Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watched who killed electric car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This does belong in investment thread. Finally got around to watching it and amazing similarities to what is going on now. No demand, can't build, can't sell etc. zev credits, if no demand for ev than no need to pay them. Now seeing more hydrogen fuel cell articles just like initiative to get rid of ev1. It's like they are taking it from the same play book. Used to think it was presidential politics but realize now its other forces. Can buy video off amazon.

Also, "Revenge of the Electric Car" features Elon and the Roadster prominently.
Wow. Just watched. It explains a lot.

Cramers attitude toward tesla. It's his voice on the audio during the tesla ipo. Won't repeat what he says here but clearly he will and already needs to eat crow.

as a late comer to tesla, a year history for me, I had no idea what he had to go through to get to where he is now. I am sure just a small part of the story

Could GM have created a worse, more bizarre commercial for the EV-1? After watching the movie you can see why they created such a strange ad (guess they wanted no one to buy it)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really weird. There have been a lot of commercials in that style: "the electrical family coming together to celebrate a new member" or whatever.

The theme (unifying the electrical family) could've worked (maybe)... but the music, lighting (scary movie style), wind blowing, your appliances ganging up in a revolt to abandon your house, sharp editing, and eerie voiceover are choices that don't really make EVs appealing.

On the other hand, I think what Tesla has accomplished - from the sleek stores to Franz's elegant design have really done a wonderful job of making this new EV, the Model S, so appealing, even alluring.

After watching the movie, I guess there were forces within GM that didn't want to make e EV-1 a success.

Could GM have created a worse, more bizarre commercial for the EV-1? After watching the movie you can see why they created such a strange ad (guess they wanted no one to buy it)...

Yes. They not only were capable of it, they did it.

I have seen two EV-1 commercials. This is the better one! The other one is much creepier. It has the same lady voice asking "how can it go?" It is beyond bizarre. GM paid for "award winning commercials," and said they still could not sell the cars. The commercials may have won award(s) for their artistic creatitivity, but they don't look like they were designed to sell cars.

GSP

I've seen both movies. I would say there definitely needs to be a 3rd. "Revenge of the Electric Car" leaves you with an ending that seems like it is all downhill from there. But as we all know, when the Leaf and Volt showed up on the market, it was still quite a struggle. Everything from presidential politics, to down right ev-haters and naysayers. For a while there I was thinking the electric car was going to die again. But finally Tesla made it over the hump and I think Nissan did too.

@GSP - just watched the other EV1 commercial, completely agree. Too spooky to even post. Reminds me of when they made the tobacco companies fund anti-smoking campaigns on TV. You know the tobacco companies did everything they could to actually accomplish the opposite. No wonder Elon had produced "Thank You for Smoking" - very similar circumstances were afoot.

@GG - I've heard that too... can't wait for Part 3!! While I was looking up the other EV-1 commercial on youtube GSP mentioned, I was struck by an intriguing two-part "mini" documentary (both videos are less than 5 min long). Lots of interviews and even a few references and clips from "Who Killed the Electric Car" -- it's really ironic to see the many parallels there were between the EV-1 and the many electric cars that followed, including Tesla. Fascinating to see how the technology for this had been ready years back but the car companies were so unwilling to let go of their ICE business and move into the obvious future. If those ICE manufacturers continue this kind of paralysis and internal struggle against EVs, the coast is clear for Tesla to get a rather big head-start on all those who continue to take a wait-and-see approach. Forget about the tech advantage, there is a huge "corporate mindset" advantage Tesla will continue to own. To really believe in something, helps it evolve and improve at a far more rapid rate. This is yet another reason to be long on TSLA.

Included those two "mini-doc" videos below...