Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch out for thieves!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no "keyless master remote". Much more detail needs to be provided to understand what happened here.
I am not the owner of this vehicle. I own a Ring doorbell through which I have Ring Neighbors app. I saw a neighbor posted this so wanted to share it with you guys. I took a screenshot of the comments under this video so you could have more details but I still couldn't figure out how to post an image 🤦‍♂️

Screenshot_20220307-162759[12461].png

Seems much more likely that the car was already unlocked. The light flash could have merely been Sentry detecting someone near the car.

Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is the one to be preferred. So unless there's more evidence, the car was unlocked.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
There is no "keyless master remote". I am not clicking on the video, and I am not very much into the fear mongoring that tends to go on in those "neighborhood" apps like nextdoor, or the ring app for same.

With that being said, there is no "keyless master remote" so either the car was unlocked, or the phone was close enough to the car to render the car unlocked, or the thieves had a signal repeater that boosts the signal of nearby devices (that is possible).

Seems much more likely that the car was already unlocked. The light flash could have merely been Sentry detecting someone near the car.

Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is the one to be preferred. So unless there's more evidence, the car was unlocked.
Owner says his sentry was not active at the time. Probably some kind of a repeater thieves were using and they unlocked the vehicle in my opinion.

...or the phone was close enough to the car to render the car unlocked...
My wife and I always use to leave our iPhones on the kitchen counter just inside the door from the carport. Model 3 is parked on the carport. Phones are about six feet away from the car with a wall in-between.

I was amazed to learn the phones were still close enough that the Model 3 wasn't locking. So, two things: we don't leave our phones on the kitchen counter any more and we now use PIN to drive (so that if we accidentally do leave our phones on the kitchen counter no one can jump in the Model 3 and drive away).

I find that my car locks when I'm not all that far away from it, before I even get to the front door, and that it won't unlock if the phone is in my back pocket. It has to be close to the car with no obstruction to unlock. Maybe it is weak bluetooth? IDK but it has its advantages this way.