Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water dripping into the trunk from the rear glass?

Water leaking into your model 3 trunk?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trunk in my new model 3 ( lower rear compartment ) is always wet. After a heavy rain yesterday there was a lot of water in there. It isn't coming from opening the trunk while wet, but this is a big problem. I believe it is coming in from under the top of the taillight where it mates to the body. I'll know more when they come to replace the waterlogged left taillight. The top of the taillight mounting is outside the trunk seal and it looks like it could easily channel water from above it right underneath the taillight assy. Like I said, I'll know more when I see it removed.

The trunk in my new model 3 ( lower rear compartment ) is always wet. After a heavy rain yesterday there was a lot of water in there. It isn't coming from opening the trunk while wet, but this is a big problem. I believe it is coming in from under the top of the taillight where it mates to the body. I'll know more when they come to replace the waterlogged left taillight. The top of the taillight mounting is outside the trunk seal and it looks like it could easily channel water from above it right underneath the taillight assy. Like I said, I'll know more when I see it removed.
This only happened to me once (the one time we got heavy rain), since it barely ever rain here in California. Took it to SC and they were not able to re-produce this.

Also wet in the trunk lower rear compartment. I guess I’ll have to wait until the rainy season to find out.

Last night I opened that under storage area to get my charger and it was flooded! I haven't opened that compartment in weeks and no telling how long the waters been in there. I live in Florida and its been raining non freaking stop! Has anyone found any resolution from Service Center locating the issue and fixed it? I'm curious how long it took them.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I recommend every Model 3 user watch the below video.

There is a very thorough and much more informative thread at Water in Trunk After Delivery

If you are boycotting that web site, then note that it has been causing repair-worthy damage, and this is the best information on the problem I've seen:

Lol who tries to close the trunk like that? Just make sure the trunk is closed like you would close a normal non powered trunk.

There is a very thorough and much more informative thread at Water in Trunk After Delivery

If you are boycotting that web site, then note that it has been causing repair-worthy damage, and this is the best information on the problem I've seen:

GREAT VIDEO in summarizing all the same exact problems i've been having since delivery. especially back in January/Feb rainy times.

Took me forever to find why my trunk got drenched and SC wasn't even able to reproduce until that Rain video i posted and realized what was happening. Told SC and nothing they can do, it's engineering design flaw.

Regarding the closing, i asked SC to replace the Gas Struts, supposedly they have a newer struts that are much easier to close. The only reason i found out because i went to Tesla Store at Stanford mall and noticed how easy it was to close the trunk on the M3 on display!
I went to SC right away and asked for new struts, will be getting it replaced next week, we shall see how it goes.

So the "design flaw" is that you need to shut the trunk all the way? Wow!

Pulled into the garage one day after driving in the rain, and all the residual water from the roof/back glass poured right in when I popped open the trunk. It hasn’t happened often (despite the every day rains), but I knew it would be a problem the first time I saw it.

As an aside, my neighbor has a Model X, and said she had a similar issue with her falcon wing doors when she got it. If it was raining, the water would fill up the diversion channel, and overflow into the gap between the door and the car - creating a waterfall for passengers to pass through. Eventually, Tesla issued a fix, and the SC repaired it at no cost.

So, if enough people make noise, they may be able to fix it. Otherwise, mind the gap.

With regards to water shooting straight down into the trunk when you open the trunk. Any updates on a fix for this? I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten more attention. With the thunderstorms we’ve been having in the tri-state area. This seems like pretty big design flaw. That would impact more people....outside of CA.

That’s what I was thinking. If you don’t close it all the way, it will get wet.

I ageee with that part.....just close your trunk. But the real design flaw is that if it’s raining and you open your trunk to put something in or take out....water will run down into your trunk....when it should fall into the channel and down the sides of the trunk.