Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Watch Out Tesla, There’s a Tough Road Ahead in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a sponsored post from Autozin, an online marketplace for cars.

As was evident on the December 2017 U.S. electric car sales reports, Tesla may face an intense rivalry this year. Despite the fact that Tesla has been a sensation in the automotive industry with its electric luxury sedan, failing to achieve the planned production rate has become a huge setback for the new Model 3. Consequently, Tesla’s strong fan base could be seen shifting towards its rivals, ultimately letting them achieve quite good sales numbers in the market.

Still, Tesla’s Model 3 has many admirers, so Autozin.com would like to offer some analysis of Tesla’s Model 3.

Price and Availability:

The Model 3 has been considered one of the the most affordable electric cars with a price starting at $35,000. “You will not be able to buy a better car for $35,000, even without any options,” is what Tesla CEO Elon Musk says. UK will have to wait, as the price for Model 3 is still not announced.

Both U.S. and UK customers can also factor in EV grants that will bring down the price.

Specs:

The Model 3, despite being less expensive, offers a range of 220 miles. On top of that, it takes 5.6 seconds to go 0-60 mph. The standard battery variant of Model 3 has a top speed of 130 mph. On the other hand, the long range battery variant has a little higher top speed of 140 mph.

A front luggage compartment and traditional boot are designed to provide more space than any other gasoline car possessing identical outer measurements.

Interior:

Tesla has also successfully made the interiors of the Models 3 promising. Here is a quick look on the interior features of Tesla Model 3.

Instead of an instrument cluster, the car contains a large 15-inches touchscreen display located in the middle where the driver can see all necessary readouts.

Tesla has also embedded the self-driving Autopilot hardware functionality for the Model 3.

Neck and Neck Competition in 2018

Success doesn’t come without hurdles, such is the case with Tesla’s Models 3. Although Tesla has been able to gain sound popularity, slow Model 3 production has frustrated eager EV buyers. For this reason, Tesla will face greater competition in 2018.

Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevrolet Bolt

Screen-Shot-2018-01-17-at-10.37.15-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2018-01-17-at-10.16.30-AM.png

Tesla Model S vs. Fisker eMotion

26168916_1753450598296123_7773421235962012632_n.jpg
The Tesla Model S may also get tough competition from Fisker. Fisker’s new EMotion sedan boasts 400 miles of battery range and stylish gullwing-style doors, features that may attract would-be Model S buyers. The EMotion is available for order, but won’t go into production until 2019. That may be soon enough for EV shoppers to wait.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-18-at-10.39.39-AM.png
It’s undeniable that Tesla will soon face tough competition from other EV models like the Chevy Bolt and Fisker EMotion. Nevertheless, Tesla’s strong fan base will help the company continue to grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until there's even one other AWD BEV on the market, there's no competition for my car dollar. Every now and then I think "am I willing to live without AWD"? Then I look out my window on a snowy day and watch the FWD cars struggling (and sometimes failing) to get up the hill and the Subarus confidently cruising along on the exact same road, and I answer myself "no".

Reactions: IdaX
Until there's even one other AWD BEV on the market, there's no competition for my car dollar. Every now and then I think "am I willing to live without AWD"? Then I look out my window on a snowy day and watch the FWD cars struggling (and sometimes failing) to get up the hill and the Subarus confidently cruising along on the exact same road, and I answer myself "no".
Last time it snowed around here I took my RWD BMW with snow tires and left the AWD Tesla at home.

Reactions: R.S and jkn
Are you joking ?
Fisker ? - it's the greatest vaporware, borderline scam ever. They claim to have some new, unproven battery technology that nobody else has, and always lots of hype. The only thing they actually manage to achieve in the past years are those selv-burning cars that went up in smoke randomly, nothing but bragging and big words since then.
you cannot compare any existing product to those claims/lies.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and EinSV
Bolt does not have supercharger network. So it loses competition. Fisker cannot even produce significant number of cars.

Tires are more important than AWD. Note that while AWD accelerates faster than RWD, it does not stop any faster.

Last time it snowed around here I took my RWD BMW with snow tires and left the AWD Tesla at home.
Oh sure, it's well known that if you have to choose snow tires or AWD, you're on-the-balance better off with the snow tires. But of course it's a false dichotomy, you can have both if you want (and I have in the past). I know my local conditions; for me, AWD with all-seasons is adequate, year-round. FWD (or RWD I imagine) isn't. That said, I'm seriously considering adding snow tires next winter, which if I do will unquestionably be the best setup.

Edit to add: you don't have summer tires on the AWD Tesla by any chance? Because AWD with summers is worse than anything other than 2WD with summers.

Bolt does not have supercharger network. So it loses competition. Fisker cannot even produce significant number of cars.

Tires are more important than AWD. Note that while AWD accelerates faster than RWD, it does not stop any faster.

Which of these "competitors" that Tesla needs to "watch out" for offer accessibility to a nationwide high speed charging network? Answer: NONE. A long range BEV without a rapid charging network to support it is like putting up solar PV in the shade.

The vast majority of people don't need a national super charger network so it become irrelevant for over 80-95% of drivers. Over 90% of people drive less than 100miles a day.

Reactions: gowthamn
The vast majority of people don't need a national super charger network so it become irrelevant for over 80-95% of drivers. Over 90% of people drive less than 100miles a day.
People buy car, so that they can go where they want when they want. EV without supercharging does not give that freedom. It can only be 2. car. For that it must be cheap.

No people buy a car because they need to get to work and their kids to school. Again, the vast majority of people will never need a supercharge network. Last I read something like 10% of miles driven in Tesla were Supercharge miles, so again, the vast majority of people have no need for a nation wide network.

No people buy a car because they need to get to work and their kids to school. Again, the vast majority of people will never need a supercharge network. Last I read something like 10% of miles driven in Tesla were Supercharge miles, so again, the vast majority of people have no need for a nation wide network.
They also want to visit relatives and make holiday trips. Leaf is good enough for daily usage for most people. It has been years on market. Roughly as many Leafs have been sold as Teslas. Much cheaper car should have sold many times more.

95% of my car use is <100 miles per day.

Occasionally though I need to visit family or airport etc.

300 miles range and superchargers means I can do this without fuss or range anxiety or excessive planning for charging or another car.
Otherwise I need second car.

This is why superchargers are important for much more than regular long range travellers.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and jgs
The vast majority of people don't need pickup trucks either.

For daily use, that’s true. But I suspect many people would like the option to go on longer trips. And the supercharger network makes it possible without too much compromise.

Reactions: jgs

Sorry but I think you are wrong. May be that is correct for you, but a supercharge network is very impotrtant even if you use it only for 10 % of charging!

Reactions: jgs
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a sponsored post from Autozin, an online marketplace for cars. As was evident on the December 2017 U.S. electric car sales reports, Tesla may face an intense rivalry this year. Despite the fact that Tesla has been a sensation in the automotive industry with its electric luxury sedan, failing to achieve...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/01/18/watch-out-tesla-theres-a-tough-road-ahead-in-2018/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

There is no competition for Tesla in 2018, may be in late 2019....