TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Watch out for solar panels!!!

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by m0rph, Dec 14, 2015.

1. m0rph

m0rph Member

2. Kbra

Kbra Member

That's why we need them. They help combat global warming by draining the suns energy. I mean, that's science. Duh

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Unreal. Thanks for sharing.

It kills me that people use the eyesore excuse against something that can save the world. I just can't get over that. People can save money and the planet by putting solar panels on their roof, but they don't like the way they look so they turn it down.

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Gee, I wonder. I can tell you nothing has been growing on my roof, and I have solar panels there....

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Wow, this is mind boggling. Do these people not do any research about this stuff, just uniformed mass hesteria.

6. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

C'mon, man!

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That report is a bit hard to believe, but hey, this is America, where a large percentage of the adult population thinks the earth is only a few thousand years old.
    Quote from the article: "A retired science teacher, Jane Mann, said she was concerned about the rising risk of cancer deaths in the area (despite reports showing that cancer rates in North Carolina have fallen over the 2008 to 2012 period) saying that no one could tell her that solar panels were not causing the cancer.
    She was also concerned that photosynthesis would slow due to the solar panels, stopping the plants from growing in the solar farm fields."
    I would not describe that woman as a "science teacher". And I feel sorry for all her students.

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

And the coal fired power plants in North Carolina do not cause any health problems, this piece was probably written by Duke Energy!

9. ww73

ww73 Member

They should just offer the town free electricity capped to a certain amount.

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

Well that is the only thing she was correct about. Plants don't grow well under solar panels.

It's bit like saying don't plant corn, because it prevents wheat from growing in the field. It's true, but not very useful information.

11. ecarfan

I'm pretty sure that "science teacher" was saying that plants in fields close to the solar panel arrays would suffer, not because the plants were beneath the panels but because they were near the panels.
    I really hope that article isn't true and that it's a practical joke of some kind. It's embarrassing to reside in the same country with such ignorance.

12. swaltner

swaltner Member

#12 swaltner, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Showed a friend, who asked if this web site was along the lines of The Onion, i.e. satirical news. Looking at some of the other items posted on their main page, I'm not certain. Hope this is just a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was true.

Found an article on snopes about this: North Carolina Town Rejects Solar Panels : snopes.com

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

In my regular news-crawling, I found it as front page material in the Melbourne, Australia, The Age.

It's terribly embarrassing.

14. caddieo

caddieo Member

Unfortunately, this manner of "thinking" also permeates the current political scene which reflects more on the voting population than it does on the candidates.

15. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

16. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

Haha! That is awesome.

17. ecarfan

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Never underestimate the ignorance of the American public. And I mean it. Just look at our politics. When I see stuff like this I wonder how it is that we found ourselves as the "world leader". It certainly wasn't because of these idiots. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, known for it's whackos. I literally saw a woman go to a county supervisor's meeting (our local governing body for those outside the US), wearing an aluminum foil hat and urging the Board to allow her to sue her neighbors because their radio waves were trespassing on her property.

I guess you have love a country that can still be successful with this stuff going on!

Though seriously, it pisses me off.

19. stevejust

stevejust Pati ≡nc ≡

20. Mookuh

Mookuh Member

That's really as far as you need to read that.
    All this said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that large scale windfarming has an impact on weather patterns and airflow on a regional or even global scale. The entire system is more sensitive than most people realise.