Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water dripping into the trunk from the rear glass?

Water leaking into your model 3 trunk?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked my Infiniti G37 the other day. The glass is quite a bit lower than the trunk gasket. And I’ve never had issues with water running down into the trunk. I can’t believe Tesla overlooked this. Well. I kinda can actually.

There’s got to be a way they can fix it with a better redesign of the gaskets. I just don’t think it’s being talked about that much, getting the traction and concerns voiced to Tesla. We’ve been getting slammed lately with thunderstorms. I haven’t even received my car yet and of all the issues people have been posting about this is one of the top concerns I have. I’d hate to have to open my trunk and water come rushing in whenever it’s raining. A trunk mat will be one of the first things I’ll be ordering....along with an extra microfiber drying towel to keep in the trunk.

Heck maybe they should at least be throwing in the all weather trunk mat lol.

Reactions: FlyErik
0AF7832E-038F-4B84-9A50-4871AC3FEAB7.jpeg
B98F8127-185C-4596-8DBE-18774BCF720F.jpeg

Anyone figure this out yet?

Yes, they have a new re-designed trunk seal for this. Attached is the older (above) vs newer design (below)

C54AAA8B-E25F-44EF-B997-0083974A411F.jpeg
43D849C3-0970-4A48-BBBB-67DC85001B89.jpeg
207B3B57-B407-43D1-A5F4-D898D9C7086D.jpeg

@chibi_kurochan, I thought the issue was when it rained heavily the water became a torrent and the speed of it sent the water flying over the gasket instead of letting it drop down off the window ledge. Looking at the newer photos of the seal from the showroom I still see that happening if you follow the line of the window downward. The window ledge extends too far out to not cause a rapid flow of water from making the ski jump beyond the seal.

My Model 3 is in for due bill but am curious what type seal I have but seeing this I don't believe it will matter. What I have learned from the videos is that 1) when you close your trunk (just like the frunk too) you should try to lift it to make sure it's completely latched, 2) don't plan on opening the trunk when its raining hard otherwise be prepared with a trunk liner and towel to mop up.

BTW there's another thread on here that I saw about this same subject and the two should probably be combined. Same videos posted and similar comments.

As for water in the lower trunk area compartment, one of the things on our due bill was a wrinkled trunk liner. Have to wonder if it was due to water getting down there via the trunk or light or from below somehow. The car is steel and aluminum and don't want to have rusting out parts due to leaking water issues.

Last edited:
I seem to recall before the car went into production one of the last areas they changed was the trunk, redesigning it to make the opening wider...and maybe how it opened...we hadn't been considering a Model 3 at that point so not super attentive to the details. Maybe that got rushed and not everything was thought out. This will be an inconvenience if you need to get groceries out of the trunk when it's raining. I can see waiting for the rain to let up to get them but most of the time you have things that need to get in the refrig or freezer. And if you postpone getting stuff out of the trunk you certainly don't want to walk away and forget them.

Recently delivered Model 3, new gasket design based on chibi’s pictures and the first California drizzle this weekend produced rivulets of water that would easily jump the gap when the trunk is open. The seal at the bottom edge of the glass simply isn’t designed to divert water and the gasket around the trunk lip is lower than the glass.

Just measured a similarly sized Mercedes trunk and there was a right angle lip on the bottom window seal to divert water and the trunk gasket was ~1/2” higher than the bottom edge of the glass as well. Seems like the solution would be easy if they put some effort into it.

Reactions: Ulmo
Knowing all this from TMC already I bought a waterproof liner for my trunk area to at least minimize any water damage to the trunk area carpeting if I have to open the trunk during the rain. I strongly believe this happened when they were close to production and got lots of feedback from potential customers on redesigning the trunk opening for more cargo space. Maybe not all thought out or just no time to make adjustments with other parts like the glass on order.

Better that people are aware of it ahead of time than getting a trunk full of water by surprise. That's why reading these threads can be helpful.

We've had our first real rain here in California since I took delivery of my car. And Those of you who have not experienced the issue should maybe stop talking about how we just need to close the trunk all the way... or even that this is only a problem in "heavy" rain. The problem exists any time the car is wet, and you wish to access the trunk. And yes I have a plastic liner in the trunk. The thing Is... I also put stuff in the trunk that I don't wish to get wet. This is a real PITA, and the only way to avoid it is to swipe all the water off the back window and the lid of the trunk before opening. EVERY time. Generally while standing out int he rain. This isn't a little problem of a sprinkle of water. This is a real pain when you're traveling with a full car of people and gear.... and when you need to quickly grab a jacket from the trunk... and you get your entire clothing bag doused with rainwater.

I've been asked how the car "does in the rain." And that isn't an easy answer. It handles like a dream in foul weather. But.... opening the doors or the trunk in the wet is troubling at best.

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4
Its a design flaw and if that water damages any safety related items it will have to be a recall.
Cant believe they dont test that. Its not an edge case.
My guess is they keep quiet about it and will change the metal design at some point.
Best to wait for V2.