Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Flowing into the Trunk Fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
My 2018 Model 3 warranty expires in a few months and I'm wondering if Tesla ever fixed the issue when a wet car would have water flowing right into the trunk after opening it. I heard they might have a better trunk seal but not sure if it actually works and if does, then I'm going to try and get this fixed via my remaining warranty.

2021+ models have a hook-shaped weatherstrip along the bottom edge of the glass instead of the simple flat blade weatherstrip. It seems like the hook design should work ok but it has never rained where I live so I wouldn't know.
They're not going to upgrade your car as a warranty service but if you ever have to replace your rear window they might be able to include the new design.

Oh so it's a change to the seal on the rear window then and not the gasket around the trunk opening. The original design has doesn't seem like it was even tested. And you can't say....well it's a Tesla car built in California and it never rains there. Because it does rain here and people still wash their cars and sometimes have to open the trunk while the car is still wet. Tesla does water testing so they had to know about this issue. But I had the understanding that Tesla came out with a thicker trunk seal and that was a warranty replacement, so that's what I am going to see if they can do that.

Last edited:
The only way to replace that seal/gasket is to remove the rear glass panel... 100% not worth it, especially since the redesigned part has a big section cut out on the left-hand side to accomodate the newer OEM auto-trunk lifter (the thick powered one found on that same side).

You can simply take some queues from the newer 3s and apply a few choice perforations to the original seal for roughly the same effect.

Here's a pic of the new design, it's very thin just like the original, but shaped like C instead of _

1663523412043.png