Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch Tesla Model 3 Navigate On Autopilot: New UI Images + Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Approaching full autonomy on highways.

Tesla released a few new images of the Tesla Model 3‘s Navigate on Autopilot UI that shows us how it looks when the car drives in a mode that combines Autopilot with navigation.

It’s the first time a manufacturer introduced a feature that enables the car (in Max mode) to do route-based lane changes or speed-based lane changes and take its own exit off the highway.

On the top of this post, you can find an extended demonstration video from one of the Model 3 users.

Turn by Turn Direction List UI

Turn-by-Turn-Direction-List-UI.jpg
Nav on AP on UI

Nav-on-AP-on-UI.jpg
Situational awareness UI

Situational-awareness-UI.jpg
Confirm lane change UI

Confirm-lane-change-UI.jpg
Cannot change lanes UI

Cannot-change-lanes-UI.jpg
Nav on AP Ending UI

Nav-on-AP-Ending-UI.jpg

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts after putting on a couple hundred miles over the weekend in Chicagoland highways.

I'm now a left lane parker. :-( The software should say, 'hey, there's no traffic in the right lane so you should move back over there'. Particularly embarrassing to get passed on the right (see original video, 4:36). Not getting to the right after passing is illegal in Illinois. And less safe, of course.

Also, it's illegal to pass on the right as a primary option, but once when faced with two clear lane options, my car chose passing on the right.

'Construction zone detected - autopilot limited' was a great warning. The re-striping and such can be a catastrophe to a computer.

I'm pretty sure once it just changed lanes to exit before I acknowledged, though I was about half a second later in acknowledging, so I might have subliminally done it.

All in all it was pretty cool to 'sit through' all the driving I did. Maybe it was a boost of adrenaline over the experience, but when I arrived at each place I was less groggy / more alert. I'm hoping that's just because I wasn't having to constantly process everything little thing going on, but merely focus on the important things every few minutes.

I particularly love EAP in stop and go traffic. Normally the worse part of a drive, it's now a non-factor. Instead of tailgating to ensure no one cuts in, I'm a bit more tolerant of that because overall I'm not nearly stressed about being in the middle of it.

Unfortunately IF I bought this car for my wife, she would never use the autopilot feature. Its just too much work to keep track of all of that DOING, confirming, slowing down for no offramp lane etc. I drive an S with with AP-1 and even that, unless you are highly aware of the mode or lack thereof(mode confusion) you are in, you can get lost pretty quick if your a laymen to the process. This process in the vid on this M3 is way to complicated for the general public to ever adopt in my view point.

I see now why most people have trouble even understanding what I am doing with my AP-1 and don't want to know either.

They just want to drive and get there, gas, electric, auto pilot or no, come hell or high, they just want to get done the easiest way possible and these days the fastest way, real fast in fact. Safe might not be as important with what I am seeing out my windshield and rear view mirror. I get it now why people really don't care. I had to see this video to get why people are not just jumping on the bandwagon here. This is work.

Unfortunately IF I bought this car for my wife, she would never use the autopilot feature. Its just too much work to keep track of all of that DOING, confirming, slowing down for no offramp lane etc. I drive an S with with AP-1 and even that, unless you are highly aware of the mode or lack thereof(mode confusion) you are in, you can get lost pretty quick if your a laymen to the process. This process in the vid on this M3 is way to complicated for the general public to ever adopt in my view point.

I see now why most people have trouble even understanding what I am doing with my AP-1 and don't want to know either.

They just want to drive and get there, gas, electric, auto pilot or no, come hell or high, they just want to get done the easiest way possible and these days the fastest way, real fast in fact. Safe might not be as important with what I am seeing out my windshield and rear view mirror. I get it now why people really don't care. I had to see this video to get why people are not just jumping on the bandwagon here. This is work.

I drove 3/4 of a 550 mile trip with NoA and enjoyed watching the system work. Other than some lane change confirmations that were not needed at overpass exit and entrance lanes, I thought it worked fine.

My wife on the other hand, like yours, did not want any part of AutoSteer or NoA. Too much trouble keeping up with what the car is or is not doing. She will use TACC and likes that feature.

I think it comes down to whether a person is tech savvy or not. Tech savvy people love the EAP demonstrations and others are almost scared of it :)

I drove 3/4 of a 550 mile trip with NoA and enjoyed watching the system work. Other than some lane change confirmations that were not needed at overpass exit and entrance lanes, I thought it worked fine.

My wife on the other hand, like yours, did not want any part of AutoSteer or NoA. Too much trouble keeping up with what the car is or is not doing. She will use TACC and likes that feature.

I think it comes down to whether a person is tech savvy or not. Tech savvy people love the EAP demonstrations and others are almost scared of it :)

Thats it exactly, you have to know about it to appreciate it. I know way too much and appreciate the heck out of it. Not all, not many, few in fact live in this space, we live in.

Its about getting there, get there now and skip the rest of this .... and move along with life. I'm half-way there myself and moving into that category faster by the day as I get older. In fact the only people slowing me down are the people who pull in front of my car, they have more control of what is happening then I do or my car does. None of what I am saying is Gender specific either. Women and men can be equally into it or out of it depending on the interest and more then likely the knowledge and patience to activate any of these great features.

My thoughts after putting on a couple hundred miles over the weekend in Chicagoland highways.

I'm now a left lane parker. :-( The software should say, 'hey, there's no traffic in the right lane so you should move back over there'. Particularly embarrassing to get passed on the right (see original video, 4:36). Not getting to the right after passing is illegal in Illinois. And less safe, of course.
Share the sentiment. Driving like that here in the UK would land me in a very hot water with the police. When there is no traffic in the right lane the autopilot should recognize that and sugest a line change.

After you passed the truck early in the video, both you and the white car our in front sat in the left lane. Any reason why? I know EAP doesn't suggest lane changes, but if you signal right, it will go back to the right lane (where you belong when you're not passing).