Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching Vidoes?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think it will be possible to watch videos one day on the center touch screen? I mean having Netflix or YouTube would be amazing for the kids while stopped at a charge station waiting 20-30 minutes. Do you agrees that the tech is there, and they just need to "update it"?

Do you guys think it will be possible to watch videos one day on the center touch screen? I mean having Netflix or YouTube would be amazing for the kids while stopped at a charge station waiting 20-30 minutes. Do you agrees that the tech is there, and they just need to "update it"?
While I was originally interested in this, lately I've been getting more conservative / protective w/r/t Tesla's "bets" and think they should step back from this. Most interested folks will have phones, tablets, etc. for viewing Netflix, etc. so there's not really a "need" so much as a "want".

While I was originally interested in this, lately I've been getting more conservative / protective w/r/t Tesla's "bets" and think they should step back from this. Most interested folks will have phones, tablets, etc. for viewing Netflix, etc. so there's not really a "need" so much as a "want".

I think they shouldn't (and can't, by law) allow it while the vehicle is in motion. But I see no reason, technical or ethical, why it shouldn't be allowed when the car is in park. I expect it will be possible--perhaps a year from now?

I think they shouldn't (and can't, by law) allow it while the vehicle is in motion. But I see no reason, technical or ethical, why it shouldn't be allowed when the car is in park. I expect it will be possible--perhaps a year from now?
I agree, but I just don't it's a battle worth fighting compared to the many other battles Tesla is fighting. For example, I would prioritize "cameras instead of side mirrors" above this.

I agree, but I just don't it's a battle worth fighting compared to the many other battles Tesla is fighting. For example, I would prioritize "cameras instead of side mirrors" above this.

I could be wrong, but AFAIK the law currently allows video to be played by a display visible to the driver when the car is in park--so I don't believe Tesla would have to fight any battles with this.

I could be wrong, but AFAIK the law currently allows video to be played by a display visible to the driver when the car is in park--so I don't believe Tesla would have to fight any battles with this.
If that's indeed the case in all regions of at least some markets, then I have no concerns with them offering this functionality in those markets.

I think that's correct. My old Cadillac CTS could play DVDs on the pop-up Nav screen, but only if the car was in Park.

It would be great to watch videos if stuck somewhere charging for a while.

The problem is that this will be technically difficult as Tesla would have to literally modify the behavior of the web browser based on the car's drivetrain status. It's not as simple as just killing the DVD player unless the parking brake is on or some such.

I would suggest they spend time to get the internal hotspot working so the car would advertise a WiFi network and allow devices to use it's 3G connection. This way you could use WiFi tablets or phones and browse that way.

The problem is that this will be technically difficult as Tesla would have to literally modify the behavior of the web browser based on the car's drivetrain status. It's not as simple as just killing the DVD player unless the parking brake is on or some such.

I would suggest they spend time to get the internal hotspot working so the car would advertise a WiFi network and allow devices to use it's 3G connection. This way you could use WiFi tablets or phones and browse that way.

I'm thinking a video app, outside the browser.