Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching Netflix or YouTube in model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question, apologies if it has been answered before

When I watch either YouTube or Netflix over lte in my model 3, the internet connection send to be routed out of the uk.

Besides the obvious speed impact, it means I end up watching YouTube NL and can’t access some content on Netflix (eg Shitt’s Creek). The only way around this is to set a hot spot up on my phone and link it to the car Wi-Fi.

Is this normal? I have done some searches but struggled to find people with a similar experience.

many thanks

Drew

It's a european roaming eSIM. Until recently it would also roam through spain on some cars but there was some issue and cars were all switched to the netherlands.

It doesn't normally present any problems as neflix in the EU is almost identical to the UK one. Youtube might give you adverts in dutch occasionally though..

On 1st January, the UK left the ‘Digital Single Market’. This enables anyone travelling from one EU country to another EU country, to access the same streaming video library they’re subscribed to at home. This was how UK users could access their UK Netflix site via the in car SIM card, which is not linked to a UK provider (mine is The Netherlands). Now we can only access the Netflix site content of the sim provider country, despite having a UK Netflix account. You’ll need to connect via WiFi or your mobile hotspot to view content from the UK Netflix site.

I've lost access to a Slovak radio station on TuneIn since the new year.

It's also not available on the tunein.com website so seems some European stations that used to work in the car are now region restricted. Odd given the car thinks it's in NL though.

2021-01-18 10_41_01-Window.png

tune-in.jpg

With the caveat that my M3 is French*, I found 5Live through tune-in. They were talking about cricket but whether they broadcast live coverage, I don't know. I also seem to be able to get 5Extra - if that is of use.
(Sorry - I'm a motorsport fan meself:))

*I think all Euro region cars rely on Dutch SIM's because Tesla Euro HQ is in Amsterdam

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I'm sorry I did not acknowledge your feedback before, but I missed the post.

Thank you for taking a lot trouble to check - I appreciate it. I would really like to know if live cricket is possible with the Tesla.

The Monday broadcast you heard was probably a recording or a report, as the live transmission ended very early on morning Morning. A good time to check will be 4h-12h (5h-13h CET) in the next four days (Sat-Tue) on Radio 5 Live sports extra.

I don't seem to have Netflix - had a look in Entertainment but it was only the various games?

If the theatre tab is empty then you have the bug that was introduced last month, the fix is to change the cars display language to something else, let the system reboot, then set back to English, let it reboot again.