Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta Work Wonders In A Slew Of Edge Cases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
It’s dark, there’s traffic, pedestrians, double-parked cars, oncoming cars, you name it. Tesla FSD impresses here.

Warning. The embedded tweet below contains a word that’s NSFW. However, that certainly wasn’t enough to keep us from sharing this highly impressive Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta video. It’s one of many clips put together by beta tester Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) to show the technologies ins and outs.

If you follow Whole Mars Catalog, you’re likely aware that he’s a huge Tesla fan and promoter. With that said, he has been clear that while Tesla’s FSD Beta semi-autonomous driving assistant has proven it can pilot with zero interventions in some cases, that’s not always the case. Beta testers must remain aware and engaged in case the system fails.

We’ll go back to our earlier suggestion that driving a Tesla with FSD is a bit like teaching a...

Continue reading...

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Very impressive. I love driving, but this looks like the car is making very competent decisions - in situations where most people don't love driving. I know others seem to be a tad dismissive, but when I was teaching my kids to drive, it was a long time into the process before they were let loose into those quite complex conditions. I am personally aware of several human drivers who would find the sensory overload of that environment... challenging. And then they get easily distracted by other stuff within the car.

Yeah it's not even that busy..

Hard to call pedestrians crossing the street or parked cars edge cases.
From reading the comments on Twitter there are many people who view that drive as crazy. I imagine if all you drive are quiet country roads, small towns, and wide open highways it would seem intense. The sped-up effect and distracting music probably makes it look worse too for those types of people. If you drive major cities then this is 'normal'.

Perhaps that's a good use of an FSD vehicle, helping timid people survive driving in a metropolis.

While it is great to see FSD Beta progress the 2x speed tends to mask a lot of the unnatural hesitant and jerky moves that irritate/confuse others and make it look more dramatic than it is.

Again I'm genuinely impressed and intrigued with the dynamic progress of FSD Beta and I watch every one that shows up in my YouTube feed. I just don't see anything about this one that warrants its own thread or News article over the dozens of others released using 8.2.

Also I struggle to watch Whole Mars' FSD Beta videos because I very much dislike the generic techno music and the constant 2x speed and "monotone" style.

I think some of the best, most creative, well narated, situations and overall informative videos happen to be made by people who visit this forum.

A big shootout to:

Chazman92​

Frenchie​

DirtyTesla​

Last edited:
I think it's pretty impressive overall. Yes the jerky movements of the steering wheel are anxiety provoking, AP1 didn't have these kind of jerky movements, if they can work on those even for current AP 2.0/2.5/3.0 it would certainly reduce anxiety.

Would it see this rooster as a person and stop
1624417881669.png

Would it see this rooster as a person and stop
View attachment 676478
As it's using the crosswalk it would be safer to stop for it there rather than if it was randomly crossing somewhere else. Even more so if it had pecked the crosswalk button beforehand. Other than being nice not to run it over it's usually not legally mandatory to stop for wildlife if doing so is going to be a hazard to other road users - say at a blind corner or hill. Would a FSD system consider a small moving object as something to avoid? I would hope they could - it might be a pet, and likely a human is running very close behind it. Whether a FSD system would detect it and stop, I guess that's up to the capability and programming. TBD.

In a general answer to your question, I doubt it would see the rooster as a PERSON though.

I love what they're doing, but just can't emagine level 4/5 for quite some time. I don't understand how the car will ever understand a guy hanging off the back of a garbage truck on a two lane road, waving it around. Just one of a bazillion circumstances that arise daily. Personally, I'm not in a hurry for full autonomy and will enjoy the progress in the meantime.

Reactions: rxlawdude