Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed a trip from Michigan to California in my Model S85. I did not want to take the northern supercharger route Wisconsin, South Dakota, etc. in mid-January. I used superchargers from St. Joe, MI to Springfield, IL. The next supercharger is in Topeka, KS approx. 400 miles from Springfield, IL. There are 2 public chargers (Chargepoint card required, but free) in Columbus, MO that is half way between Springfield and Topeka. The Stoney Creek Hotel is a 1/4 mile from the chargers. A nice hotel stay and an overnight charge and I was on my way to Topeka in the morning. From Topeka to LA was dream, plenty of superchargers allowed me to travel the speed limit or (ahem slightly above) for the remainder of the trip.
Benton Harbor, MI to Manhattan Beach, CA. Four and one-half days and 2300 miles all electric.
Looking forward to some SC's in Missouri soon.
Great update and good info! How busy were the SCs in the Kansas and westward sections of the route?

Great update and good info! How busy were the SCs in the Kansas and westward sections of the route?
SC's in Kansas were all vacant when i was there. Colorado and Utah SC's were 25% occupied, with the exception of St. George, UT. 4 stalls at St Geo all full including myself. I met some nice people here, my Illinois license plates always got a conversation going. California SC"s were generally 50% occupied.

I never had to wait for an empty stall.

Wow. The Independence location went up fast! I was by that exact lot not that long ago and there was nothing, other than pavement. Yay! Not the most important location for me, but makes it all feel a little more real, because I can drive by and see it.

Very little progress this week at the St Charles SC. Probably still a couple weeks away from being finished.

Am a but concerned that it will experience a lot of ICEing. The parking lot was packed today with cars actually parking sideways in front of the work area for the SC.

No kidding! This is getting ridiculous.
I'm impatient for I-44 to be built out, but the delays for I-70 just are crazy. So hard to comprehend the prioritization.
I don't know why they can't find anyone in Columbia to accept an SC, but if they can't, Independence and St. Charles are close enough together that they could put one in Boonville instead. Columbia is the better location, but at the moment I expect people would happily trade 'ideal' for 'available now'.

NOT wanting to spread any misinformation, but just sharing a comment from one of the repair guys, Pat, from St. Louis service when he returned my car yesterday after it's 50k service. I was asking him about the opening of the St.Charles SuperCharger and if he thought it would be open by today (Friday). He didn't seem to know much about it, thought it might be longer, but really seemed uninformed. But then he mentioned that one of the installers had come by to borrow a loaner a couple days ago to test a new SuperCharger in...wait for it... Columbia, MO!

Now, as I said, he was NOT particularly well informed even about the St. Charles charger in his home town. He didn't seem to know that Independence, MO was open, he did know that Effingham was opening soon. So I'm thinking his information on Columbia is bad...but has anyone looked around lately, or checked for permits? It's one of the last pieces of the I-70 puzzle, so there's some logic to it being true, but the silence in that area has been deafening so I'm very skeptical.

I still haven't found or heard anything about Columbia. I hope they put one there soon. I think Boonville or Kingdom City would probably be easy for Tesla to set up, but I really don't want to see this happen unless they do both. I think there are enough people who periodically commute to Columbia from KC and St. Louis that you really want the Supercharger to be in Columbia; if you pick either Boonville or Kingdom City (and not both), you screw over half of those people. I know Columbia doesn't look all that big on the map, but it has the University of Missouri, several smaller colleges, multiple large hospitals, and insurance company hubs. I myself regularly make trips to Columbia from KC for my work.

It wouldn't be as bad a problem if Columbia had good destination charging options, but it doesn't. There is only a single L2 public charger in the entire town of 100K plus people, and I still haven't even found it (can someone give an address or GPS coordinates of this mysterious charger?)

Last edited:
I still haven't found or heard anything about Columbia. I hope they put one there soon. I think Boonville or Kingdom City would probably be easy for Tesla to set up, but I really don't want to see this happy unless they do both. I think there are enough people who periodically commute to Columbia from KC and St. Louis that you really want the Supercharger to be in Columbia; if you pick either Boonville or Kingdom City (and not both), you screw over half of those people. I know Columbia doesn't look all that big on the map, but it has the University of Missouri, several smaller colleges, multiple large hospitals, and insurance company hubs. I myself regularly make trips to Columbia from KC for my work.

It wouldn't be as bad a problem if Columbia had good destination charging options, but it doesn't. There is only a single L2 public charger in the entire town of 100K plus people, and I still haven't even found it (can someone give an address or GPS coordinates of this mysterious charger?)

I'm with you, Columbia proper would be a much better location and more accommodating to those of us traveling from the Springfield, MO area as well. I made 2 trips there last year from home and could not take the Model S either time due to lack of any charging infrastructure along the route (other than RV parks which extend the travel time by at least 50% and probably more.

The Tesla destination charging page now lists a B&B in Rocheport, MO with an 80A HPWC. In addition, there's a new plugshare entry for Columbia, MO which looks like another Tesla destination location:
Tiger hotel HPWC and J1772: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/62987

In the past, I've used this Chargepoint location: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/14858 (requires membership and card or app, but free) It's less than a 10 minute walk from the Stoney Creek Hotel if you don't mind J-walking across the highway. Since I can't condone that, it's 15 minutes if you cross at the street light. For the next couple of months, the discount code "SPRING20" may get you 20% off a room.

The Tesla destination charging page now lists a B&B in Rocheport, MO with an 80A HPWC. In addition, there's a new plugshare entry for Columbia, MO which looks like another Tesla destination location:
Tiger hotel HPWC and J1772: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/62987

Nice seeing this as a new entry for Columbia. I'd love it if we could make a donation to The Tiger Hotel to charge up instead of needing to be a patron. Don't need to stay over night :) But I do need a charge now to make it back and forth to Kansas City from Saint Louis.

Nice seeing this as a new entry for Columbia. I'd love it if we could make a donation to The Tiger Hotel to charge up instead of needing to be a patron. Don't need to stay over night :) But I do need a charge now to make it back and forth to Kansas City from Saint Louis.

I think you should go now, talk to the GM and see what you can arrange for everyone.