Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water dripping into the trunk from the rear glass?

Water leaking into your model 3 trunk?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a "flaw" in the overall design. If it was smaller stream of water, likely would run off the window and down ahead of the trunk seal. Since it was larger stream of water that had some speed, it shoots off the window and trunk seal is low enough to not stop it. Probably difficult to design trunk opening that can account for every possible variable. I'm sure most any car that has trunk or hatch is going to have some scenario where some amount of water or drips will not get stopped. Just a quirk have to deal with unfortunately.

Just a "flaw" in the overall design. If it was smaller stream of water, likely would run off the window and down ahead of the trunk seal. Since it was larger stream of water that had some speed, it shoots off the window and trunk seal is low enough to not stop it. Probably difficult to design trunk opening that can account for every possible variable. I'm sure most any car that has trunk or hatch is going to have some scenario where some amount of water or drips will not get stopped. Just a quirk have to deal with unfortunately.
It’s pretty bad when there’s heavy rain.
The video I took was just from a light rain situation. The rubber seal that’s suppose to catch the water is not doing it’s job.

I’m more curious if this is happening to a lot of the model 3 or only certain car with some bad sealing

Reactions: chinnam3
Same issue on mine. Any time you have a wet trunk lid, the water runs straight down into the trunk from the rear window. They're going to have to redesign the trunk seal. Another fun one is when the automatic wipers turn themselves on before you can shut the driver's door, shooting water on to the inside of the door and the floor.

Same issue on mine. Any time you have a wet trunk lid, the water runs straight down into the trunk from the rear window. They're going to have to redesign the trunk seal. Another fun one is when the automatic wipers turn themselves on before you can shut the driver's door, shooting water on to the inside of the door and the floor.
They come on before you actually attempt to drive? Seems to me like they should only come on once you hit the brake pedal. Someone should tweet @ Elon with a video showing that!

Reactions: chinnam3
or automatically shut off when any door is opened.... Seems like a simple fix for the wipers.... The trunk issue.... No so easy.... redesign of the seal could be possible.... but based on the speed in which the water rolls down, that seal would have to have a pretty high lip to stop it...

Reactions: lklundin
or automatically shut off when any door is opened.... Seems like a simple fix for the wipers.... The trunk issue.... No so easy.... redesign of the seal could be possible.... but based on the speed in which the water rolls down, that seal would have to have a pretty high lip to stop it...
i feel it will be more than seal re-design, more like frame adjustments to give more space between glass and trunk lip.

Reactions: Ulmo
i feel it will be more than seal re-design, more like frame adjustments to give more space between glass and trunk lip.
Ironically, I think this space was reduced after the irrational uproar around the perceived size of the trunk opening. Wouldn't bet a paycheck on it, but I enjoy irony, so am posting accordingly.