out to Tesla employees per the linked article. This is kind of old news but I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it. I definitely could have missed something but curious others' opinions on this.

• Like x 1
  20. jeffpaz

jeffpaz Member

what else is on the laundry list?