TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

watch your power meter after fitting a [email protected]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JoeG57, Dec 6, 2020.

1. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

OK have called Tesla Nevada for help sent last 4 power bills and Pics of Net power meter Import and Export totals @ 0600 and Mid day
    The person looked at the power wall and the totals and said this is insane, our Tech nerds will have a look when they come in on day shift (US time)
    Also coppied my installer who still insists its the dumb Net meter
    So will give it a few days on 100% reserve so PW2 is only monitoring for black outs and not charging or discharging and send pics daily for 0600 and 1600hrs
    see what they come up with

2. paulp

paulp Active Member

Its going to be one of them.
    Don’t be shocked if tesla say there is no fault found. It’s likely to work perfectly immediately after that.

3. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Sadly I feel you could be correct.
    However I'm the bunny with the bill and untill proved incorrect and blame aportioned I'm the one paying it (then passing liability to the installer, who is then going to claim mitigating circumstances)
    I have faithe in Battery back up and time shifting of load so will ultimatly be happy with the result (as long as the meter tells the trouth)
    so far Origin states the meter is correct prove it wrong at your cost
    Also it is interesting my installer feels it can only be the meter as all his other instalations are on "smart net meters" not a dumb manualy read one like mine.
    The jurney continues
    So moral of the story Don't rely on pretty pictures your phone and pc shine in your face ... Read the meter reguarly it is the money god

4. paulp

paulp Active Member

My meter is a dumb import export meter also. I read it and the app on the last day of every month, and chart the results in xcel. I can then compare results to previous years and make informed decisions on any growth of my system.
    The fact that you are not exporting at night when your tesla system is set to 100% backup suggests strongly to me that there is nothing wrong with your retailer meter.

5. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Yesterdays meter readings
    Import 128kWh
    Export 343 kWh (with 1 kWh over night)
    This is for a 7.5 kW ssytem
    Gateway circuit breaker open and dead

6. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Progress: now have a account manager who has requested the meter test and subject to Chrismas hold ups should have some result by 2nd week January 2021
    have closed the breaker on the Gateway as still exporting around 300kWh daily (impressive!) .
    will leave PW2 on 100% and just log daily 0600/1800hrs billing Meter pics so as to have amo for the big fight!
    Need to get local member on the case next year as had remarkable resuts with a bill (in the 80's) by just a quick letter
    At least the Dept collectors are called off for a while

7. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

More Progress now have a issue manager with Tesla as well.
    Hopefully they will review their end and give feed back
    Still on 100% and Import 120+kWh export 300+kWh each day by net meter

8. paulp

paulp Active Member

What is your net meter? Is that the one your retailer reads?

9. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Yup got it in one
    They bill on net meter (not owned by Origin but network supplyer) so that is what i'm quoting
    Just set the PW2 to 90% which should give a net zero import will plot meter for a while and see if it changes
    Also i have noticed the red LED on the meter (which used to slowly flash) now flashes like a disco light regardles of PW2 setting

10. paulp

paulp Active Member

The other way you can narrow it down, is simply ask your electrician to isolate the entire pw2 installation. After that you will know if its a meter problem or a powerwall problem. Origin arent going to be a friendly negotiator on your bill if it isnt their fault.

11. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

How can a 7.5kW system export 300 kWh a day? I’m fairly sure the sun doesn’t shine 40+ hours a day.

12. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

When the excess bill arrived the installer disconnected and reconnected the PW2 and gatway and then reconnected as per standard install (not original tradie but buiness owner) he then said he stands bu hios work and will recompensate any costs (i had asked him if he would pay for the test)

13. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

With PW2 on 100% reserve import 125kWh and expoert 350kWh when Tesla and Enphase both show import 4.5kWh and export 35kWh
    With PW2 on 20% was getting import >300kWh and export 500kWh with Tesla and Enphase showing import 0kWh and export 20kWh
    going to revert to 30% for a while and plot

14. paulp

paulp Active Member

So if everything is disconnected and the pw2 installation effectively removed, and you are still exporting at night with it fully disconnected and removed, then you need to urgently report that to origin. Meters that export when they shouldn’t are a significant hazzard to line crews.

• Like x 1
  15. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Not Origin problem they do not own the meter or local grid
    They are only the billing entity.
    However 3 weeks ago the local grid was out for a pole replacement and a linesman came to every home with Solar or Battery fitted and pulled the line fuse befor work then came and refitted when work complete
    So the notification by installer to supply authority is valid and acted on
    Safe work practices observed

16. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Update
    Endevour Energy - network provider and meter owner just arrived opened the meter box and said "That meter is going nuts and will be replaced"
    However due to rain can't test today but will be back in the dry and give oficial test then organise replacement smart meter
    So don't stress they will probably asses usage on historic data

• Like x 2
  17. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

New Smart digital 3 phase meter is being installed 06/01/2021 (by Origin)
    No admission of fault but Meter tester said they would replace and prorata over previous period so lets hope he is correct

• Like x 2
  18. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Round 1 now completed new smart meter fitted 3 phase (2 phases in use )
    looks good so far as only showing export (mild) and Zero import.. now to monitor for a couple of days then contact Origin re getting data on the App as new meter is smart with a 4G transmitter to base.
    Hope we get mainly sunny days for the proving period so the period sinse last good meter read (June 2020) can be in my favour
    With the PW2 we can usually go for days befor import greater than 2 kWh and usually have export around 20 kWh

• Like x 1
  19. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Glad to hear things are settling down. Sounded very scary at the start.

20. JoeG57

JoeG57 Member

Yep round 1 to me now to win round 2 with "Origin Billing"
    And get the Origin App to show 15min delay load and Gen readings
    Can only hope it all works well
    Now have the PW2 set to 6% so should have 100% Solar with low to zero import