TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Watch Tesla Model S take off like a jet.

Discussion in 'Video' started by allanb4me, Feb 26, 2013.

1. allanb4me

allanb4me Member

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Goodbye! I love the responses from the driver. I'll bet he'll be a future Tesla owner.

3. yngwie_2012

yngwie_2012 Member

its insane. Rocketstar :)

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha awesome... Not so awesome is the half a battery used haha

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

why do some folks have an instinct to chase Teslas and film them

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Because it's badass...

7. cdabel

cdabel Member

Wash those Teslas. Represent!

8. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

Amazing acceleration (although maybe not so smart under these conditions, with poor visibility).

The brake lights keep confusing me. It looks like the driver brakes after a few hundred yards, but I guess he simply lets go of the accelerator and regenerative braking activates the brake lights (because of the powerful deceleration). I don't know if I want my brake lights to light up every time I let go of the accelerator at high speeds. I wonder if Tesla will introduce a third regen option: no regen.

9. Zextraterrestrial

If you select to low regen you won't get brake lights. But when you hit 75-80 on a street like they were on, slowing down is good. just don't let all the way off the accel and you won't get the lights.

10. keys

keys Member

Fckn awesome :D. Can't wait for the 2.1s 0-60 Tesla super-supercar

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Or a foot switch that prevents the tail lights from coming on.

12. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

There's an accelerometer that controls the lights, so they'll only come on if deceleration is enough to require alerting drivers behind you. You can hit the Tesla logo at the top middle of your display, and on the picture of your car you can see when the brake lights shine. Just keep an eye on the road, too :)

I tried this and the brake lights shone only when deceleration was pretty hard. Letting up a little doesn't cause them to glow, so it's not just whenever regen is on at all.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's easier and safer to see the brake lights if you leave the rear view camera on. As long as the street lights aren't too bright you can see the ground light up red. Easier to see than those little graphics on the car avatar. And yes, it takes pretty strong regen braking before the lights come on. My impression is that the threshold is higher than the Roadster.

14. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

I usually see the brake lights come on at about 30kWh regen, give or take a few kWh depending on speed...

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'm very impressed with whatever logic they use for the brake light activation, no complaints at all. At first I thought they would light too often, but they entirely replicate, in my view, when the brake lights would shine in a regular ICE. My wife followed me to the office, a 15 mile drive in traffic, and she said there was nothing weird or unusual at all.

16. Soflason

Soflason Member

17. Shock

Shock Member

Been trying to figure it out myself, and I'm voting for accelerometer. Going down a steep hill with max regen does not turn the brake lights on, so I'm thinking it's not tied to regen. By the "feel" and watching the brake lights they come on I'm convinced it's based on negative g-force (accelerometer). Hey, my cell phone knows when I bring it down from my ear to turn the screen on. How hard would it be to use that method in a car?

18. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I was thinking the same thing. That acceleration is amazing, it surprised me just watching it.

19. olanmills

olanmills Member

#19 olanmills, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Cel phones use a different method, an infrared sensor or something. You can try it by laying your phone on a flat surface and hovering your hand above it.

Anyways, yeah, the Model S brake lights work fine, great even. They only come on when you're slowing at a significant enough rate, or whenever you press the brake pedal.

20. byt

byt Member