Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, disabling Passive Entry will not defeat the fob cloning attack:
Cryp·tomer on Twitter
Let's make this clear: disabling passive keyless entry on your Tesla *will not* prevent our attack. If you want to secure your car you must enable the 'pin to drive' option.
The car will still be polling fobs for the "Walk Away Door Lock" function and to check whether a fob is inside or outside the car.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Speaking for myself I haven't found Pin-to-Drive any bother at all. Been using it for a week or so, and dinning-out on friends sniggering and saying "Has it been stolen yet" and I reply "Nah, Tesla already shipped a fix OTA ... expect you've had one too for your Brand-Y?" Hehehe ... all good stuff :)

• Funny
Reactions: cizUK
Yes, the PIN is surprisingly convenient. I thought it would be a nuisance but it's actually no problem at all.

The main thing is "herd immunity". Once enough people start using PINs, the thieves will stop targeting Teslas completely, because it's a lot of risk for them with uncertain results.
Just reading up on a few things here in 2021. Have to tip my hat towards ShockOnT for using the term ‘herd immunity‘ back in 2018! Ha ha! You were way ahead of the curve there weren’t you? I bet people were googling it when they read it back then.