Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Salina Update

Last night I was in Salina area and actually stayed at the Holiday Inn. (Decent place, but food is really not walkable at this one.) The SC crew was working feverishly Friday, and look to be about ready for the concrete pour. The stations are right next to the hotel pool windows and they had better get out the parking cones though. The hotel was sold out ... :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_3455.jpg
    IMG_3455.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 821
Last night I was in Salina area and actually stayed at the Holiday Inn. (Decent place, but food is really not walkable at this one.) The SC crew was working feverishly Friday, and look to be about ready for the concrete pour. The stations are right next to the hotel pool windows and they had better get out the parking cones though. The hotel was sold out ... :cool:
Thanks for the update and pics!

Will it be possible to go from Limon to Silverthorne in the winter in an 85 or will a stop be required in Denver to make it up the mountains?

Well, in my opinion...maybe. From my home in south Denver it is 110 range miles to the Eisenhower tunnel, summer. You can hit the tunnel at zero miles, and coast down the ten miles to Silverthorne, but you have to make it to the tunnel. In winter the mountain climb can be over an average 500 wh/mi, with battery heating, snow tires (recommended), snow on the road and thus in wheel wells (big negative), and any headwind. Condtions can really vary up there. I wouldn't suggest the risk. Coming around the south side of Denver to the Lone Tree SC on E/C-470 is not that far of a detour (maybe 25 miles) on a better highway than I-70 through Denver. Leaving Lone Tree with 230 range miles would prepare to handle the worst. Plus the Park Meadows mall is steps from the SC's and can be a great relief after the trip westward through KS...
:cool:

Last edited:
Well, in my opinion...maybe. From my home in south Denver it is 110 range miles to the Eisenhower tunnel, summer. You can hit the tunnel at zero miles, and coast down the ten miles to Silverthorne, but you have to make it to the tunnel. In winter the mountain climb from can be over an average 500 wh/mi, with battery heating, snow tires (recommended), snow on the road and thus in wheel wells (big negative), and any headwind. Condtions can really vary up there. I wouldn't suggest the risk. Coming around the south side of Denver to the Lone Tree SC on E/C-470 is not that far of a detour (maybe 25 miles) on a better highway than I-70 through Denver. Leaving Lone Tree with 230 range miles would prepare to handle the worst. Plus the Park Meadows mall is steps from the SC's and can be a great relief after the trip eastward through KS...
:cool:

Thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was wondering from someone who lives out there and has driven it. I figure that from Limon you would hit Denver with about 145 to 150 miles of range left. I didn't know how much it would eat up your range driving up to the Eisenhower tunnel. I wouldn't want to chance having a 30 mile or so buffer going up mountains in cold weather. Thanks!

I'm driving to Columbia (from Springfield area) on Sunday, would have loved to drive the Model S, but without a SuperCharger, there's just no practical way to do that without a prolonged RV park stop and I don't know of anyone with a HPWC in the area even to allow for a moderate delay in my return trip. Really want to see the KC/Columbia/STL chargers in ASAP. But in the next year I would propose also to have them in Waynesville/Fort Leonard Wood and Joplin allowing the I-44 corridor to open to full speed interstate driving year around.

Now that eastern Colorado and most of Kansas are in place, all eyes are on Topeka for the next link in the chain. Reports on the Topeka supercharger thread indicate a likely location on the north end of Wanamaker near I-70, likely between 6th and 10th at one of the hotels or shopping centers in that area. I didn't spot any surveying or construction progress in early June when I was there. Anyone else have a chance to stop by and take a look this month?

The new "Coming Soon" page on TeslaMotors.com now shows Topeka is on there, so they keep rolling eastward across Kansas on I-70. Indianapolis is on there as well. With that and the Dayton site that we know is in the permit stage, I-70 is really starting to fill in. Just wish Columbia and Independence would show up soon.

The new "Coming Soon" page on TeslaMotors.com now shows Topeka is on there, so they keep rolling eastward across Kansas on I-70. Indianapolis is on there as well. With that and the Dayton site that we know is in the permit stage, I-70 is really starting to fill in. Just wish Columbia and Independence would show up soon.

I notice also the subtle "overlay" dot in Denver NW of the existing Lone Tree location, as "Coming Soon". (maybe that dot has been there idk) .... Somewhere ...

Getting interesting around here.... ( I-25 south to Albuquerque area, too! )

I notice also the subtle "overlay" dot in Denver NW of the existing Lone Tree location, as "Coming Soon". (maybe that dot has been there idk) .... Somewhere ...

Getting interesting around here.... ( I-25 south to Albuquerque area, too! )

I'm telling you, the Hampton Inn in Golden is in a perfect location, and with the red dot resolution, is quite plausible!

Yep. Agreed. If there is a pattern, it seems to be food/beds/food/beds.., repeat along I-70. Beds in Golden is the best place indeed. Boulder owners could do Grand Lake and back with ease if Golden is reality. We all could do a really nice (summer) round trip through Rocky Mountain National Park via CO93 - I70 - US40 - US34/36. More great possibilities!

Hampton Inn & Suites - Country Club Plaza, 4600 Summit, Kansas City, MO 64112 has made available to registered guests two Clipper Creek HCS-60 Level 2 chargers with J1772 connectors. These chargers are rated at 48 amps or 11 kW. The chargers are located on the 1st level of the parking structure nearest to the elevators.

is it me or have things suddenly gone silent around i70? Topeka? Blue Springs? Columbia? Where did the Salina crew go? Does anybody have any news?

I agree. Not much happening.

Topeka is on the "coming soon" map, but as we have seen, the Tesla Supercharger Map is, at best, a very fuzzy view of the future. Let's hope there are some surprises coming...

In another thread, someone said the Salina crew is the one currently working in St. George, Utah.

That info started with me. I spoke to the Salina crew when they were finishing up that site. They told me then that their next job was St George.

Remember that these crews are not Tesla employees, but are independent contractors. Tesla has a very complete set of plans for each Supercharger and puts the jobs out for bid with several contractors. Like any construction job, once a contractor has experience with building a Supercharger or two, they become more efficient and can bid future jobs at lower prices.

The final testing is done by Tesla employees, but most of the construction is by independent contractors.