Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

watch out for rust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure you keep an eye on your rear hatch. Discovered this the other day. I've got an appointment on 6/3. They better have a loaner while they fix all the little things in this car. I've got a laundry list haha. But, I do really love the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_185816.jpg
    IMG_20200523_185816.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 869
  • Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and Matsayz
Wonder if the enviro regs that limit quality paint in Cali are causing this, or is it just poor paintmanship?
That's an excellent point, California probably has some crazy environmental rules regarding painting vehicles. I really just think it's poor craftsmanship. there's various issues all over the car that any autobody guy could see a mile away. But i knew this going in so i can't be too upset.

In my experience rust from under the paint won't present like this. This is fast surface rust from something on top of the paint. Embedded iron or steel dust does adhere and stick to the paint. Removers like clay bars or chemical decon products like ironx are usually pretty effective at removing.

Under the paint rust takes a long time and doesn't break the surface like this. It bubbles and takes time and even if it is truly rising from underneath, you won't see it as rust. Just bubbles and after a good while it will then break through but doesn't present with the dusting you can see migrating across the surface.

Reactions: jsight and mswlogo
In my experience rust from under the paint won't present like this. This is fast surface rust from something on top of the paint. Embedded iron or steel dust does adhere and stick to the paint. Removers like clay bars or chemical decon products like ironx are usually pretty effective at removing.

Under the paint rust takes a long time and doesn't break the surface like this. It bubbles and takes time and even if it is truly rising from underneath, you won't see it as rust. Just bubbles and after a good while it will then break through but doesn't present with the dusting you can see migrating across the surface.
You're right I didn't think of that. Rust usually happens under the paint with that bubbling effect.

That's an excellent point, California probably has some crazy environmental rules regarding painting vehicles. I really just think it's poor craftsmanship. there's various issues all over the car that any autobody guy could see a mile away. But i knew this going in so i can't be too upset.

Not necessarily a Cali issue, Just crappy paint shop, apparently even when it was the Numi factory, that plants PaintShop was shitty, not much has changed...

How do you like this gem, "Due to his outstanding performance as head of the paint shop in Fremont, Richard Miller is now promoted to the position of overall manager of Fremont production". This is from an email that went out to Tesla employees per the linked article. This is kind of old news but I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it. I definitely could have missed something but curious others' opinions on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mac9899